Major problems?

James glover

May 19, 2019
England
Hi i am considering buying a commencal but first I would like to know if anyone has had any problems with the bike or if the regret buying it?

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
I’ve had 1.5 minor issues that where addressed very well

1) I broke a spoke on the rear wheel. When removing the cassette to swap the spoke I didn’t have the modern tool for a 12mm axle so I used the standard FR5 I’ve had for years. I needed to removed the axle “cone” for it to get a good purchase on the spines. Well that let the outboard bearing on the xd driver come off with the cassette. It was 70% my doing. I reached out to Commencal USA and they wanted to see a photo. I followed up with them later that afternoon realizing that it was likely caused by the removed cone and I had pressed the bearing back into place. A week later I get an email that they talked to their hub supplier and I had an older style xd driver and they would like to send me a revised one. They wanted a shipping address

2) After 4 more rides, 2 more spokes broke at the nipple on the rear wheel I reached out again to see if this was a known issue or just my luck. Since the beginning when I was contemplating a purchase they told me up front the bike had a 264lb rider weight limit. Well I was 260 when I got the bike. Now I’m 240 after 4 months of riding. I’m not happy about the spoke breakage but the reality is I’m too big to ride fast on a heavy bike with machine built wheels. I had a local shop re-string the wheel with higher quality spokes in hope of creating a more durable wheel. While they didn’t offer to cover any of the cost I see it as a wear item because of my size and riding style. (Clydesdale tax) They were searching the office for a shirt or something they could send as a goodwill gesture but they only had skinny euro sizes. They sent me an extra derailleur hanger instead.

Overall I’m super happy with the bike and Commencal USA has been wonderful to deal with.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
So... to be accurate - neither of which were issues with the bike itself, but one was improper tools and the other was pushing the weight limit. Good to hear they helped you out anyways, although I'm not surprised, as I've found that the crew at Commencal USA have always been great with customer service (I'm on my 3rd Commencal)

Just curious, which wheel spec (hub/rim/spokes) did you have issues with?

spacemonkey

Sep 29, 2018
belgium
No problems what so ever. Certainly compared to my first gen Levo.
Customer service is great too
Can't go wrong here, great value and loads of fun
Only thing i would change are tyres...schwalbe is too weak. Go for for the new Michelin ebike specific tyre E-Wild 2,6

Ambleve-the rock.jpg

jptbiow

May 20, 2019
UK
Rear axel came loose... Telltale was the brake in my case. Felt like it needed re bleeding. I have the meta power 29 signature, and other than the tyres I have no complaints. At 150km so far, and hit rogate b1kepark yesterday. Bike rocked.

Last edited:

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Mine shed its chain a few times when new on first couple of rides after about 10 miles. Commencal made suggestions re cable routing which solved it, sadly after paint was damaged. I had checked shifting on initial build from box, but the stand never seems the same as riding! Creaking after about 200 miles so removed pedals and cranks and regreased and tightened (again at Commencal's advise). Lyrik shock on wife's bike had 20% preload unweighted. Again after talking to Commencal, took the bike for a couple of hard rides and the chambers evened out, now sags at about 5% unweighted. Front tyre seems prone to quite small thorns. Nothing really serious and more just bike maintenance. Both love our bikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles