Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL Miles vs Warranty!

Tpilot

Jul 12, 2020
Germany
After 900Km I have an annoying whistling noise in the Motorunit. Only if the Motor is not active (above 25 Km/h or when shut off).
Does anybody experience something similar?

MacCruzIn

Aug 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Has anyone had a motor/system failure on an SL yet? I haven't heard of one on the forum, and reports of Creo's with faults seem thin on the ground. Hopefully a good sign
Unfortunately I had a failure to boot yesterday, Levo SL Expert, really high temps in Bay Area. Not easy to find help, so I joined this forum. Due to COVID-19 shops are insanely busy and waiting to take it in to service, will post a new thread on topic.

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA
Unfortunately I had a failure to boot yesterday, Levo SL Expert, really high temps in Bay Area. Not easy to find help, so I joined this forum. Due to COVID-19 shops are insanely busy and waiting to take it in to service, will post a new thread on topic.
What kind of failure? I’m also in the Bay Area and wondering what LBS do you deal with?

MacCruzIn

Aug 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Hi,
Levo SL Expert
Purchased 7/24/20
277 miles - couple of weeks of riding almost daily.
Santa Cruz CA Area Rider

Fails to boot. Not sure of cause, I am a Sr iOS Bluetooth expert, but I don't know much about the Levo SL OS or CPU platform, no tools to debug, but certainly as qualified as any shop tech to diagnose if I had the tools. Last ride was on Saturday 8/15 on the Flow trail in Demo forrest. Went early morning, but it got hot and dusty quickly, went to front of the pack quickly in turbo mode. No problem on the ride, this bike was built for Demo, love it! Took Sunday off, temps in the 100s, tried a cool coast ride yesterday and Levo SL OS would not boot. Decided to plug in charger and eventually got connected and error from Mission Control to call retailer. Recharged and thought it was OK, but failed to boot again. Thought good time to try without power and while it's was slow going very happy I did not have a heavier bike and was able to cruise around West Cliff. About 30 minutes into ride tried the power again and it booted. Finished the ride in power mode, but didn't want to risk going to Wilder and have it fail again. Won't boot this morning. Specialized shop on River St is closed M/Tu, waiting for Spokesman to return my call, bike shops are insanely busy these days, trying to be mindful of the circumstance, but this is a bummer.

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA
Hi,
Levo SL Expert
Purchased 7/24/20
277 miles - couple of weeks of riding almost daily.
Santa Cruz CA Area Rider

Fails to boot. Not sure of cause, I am a Sr iOS Bluetooth expert, but I don't know much about the Levo SL OS or CPU platform, no tools to debug, but certainly as qualified as any shop tech to diagnose if I had the tools. Last ride was on Saturday 8/15 on the Flow trail in Demo forrest. Went early morning, but it got hot and dusty quickly, went to front of the pack quickly in turbo mode. No problem on the ride, this bike was built for Demo, love it! Took Sunday off, temps in the 100s, tried a cool coast ride yesterday and Levo SL OS would not boot. Decided to plug in charger and eventually got connected and error from Mission Control to call retailer. Recharged and thought it was OK, but failed to boot again. Thought good time to try without power and while it's was slow going very happy I did not have a heavier bike and was able to cruise around West Cliff. About 30 minutes into ride tried the power again and it booted. Finished the ride in power mode, but didn't want to risk going to Wilder and have it fail again. Won't boot this morning. Specialized shop on River St is closed M/Tu, waiting for Spokesman to return my call, bike shops are insanely busy these days, trying to be mindful of the circumstance, but this is a bummer.
Wow that’s interesting. I’m in San Jose and Trailhead cycles has been awesome. Not that I have had issues with my expert. My wife had trouble with the brakes on her Sworks.
On a side note. Careful riding an Ebike in Demo. I’ve heard enforcement is coming. Just a heads up.
Really interested to hear what’s wrong. I’ve been riding mine in the Africa heat at Henry Coe lately

MacCruzIn

Aug 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
What kind of failure? I’m also in the Bay Area and wondering what LBS do you deal with?
No error code, just "Call retailer" see my post on circumstances. Specialized River St shop is closed M/Tu, Spokeman has not return my call yet, but they are insanely busy. You can send a diagnostic file, but you have to connect 1st. Might be related to high temps, but only in the 80's when I was riding, it's in my garage, it was 105 on Sunday and decided not to ride.

MacCruzIn

Aug 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Wow that’s interesting. I’m in San Jose and Trailhead cycles has been awesome. Not that I have had issues with my expert. My wife had trouble with the brakes on her Sworks.
On a side note. Careful riding an Ebike in Demo. I’ve heard enforcement is coming. Just a heads up.
Really interested to hear what’s wrong. I’ve been riding mine in the Africa heat at Henry Coe lately
I know nothing about a ban in Demo, been riding trails since 1984 and help build Flow and Sawpit with MBOSC as a volunteer. That being said, the StumpJumper is a different breed of pedal assist bike. I know the State Parks rangers, no hiding who I am, I get no advantage on the downhill. What I do get is advantage on the uphill, with plenty of room to pass on the fire roads. We'll see how it goes, but I am ready to lawyer up if necessary and take it to a judge!

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA
I know nothing about a ban in Demo, been riding trails since 1984 and help build Flow and Sawpit with MBOSC as a volunteer. That being said, the StumpJumper is a different breed of pedal assist bike. I know the State Parks rangers, no hiding who I am, I get no advantage on the downhill. What I do get is advantage on the uphill, with plenty of room to pass on the fire roads. We'll see how it goes, but I am ready to lawyer up if necessary and take it to a judge!
year there are signs posted at the start of Ridge Trail and the top of Sulfer. It’s a bullshit ban but this is what I got from then

**This is from Cal Fire**
The Soquel Demonstration State Forest is not a park dedicated to public recreation. Recreation is a secondary activity to demonstrations, investigations and education in forest management per California Board of Forestry and Fire Protection policy. The enabling legislation (AB 4660) for SDSF establishes that management is to emphasize monitoring and studies of forest operations and watershed protection, public education and protection of old growth redwood trees. Board of Forestry policy establishes that recreation is to be rustic and non-motorized and is generally considered compatible at the state’s demonstration forests, although secondary. Board of Forestry policy also establishes that special uses benefiting non-forestry and/or private interests are low priority and discourages such conflicting uses.
SDSF has become wildly popular with mountain bikers and as the Forest Manager I have worked with the mountain biking community to provide additional trails and high-quality trails for mountain biking. This along with growing population density and the increasing mountain biking community has led to even more popularity over the past decade essentially tripling the number of visitors to SDSF while staffing levels have remained the same.
CAL FIRE’s commitment for emergency response due to mountain biker injuries and requests for medical assistance has been a growing problem. With the remote rural setting CAL FIRE has performed numerous air rescues and technical rescues at SDSF. Most of these responses for medical aid occur during the summer when CAL FIRE is much busier with wildland fire responses. These responses to SDSF and the neighboring Forest of Nisene Marks State Park for technical rescues and aid can be long and complicated with fatalities of mountain bikers occurring in recent years. Generally, those who are injured have taken risks they are not capable of managing without injury. The addition of ebikes (bikes with motors) leads to conflicts with non-ebikers and hikers as well as an added complication for rescue by CAL FIRE and also for self rescue.
Prohibiting ebikes is one mechanism to alleviate the growing pressure on the 2700-acre forest with a high density of mountain biking trails and users so that the limited CAL FIRE personnel can meet the mandates and goals of the General Forest Management Plan and the CAL FIRE mission.
There are also other factors at play but these are the main reasons for the prohibition of ebikes and the factors that have most heavily weighed on the decision. This decision was made along with all SDSF staff, supervisors, the state forest program manager and all the state forest managers at other Demonstration State Forests and is consistent.

MacCruzIn

Aug 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Levo SL in shop, they were not able to get it to boot either, expert is in on Thursday. I suspect they are going to have to replace the CPU Head unit. Air quality sucks in Santa Cruz CA with all the fires and not smart to ride anyways. I morn the loss of our beautiful Redwood Forests and all the local wildlife, I love you with my heart and soul! A change is going to come ...

Last edited:

MacCruzIn

Aug 18, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
year there are signs posted at the start of Ridge Trail and the top of Sulfer. It’s a bullshit ban but this is what I got from then

The Soquel Demonstration State Forest is not a park dedicated to public recreation. Recreation is a secondary activity to demonstrations, investigations and education in forest management per California Board of Forestry and Fire Protection policy. The enabling legislation (AB 4660) for SDSF establishes that management is to emphasize monitoring and studies of forest operations and watershed protection, public education and protection of old growth redwood trees. Board of Forestry policy establishes that recreation is to be rustic and non-motorized and is generally considered compatible at the state’s demonstration forests, although secondary. Board of Forestry policy also establishes that special uses benefiting non-forestry and/or private interests are low priority and discourages such conflicting uses.
SDSF has become wildly popular with mountain bikers and as the Forest Manager I have worked with the mountain biking community to provide additional trails and high-quality trails for mountain biking. This along with growing population density and the increasing mountain biking community has led to even more popularity over the past decade essentially tripling the number of visitors to SDSF while staffing levels have remained the same.
CAL FIRE’s commitment for emergency response due to mountain biker injuries and requests for medical assistance has been a growing problem. With the remote rural setting CAL FIRE has performed numerous air rescues and technical rescues at SDSF. Most of these responses for medical aid occur during the summer when CAL FIRE is much busier with wildland fire responses. These responses to SDSF and the neighboring Forest of Nisene Marks State Park for technical rescues and aid can be long and complicated with fatalities of mountain bikers occurring in recent years. Generally, those who are injured have taken risks they are not capable of managing without injury. The addition of ebikes (bikes with motors) leads to conflicts with non-ebikers and hikers as well as an added complication for rescue by CAL FIRE and also for self rescue.
Prohibiting ebikes is one mechanism to alleviate the growing pressure on the 2700-acre forest with a high density of mountain biking trails and users so that the limited CAL FIRE personnel can meet the mandates and goals of the General Forest Management Plan and the CAL FIRE mission.
There are also other factors at play but these are the main reasons for the prohibition of ebikes and the factors that have most heavily weighed on the decision. This decision was made along with all SDSF staff, supervisors, the state forest program manager and all the state forest managers at other Demonstration State Forests and is consistent.

Firstly, I morn the loss of our beautiful Redwood forest and all the wild life in the Bay Area, I love you with my heart and soul! I wish the State Parks personnel health and safety as you battle the current round of fires in the Bay Area.

Secondly, this is not directed at Vin829 but rather any California State Park officials who might be monitoring.

-=-==-=

Interesting declaration and not a fair use of our tax dollars. This policy was not open to the public for discussion and is discriminatory against a specific class of people, namely older riders who have invested in Ebikes. I compare this against the public discussion that were hosted about San Vincent and Costal Dairies in the Spring of 2020.

Ca State Parks was happy to use my 35 years of trail experiences and training as a MBOSC trail boss as a Volunteer to build the trails in Demo. Then turns around and bans me from using the trails because I purchased a Ebike for medical reasons?

I will carry a note from my Cardiologist that I risk stoke if I redline my heart for extended periods of time and if State Parks wants to ticket and fine me, then I look forward to pleading my case before a Judge.

A Specialized Levo SL has specific technology to monitor my heart and boost power when I get into the danger zone, it's called Smart Mode. The Levo SL is under 500 Watts, 2:1 power ratio, and weighs less than 40Lbs, and should not be banned if you have a medical reason. No throttle, only pedal assist.

Ca State Parks should take a lesson from the FAA on how they handle Drone regulations, it's done by weight and by implication power. Common sense should prevail and thus far no one has challenged me on my rides, which I do solo, and off hours when possible. However, I just purchased the bike, time will tell.

Soquel Demonstration Forrest is located in the heart of Silicon Valley. Technical innovation should be part of the master plan, and not the exclusive domain of younger riders. Older riders and technical innovation should also be included. The facts are older riders battled to get access to Sequel Demo Forrest and as we age we look to technology to keep up our fitness and health and maintain our access to the trails we love.

I try and ride the Flow and Sawpit at least once a month because this is what I love. I worked really hard and put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into building these trails!

This policy, without any public comment or input is a kick in the teeth to 1,000s of volunteers, many who are Mountain Bikers, who help build the Soquel Demonstration Forrest trail system as it stands today.

Last edited:

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
No that was a different rider. Had too much play on my crankshaft, internal thrust washer busted and also the bike went totally dead, turned out the battery had pinched cable in frame.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
20 SL Expert carbon
466 miles since May
0 issues except warranty on a crank

20 Sworks Levo
1195 miles since April
0 issues

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
2,673kms, lots on some pretty harsh local trails. Many upgrades but no warranty issues, touch wood...

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Seems to be quite a mix of experiences. Out of interest, those who didn't mention one, for what specific reasons are you getting motors replaced?

Ferd

Nov 30, 2020
CA
2021 Levo SL Comp.
153 miles
2 issues:
Jockey Pulley Failure at about mile 12
Motor Failure at mile 130 or so.

mtbrdan

Aug 5, 2020
Scotts Valley,CA
1600 miles with no issues.

Spoke to soon, first symptom was rough on/off power delivery, leading to a couple random motor cut outs, then a full shut down. Was able to get it to power back up and finished a shorten ride ( stayed close to home ), took it in, electrical connections were checked and I was declared good to go. Second ride after heading out for a long one the same errors occurred, rode around a few laps to try to replicate the failure without success and now it is back in the shop. TBD.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Does it look like when the engine starts to be 6 months older and the mileage of the 1000 km range starts, the engines start to break down?
In percentages the same category as in Levo's.

This came to mind...

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Here are a couple of SL motors that are running fine with >1000 km -

Levo SL, 9 months, 2,336 km

Levo SL miles.jpg

Creo SL, 3 months, 1340 km

Creo SL miles.jpg

And then there’s my regular Stumpjumper whose motor is over three quarters of a century old with an untold number of miles. Peak power and range are down, but it’s still running. Still all original parts, though it has undergone many repairs. Seems to do best in Eco or Trail modes with only short bursts of Turbo.

EKG.jpg

I’m counting on it outlasting the SL Mahle motors! ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles