Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL Expert - First Ride

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Why is £7.5k silly money for an emtb but fine for a motorbike? Doesn't make any sense to me.

relative complexity and longevity of the product I'd say.

doesn't bother me though. markets are markets, producer sets a price, consumers choose to buy or not. we've no entitlement to electric mountain bikes at the price we feel 'fair'. these are just **rich peoples' toys, no one is being exploited.

** you may not feel it but if you can contemplate buying a leisure product at minimum cost £5k, you're rich.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Well - local dealer had his first return today. Picked it up Friday and failed on Sunday.
Was not even looked at - shipped back to importer untouched. Waiting to hear what the issue was.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
I've stepped away from Specialized after owning 2 of their ebikes.
Until they sort their motors and electronics out, I'm not giving them any more of my money.

same here

18 sworks - motor and battery failed
19 expert - motor failed

i got 2 years more warranty when i got the new motor, will be selling it by then....will keep an eye on SL reliability or maybe by then its Gen 2

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
Until they sort their motors and electronics out, I'm not giving them any more of my money.

I have to agree with you here mate, my levo expert was just a lottery bike, so may times I had problems with it just turning it on. On the motor failures and harness problems my lbs were amazing tho and I guess they don’t want to be fixing 6 month old bikes a few times a year for everyone. I think I got rid of mine in time, as now I seen a s works sell on here for 4600, levo experts going for 3500. Every advert is the same, just had new motor or tcu fitted. The bike when working is great fun just a tad heavy , I’d love a SL but I’ll be waiting this time to see how reliable they are.
many shops will do people favours with motors myb but there a business at the end of the day and how long can they keep fitting motors for free outside the 2 year warranty.

they should have a min of 4-5 year warranty like many other appliances.you Could buy 7 boilers with 10 year warranty each for the expert cost.... bike manufacturers need to support us better, they could do that but makes me think they know there not reliable and make more money fitting electrics further down the line.
marketing has everyone brainwashed tho, me included lol.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Not long back from the LBS, where I have asked them to return the Rail under the 30 day satisfaction guarantee. They have ordered me the SL Expert in black - and it should be here in a few days.

Now, I need to order the X01 AXS upgrade kit, and the Reverb AXS. Ideally I’d like a slightly shorter carbon crank (165 instead of 170), and need to get some rubber boots for it - as the demo one had a few chips after 2 rides!
I have ENVE bars and stem on my Stumpy that I’m going to ‘borrow’ for now. A 2.6 tyre for upfront, and I’ll see how that rides.

I had reservations about the brakes and forks being a bit skimpy... but they seemed ok on the demo. Again, see how they go.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts

High Rock Ruti

I just got a full refund on a 2019 Turbo Levo S Works four (4) motors in less than a thousand miles, what kids of issues did you have with your Specialized?

Warm Regards

Ruti

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
High Rock Ruti

I just got a full refund on a 2019 Turbo Levo S Works four (4) motors in less than a thousand miles, what kids of issues did you have with your Specialized?

Warm Regards

Ruti
Same as you, 2 motor and 3 power leads.
It got to the point where they couldn't be trusted, especially if you were going away with them.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Not long back from the LBS, where I have asked them to return the Rail under the 30 day satisfaction guarantee. They have ordered me the SL Expert in black - and it should be here in a few days.

Now, I need to order the X01 AXS upgrade kit, and the Reverb AXS. Ideally I’d like a slightly shorter carbon crank (165 instead of 170), and need to get some rubber boots for it - as the demo one had a few chips after 2 rides!
I have ENVE bars and stem on my Stumpy that I’m going to ‘borrow’ for now. A 2.6 tyre for upfront, and I’ll see how that rides.

I had reservations about the brakes and forks being a bit skimpy... but they seemed ok on the demo. Again, see how they go.

I bought a bunch of Maxxis tyres on Swiss Ebay one was a 2.5 Asegui, that worked a treat in wet Swiss conditions. Currently trying a mullet setup on my Levo so using the 2.3 hillbilly it came with. I love the look of fat tyres but skinny seems to grip better, so maybe 2.5 instead of 2.6?

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I bought a bunch of Maxxis tyres on Swiss Ebay one was a 2.5 Asegui, that worked a treat in wet Swiss conditions. Currently trying a mullet setup on my Levo so using the 2.3 hillbilly it came with. I love the look of fat tyres but skinny seems to grip better, so maybe 2.5 instead of 2.6?

in mud go skinny and knobbly.

Peter Hill

Dec 31, 2018
Derbyshire
I was excited about the new SL model due to the weight being less, but the base Comp model is £5k and around 19.4kg which I don't consider very 'light'.

If I want the 16.9kg S-Works model that is sort of 'light', it's £10,999! o_O

Think I'll just buy a new MTB... and a nice car! :cool:
£10,999
£10,999
So the base model with an extender battery (which you will need on a longer ride!)is roughly the same weight as my S-Works Full Fat Levo! mmm dont feel so bad now :)
Its a shame you really have to go to the carbon + models to gain the significant weight reduction?

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
So the base model with an extender battery (which you will need on a longer ride!)is roughly the same weight as my S-Works Full Fat Levo! mmm dont feel so bad now :)
Its a shame you really have to go to the carbon + models to gain the significant weight reduction?

Spesh claim 4kg saving all through the model range like for like.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
What are you claiming as a long ride? as the stock SL battery in testing from most people is doing the same if not more distance than the stock full fat battery.
Either way both you'd need range extenders if you need it for both.

Biggest thing with the SL is alot of the time you dont even need the motor on, it rides like a normal like, and just engage it when you require a extra boost. Which you can't do on a full fat unless you like riding with what feels like flat tyres.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

S-works Levo v’s Aluminium SL is about £5k difference. I’d hope that there was a big weight difference.
Compare apples with apples. Levo S-works vs SL S-works!

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
S-works Levo v’s Aluminium SL is about £5k difference. I’d hope that there was a big weight difference.
Compare apples with apples. Levo S-works vs SL S-works!

Don’t necessarily need to do that (Apple to pineapples comparison? :) ). SL Comp Carbon 18.1kg (large, no pedals, tubeless) £6k, Levo S-Works £10k - what’s that 2.5-3kg difference at nearly half the price?

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
seems odd to me to buy an SL on the assumption of always using the extender. if "range" is your thing, especially if you're worried about pedalling your bike, get the Levo.

on range equivalence: very plausible to me but I'm assuming the SL rider is working harder and going slower. I'm betting if effort and pace are equivalent, the SL without extender will run out first compared to a 500Wh Levo.

anyone who's not sure which but knows they want "an e-bike" probably should get the Levo.

the SL is a Stumpy that can give you a push.

JSQ

Jan 28, 2020
Finland
seems odd to me to buy an SL on the assumption of always using the extender. if "range" is your thing, especially if you're worried about pedalling your bike, get the Levo.

on range equivalence: very plausible to me but I'm assuming the SL rider is working harder and going slower. I'm betting if effort and pace are equivalent, the SL without extender will run out first compared to a 500Wh Levo.

anyone who's not sure which but knows they want "an e-bike" probably should get the Levo.

the SL is a Stumpy that can give you a push.

Couldn't agree more!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Correct, I was a few mph slower on the SL compared to my Levo. Also, working harder on the climbs.

I really missed the punch of the Brose motor on short techy climbs

You can see that from my original post with the times of Stumpy vs Rail vs SL.
1hr 20 vs 46mins vs 1hr.
The SL was much faster than a regular bike, but not as fast as a full fat eMTB!

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
You can see that from my original post with the times of Stumpy vs Rail vs SL.
1hr 20 vs 46mins vs 1hr.
The SL was much faster than a regular bike, but not as fast as a full fat eMTB!

feels about right, SL in the middle.

being less tired at the top of a climb is still a win, leaves more energy to roll into the descent.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
Biggest thing with the SL is alot of the time you dont even need the motor on, it rides like a normal like, and just engage it when you require a extra boost.
Don't agree with that!

When was the last time you pedaled a 17kg bike (without a motor)?

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
The SL is IMO an excellent piece of engeneering by Specialized ✅

I se one major issue with the SL...
Who would You team up with for a ride ?

I have been riding some tours with non-eBikers on my Levo.
They were to “slow” to make the ride exciting for me.
And I could not get my self to ride in front of the pack ?

I just love to ride with other eBikers.
We travel fast and far (and furious)
This is great fun and every one are in perfect mood as we are not to exhausted after steep climbs.
I believe that SL will end up to far behind.

I feel I would end up trying to much to keep op with the full eBikes and still not being at the right place with the non-eBikers...

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.

This is great fun and every one are in perfect mood as we are not to exhausted after steep climbs.

I feel I would end up trying to much to keep op with the full eBikes and still not being at the right place with the non-eBikers...

you're right - but this wouldn't stop me buying one if I loved the ride.

it'll be fine on bio rides, just turn it off and use it for training.

no you won't keep yup on a fast e ride unless you are very strong.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Don't agree with that!

When was the last time you pedaled a 17kg bike (without a motor)?

Last week when demo'ing the SL, I did a fair amount without the motor on to see how it was, and It was like riding a normal bike, just a little heavier - last time I had a decent bike it was about the same weight (demo 8 with 888s) so I'm more than used to the weight.

Its not like most of the time you will, but you can do it and its more than comfortable.

jemen

E*POWAH Master
Jun 1, 2018
Austria

It depends.
I´m riding mountainbikes for more than 25 years now, i´ve seen everything. I had the first Manitou suspension fork in Austria which my brother ordered for his shop EVER. We felt like we walked on moons surface then.
I´ve friends who still ride their LEVOs as i did til the SL came out. They ride bikes as long as me and i´m sure i still can go fo a ride with them. They would wait if i´m falling back on tough climbs, otherwise i would have to work harder, thats the decision you make when you buy the SL.

Honestly i have to say, most of the time i´m riding alone. I like the silence and being out in nature alone for hours. Sometimes i need the feeling of being isolated.

There´s absolutely nothing i hate more than nonstop talking or just nonsense making people while riding. I enjoy being concentrated in fast descends and some kind of meditating in long ascends without being grimly.
I also don´t want to talk about cycling all the time during a ride. It can be i meet a friend for a ride who i haven´t seen for months, then we just ride side on side for hours, talking about children, family, things which are going wrong in the world or we just do not talk at all, just riding our bikes like we did when we were kids on our local BMX track.
For me personally, this is the spirit of mountainbiking. If the SL wouldn´t be i would have another bike. Riding mountainbikes belongs to me like my right arm.

Last edited:

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018

Agreed; one of the reasons it's not for me.

I would love an SL for when I'm riding with non-ebikers

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Honestly i have to say, most of the time i´m riding alone. I like the silence and being out in nature alone for hours. Sometimes i need the feeling of being isolated.

I have often have the same feeling of totally freedom and free spirit riding alone in the woods. The eMTB makes makes me feel that I can conquer everything. Often I leave the known trails and end up in new places. Last summer I went for a total different ride of 70 km around a "hidden gem" of a coast line - couldn't do that without the eMTB.

The wolfes have return to our area over the last few years, which gives You that extra chill down the spine when You hear animal noices. I know the wolfes are scared of me - But what if...

I 'm considering keeping the my Levo and get a SL also - Then I have a weapon for any purpose :p

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles