Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL Expert - First Ride

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Flip chip is in the low position.

No... I didn’t notice any obvious difference in the steering. That said, I didn’t have too many fast downhill parts with significant direction change on the route I went yesterday.
Thanks for the info. I imagine the fork offset of your lyric was the same as the fox? 51mm I believe.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Today’s ride was like riding a different bike.
Probably because it was.

First time I’ve ridden with the Lyric Ultimate 160, Magura MT7’s, and I have Maxxis DHF 2.5 upfront and DHR II 2.3 at the back.
What a transformation.

Firstly, the Lyric is so much smoother than the Fox 34. Did the extra 10mm make a difference to my ride today - probably not... but the Lyric (for me) is just a much better fork. No issues climbing. I put my stem about 5mm lower, and didn’t have any issues with the front wheel coming up - even on super steep climbs that I needed 1st gear for.

The MT7’s offered much more stopping power, with much less effort. I didn’t feel like I was having to crush the levers to slow the bike down. The G2’s felt like they faded really quickly, but the MT7’s offered so much more... and they didn’t shriek at any given opportunity!!

The bike felt much more planted on descents, and less prone to sketchy moments where the tyre slipped. Could be down to better dampening or better tyres - but it certainly cut out a few brown shorts moments!

Overall I’m really chuffed with the difference. I’m still waiting for my AXS dropper to come, and then I think I’m done with mods for a while. I’d like the Praxis carbon cranks when they release them... and I’ll maybe order the Magura carbon levers.
Also need to get a new tubeless valve (the Specialized one won’t seal 100%) and invest in a charger pump rather than taking my wheel / tyre full of glue to the LBS at 9am!

The bike is currently sitting at just under 17.7kgs with mudguard and ShockWiz fitted.
Carbon cranks should take it down to 17.5... which will be 5 full kgs lighter than my Trek Rail was!

I’m sure I could have done more to make it lighter... however I have some pretty high end components that have added weight rather than remove it. I’d much rather have the setup I want than losing 500g and sacrificing the ride for the sake of weight.

View attachment 27169

Just got my MT7s in the mail today as well! Quick question - any trouble with the internal routing? Anything to note that helped you during install?

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Just got my MT7s in the mail today as well! Quick question - any trouble with the internal routing? Anything to note that helped you during install?
Swapping the front and rear brakes from SRAM to Shimano XT was a massive upgrade. You would need to get the following:

- two new shimano olive and barb insert kits.
- Shimano brakes of your choice.
- Shimano mineral Oil and Bleed kit.
- New 6 bolt rotors of your choice (203mm front and 180mm rear ice tech is what I used).
- Caliper adapter for front 203mm shimano rotor. Make sure you get the one in the photo.
You need to cut the SRAM rear brake line at the lever and use a barb connector fitting (see photo) to attach an old brake line to the end you just cut and pull it thru to the rear swing arm. Then you attach your new shimano brake line to the barb on the old brake line and pull the new line back thru the swingarm and frame back to the bar. The barb has one left hand thread and on right hand thread.

Barb connector reverb stealth on amazon:

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA
Swapping the front and rear brakes from SRAM to Shimano XT was a massive upgrade. You would need to get the following:

- two new shimano olive and barb insert kits.
- Shimano brakes of your choice.
- Shimano mineral Oil and Bleed kit.
- New 6 bolt rotors of your choice (203mm front and 180mm rear ice tech is what I used).
- Caliper adapter for front 203mm shimano rotor. Make sure you get the one in the photo.
You need to cut the SRAM rear brake line at the lever and use a barb connector fitting (see photo) to attach an old brake line to the end you just cut and pull it thru to the rear swing arm. Then you attach your new shimano brake line to the barb on the old brake line and pull the new line back thru the swingarm and frame back to the bar. The barb has one left hand thread and on right hand thread.

Barb connector reverb stealth on amazon:
What did you do with the dropper post lever? Since it uses the matchmaker attached to the SRAM brake lever assembly?

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
I installed the Sram AXS reverb post so the controller came with a clamp. I used XT brakes so they have their own clamp and are positioned inboard of the reverb controller. I can attach a photo tomorrow.

Vin829

Feb 18, 2020
California, USA
I installed the Sram AXS reverb post so the controller came with a clamp. I used XT brakes so they have their own clamp and are positioned inboard of the reverb controller. I can attach a photo tomorrow.
yea my expert came with a xfusion dropper with no clamp. It’s hooked to my sram brakes by a matchmaker. Looking at matchmaker they don’t make anything for the new Shimano XT or XTR brakes

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

The internal cable routing ‘should’ be as simple as just pushing the new hose in - and it pops out where it should. There is a sleeve / conduit that runs inside the frame - so when you push a hose it, it follows this path.

Mine was a nightmare and got stuck - so I’d go with the barb suggestion above just in case. It could save you hours of heartache!!

I ordered Magua’s own Matchmaker kit, which works perfectly with my AXS shifter / dropper lever.

I don’t think the post mount adapter is the correct one for Magura? You need one that is bigger at the top than the bottom - and that the bolts from the piston go straight through into the fork. Maybe it’s different as I have a Rockshox fork?

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Too miserable outside to ride today...

Today I changed my tubeless valves to Muc Off 44mm ones as my front Roval one leaked like a sieve!
I then shortened my brake hoses a bit - as it was much cleaner looking with the wireless dropper fitted. I also got some ‘plugs’ sent to my LBS from Specialized to fill the blanks where I removed the shifter / dropper cables. I have 1 more for the TCU control when I remove that too.

I decided to experiment with my Mud Hugger front guard, and chopped a few inches off the end - then drilled a couple more holes in it.
I then applied a couple of extra layers of Invisiframe to the seat stay, and fitted the guard. Hopefully it’s supposed to be dry in the morning, so I’ll get a chance to test it.

Another +75g added, but in North East Scotland at the moment, you NEED mudguards of some description!

76DA9FDC-7342-4FC3-AD6B-DA88618D739B.jpeg

D495FD75-FED6-41D5-A7D3-FF859E7B9D1E.jpeg

14DF5BD3-73F3-4A56-B6AB-7078B6D1A02B.jpeg

021CF926-09EA-4AE7-ABD2-809EAF1208B6.jpeg

775969AE-B857-4B19-BF8A-7C11C433BF88.jpeg

0CA69656-B0AA-4F63-846B-CDD6574497E6.jpeg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
One of this weeks parcels arrived today...

An XX1 ‘rainbow’ cassette and chain - and removal tools.

47CDA082-C421-4D60-9336-C50695D0B976.jpeg

SRAM Eagle GX Cassette - 451g

0E3DD139-CBEB-471D-BC3A-52FB6D5BAA12.jpeg

SRAM Eagle XX1 Cassette - 368g

That’s another 83g removed... and I think the XX1 chain is a whopping 5g lighter than the GX one!

My ‘for sale’ pile is getting bigger and bigger!

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
One of this weeks parcels arrived today...

An XX1 ‘rainbow’ cassette and chain - and removal tools.

View attachment 27585
SRAM Eagle GX Cassette - 451g

View attachment 27584
SRAM Eagle XX1 Cassette - 368g

That’s another 83g removed... and I think the XX1 chain is a whopping 5g lighter than the GX one!

My ‘for sale’ pile is getting bigger and bigger!
I am mesmerised by that colour!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I am mesmerised by that colour!
ED0689E0-9A46-40CB-8B70-6536CEC3FD36.jpeg

Me too - I’m trying to find more bits to match! Ordered a seat clamp which looks amazing - but I bought 34.9mm because that’s what my seat post is - not realising I need 38.6mm. Sadly, I can’t find one in that size!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Another parcel yesterday...
4BAF472C-5C38-4E90-9B6F-8E99675A9076.jpeg

Magura carbon levers. Not really bought as a weight saver, but will shave a few grams off. I suffer from Raynaud’s syndrome, which means I always have cold hands, and especially finger tips. Carbon levers don’t feel nearly as cold to touch on cold days as alloy - hence the swap. I swapped to carbon levers on my last bike, and they genuinely make a big difference when it’s freezing outside.

Magura Alloy Lever - 30g
1F2E2525-E38F-4624-8F27-D11AA61ED68A.jpeg

Magura Carbon lever: 17g
1E3E8E9E-1C6F-4362-A002-04E7DC61A3B1.jpeg

26g saving for the pair. Definitely not worth £129 for the weight saving - but worth it for my fingers!

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Another parcel yesterday...
View attachment 27637

Magura carbon levers. Not really bought as a weight saver, but will shave a few grams off. I suffer from Raynaud’s syndrome, which means I always have cold hands, and especially finger tips. Carbon levers don’t feel nearly as cold to touch on cold days as alloy - hence the swap. I swapped to carbon levers on my last bike, and they genuinely male a big difference when it’s freezing outside.

Magura Alloy Lever - 30g
View attachment 27638

Magura Carbon lever: 17g
View attachment 27639

26g saving for the pair. Definitely not worth £129 for the weight saving - but worth it for my fingers!

I get the same sort of problem with my hands and fingers.
I started using these (recommended by @Mikerb ) and found a dramatic improvement.

61FE675B-665B-4B18-BB81-AD5B58DB080B.jpeg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I use these...
25AD736A-9A8A-4E83-94DE-A9A6CC7813C7.jpeg

They’re Keis heated lining gloves. I think they’re meant for motorcycle use - to wear under giant gauntlet type gloves.
I bought them in a Medium (which is snug) and then bought the same Fox gloves as I wear in an XL to go over the Keis ones.

The battery goes in my chest pocket, and I run a wire down each sleeve. It’s a bit of a PITA to get set up, but once your plugged in, they stay warm for a couple of hours. I also have a controller somewhere that you can choose the heat setting - which makes them last longer on lower heats. Without it, they’re full blast all the time.

I’d rather just have a single pair of thin Fox gloves on for the feel... but in cold temperatures this can be extremely painful. The Keis gloves work really well. They just take a few extra minutes to run the cables - but I do this in the house before I go.

When I get home, I use Glacier Gloves for washing the bike as they’re fully waterproof and insulated. I also use them for cleaning the car too. Can easily put your hand in a bucket of water for extended periods of time and they don’t leak. My first pair lasted about 2 1/2 years till they started leaking a bit. These ones are only a couple of months old.
25A799CE-E23F-4D31-935F-F4F0314045ED.jpeg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
yea my expert came with a xfusion dropper with no clamp. It’s hooked to my sram brakes by a matchmaker. Looking at matchmaker they don’t make anything for the new Shimano XT or XTR brakes

There is a matchmaker for these.
I have a set of them in a drawer that I bought for the Trek Rail - and then returned the bike.
Had to order from Germany, but came in a couple of days.

9C2EE6B3-06B7-49E2-B61D-A6A2DCBFA48B.jpeg

Last edited:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Firstly - I’m in the UK, where we’re still allowed out! Social distancing is expected - so a solo ride at 7am shouldn’t involve being 2m from anyone.

It’s Mother’s Day, so I didn’t want to be gone too long - so went to the local trail. About a mile along the road from me is a park / golf course... and the wooded paths round there lead down to another forest. Overall, I get about a 16 mile loop out of that.
Some nice paths and fire track, and a few short downhill sections for good measure. Nothing too tough - but a good option when time is an issue.

Left the house in Eco (which I have set to 40/70), and started pedalling away. As I approached the park, I looked at my TCU and saw it only had 4 bars. I plugged it in last night, and the charger was green when I switched it off - odd.
Anyway, a second glance a few seconds later, and there were 3 bars. I carried on through the wooded path up and round the golf course - and within another 2 1/2 miles, another light went out. I now have 2 bars!

A minute later, I had to stop to open a gate. Whilst stopped, I checked Mission Control on my phone. It said 19%.
Knowing I had still 12+ miles to go, I changed Eco to 10/40.
I did the full route of 15.8 miles, 333m elevation in 1hr 27 (1hr 24 moving) and got back home - still with 11% battery remaining.

That was about 12miles on 8% battery.
Now I’m not saying I would choose to run the bike on 10/40! It was probably 5% covering the extra weight and motor drag... and 5% actual boost, but I’m back home feeling like I could have gone a lot further.
For 5% boost, you’d be as well sticking with a manual bike. What I am trying to say is that in an emergency, you could easily tone down your mission control and get 10 miles out of your last 10% if you needed... and it wasn’t tough going. I just used lower gears and pedalled more than I would have on 40/70.

When I saw the 19% after about 3.5miles I thought I was going to be in trouble! Turns out it was still quite enjoyable.

On another note - it seems very few people are following the age 70+ stay indoors, and social distancing rules. There were runners and dog walkers out on mass - groups of 4, 6 and even a family (I assume) of 9 wandering round the forest. So many old people out for a walk. When I left the house, the streets were like a ghost town - so seeing so many people out and about was surprising.

A beautiful morning, and the trails were almost dry. The first time I haven’t had to hose my bike for months. A few dry dots of mud on the underside of the downtube, but that was it.

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
Are you concerned about the battery dropping so quick? Seems a bit odd.
It’s amazing how little power and support you need for it to feel like peddling a light bike. I was out with 3 acoustic fit riders yesterday and eco on 35/35 was enough 90% of the time to keep up with them. We did 20 miles round Haldon hill Exeter and 2000 ft climbing I had 62% battery remaining!! I did use trail and turbo occasionally. The bike was brilliant round the trail centre. ?

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Are you concerned about the battery dropping so quick? Seems a bit odd

I find the charger connector pretty poor. You just push it in, and it stays... but it’s not very secure.

Last weekends ride finished with about 30%... so I think I’ve plugged it in and knocked it out within a few mins.
4 bars is 39-30%, so it dropping from 4-3 bars could be it dropping from 30% to 29% in the 2mins between glances.

I then rode another 2.5miles which was all uphill - and dropped another 10% - which took me to 19% and 2 bars... before changing the Mission Control to 10/40.

I don’t think there’s anything to worry about - other than making sure the charger is properly seated before I leave the room! I charged it up this afternoon - and now have all the lights on.
Will keep an eye on it over the next few uses / charges though.

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
@p3eps I agree about the push connector for charging. You can never tell when it’s all the way in. Never really feels a positive connection. I’ll keep an eye on that.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
A couple more things arrived today, and I’ve fitted / weighed another that I’d never got round to!

Following the iridescent theme of my cassette / chain and valves - I got some Ergon GE1 grips to replace the standard Specialized ones.

Specialized grips = 54g each
518F9A8A-E838-4BD5-A869-0D5AAB4A3F14.jpeg

Ergon GE1 grips = 50g each
0CB8CFC7-5743-4E1B-847A-D830D5855291.jpeg

Woohoo = 8g saved... but much nicer looking and very grippy!

Specialized Bridge Comp Saddle = 258g
D3CA86F4-DB68-4EED-BA72-C0929328A153.jpeg

Specialized Phenom S-Works Saddle = 148g
ECF2D930-2E68-4583-8C76-1DEB5B292DA3.jpeg

110g saving there. I have a Phenom Expert on my Stumpy which I love. Hopefully the S-Works is the same comfort, but with carbon rails!

Changed the Magura MT7 luminous yellow circles on the callipers to purple ones to be more fitting with my iridescent bits! Now need to see if I can find the purple MT7 logos for the levers that are pictured on their website.
95935AFC-83FE-469F-A2E4-BE46A95C31CA.jpeg

20799790-B163-48C1-A309-8E4F56640489.jpeg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Last part - for a while anyway!

Following the iridescent theme, I bought some new pedals. HT Components ANS-10 Supreme pedals. A few extra g’s above my previous DMR Vault Magnesium pedals, but these look awesome!

DMR Vault Mg = 372g (pair)
2B57B97F-02C2-4DF8-A3E4-F0ECB796DD6B.jpeg

HT ANS-10 Supreme = 379g (pair)
47DAB239-2490-407C-981E-CF7C540F22BD.jpeg

+7g - so very little in it!

I think that’s me done for now. I’m still waiting for Praxxis to release the carbon cranks which are due at the beginning of Spring (now?!) which will be my last major upgrade.
I’ve ordered 8 ‘rainbow’ bolts for my headset / matchmaker, and that’ll be enough to add a bit of colour without going overboard. I would have really liked the seat clamp too... but unfortunately I can’t find a 38.6mm rainbow one!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles