Other Levo/levo SL Mullet setups

Grizzy

Mar 10, 2020
TX
Wanted to find out how the guys w/ 19 or newer Levos have adapted the mullet setup?

1) Is converting the SL the same as regular?

2) Is adapting motor to smaller wheel to maintain same top speed (20mph in US) done in the stock mission control App?

3) Is it simply going to a 216x63 Shock?

4) please post pics and mod details!!

what I’m hoping to end up with is not more travel, just a slacker front w/ 44 offset fork, and handling benefits of the mixed wheel size. Also want to incorporate a cascade link to add some progression I’ve run mixed wheels on my sentinel and I really like the changes in ride quality.

This also had me thinking an SL could benefit from the smaller rear wheel to increase the torque output at the ground. If there’s any engineer’s correct me if I’m wrong.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
1) I didn't do a mullet but did put 27.5" wheels on my SL, no problems.

2) No, your LBS can do this although no one seems to know if there are any limitations.

Torque at the rear wheel is more a function of gearing (with a range of almost 10:1) than wheel diameter (10% change).

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Mrs levity and I ran our previous Levos mullet and now run our Levo SLs mullet.
No shock change required, just put the flip chip in the high position.
Pics as requested:

Levo (Large) 29x3 XR2 in front, 27.5x3 Purgatory in back
Levo.jpg

Levo SL (Large) 29x3 XR2 in front, 27.5x3 Rocket Ron in back
SL.jpg

Levo SL (Small) 29x3 XR2 in front, 27.5x3 Rocket Ron in back
SL Jill.jpg

Edit: forgot to add that your LBS can reset wheel circumference to adjust for a 27.5 rear wheel and maintain top speed cut-off at 20mph (USA)

Last edited:

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Flip chip in high with a 27.5x2.4/2.5/2.6 rear tyre works really well on a 2020 Levo. The differences are relatively subtle compared to a 29er rear (especially with the 2.6 tyre) but I found the advantage of slightly easier turn in with the smaller rear and an increase in maneuverabilty reason to stay with the mullet setup. I didn't find a single negative going with the smaller rear wheel but I guess if you don't time your pedals well you might have a few more pedal strikes as it drops the BB a few mm.

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
I usually run a 27.5 + 3.0 (i40 mm rim Specialized Purgatory Grid) on the rear of my 2020 Levo Comp...i45 mm 29 x 3.0 SE4 up front.

I also have a second rear wheel, 29 x 2.8 (a WTB Vigilante on a i35 mm rim...not much clearance)...it is mounted while my 27.5 rear is being fixed...but I run mullet plus most of the time.

I also upgraded the Lyrik Select to a RC2 ultimate damper and increased it to 160 mm...so that raised the bottom bracket a tad and made it slacker (I didn’t measure how much)...I still run the shock in high position.

My Levo is also overshocked a tad (210 mm x 55 mm) running a Manitou McCleod and sometimes a Cane Creek coil inline...no clearance issue on mine...even with a Mudhugger rear fender and 29 x 2.8 tire.

I haven’t ridden an SL, but I’d probably run an it as a mullet plus...and maybe also with a 160 mm fork.

I’m more likely to get an SL if the stock fork changes to fit a 29 x 3.0 with some clearance...(not the Fox 34).

5BE58684-1770-4F25-BEB6-4EF01776BF81.jpeg

Last edited:

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I ran my SL as a mullet for a bit. Kept the flip chip low, but I did remove my offset bushing as the bottom bracket became pretty low. 2.5 tire in back
Overall, I liked it, but prefer the full 29er setup .

Was a bit quicker out of corners. Slower on flats. definitely worth trying if the style suits you. I think the geometry improves with the slacker hta. Right now , I am running close to 64deg with my fork at 170mm plus offset bushing

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I have carried bicycles on the rack on summer vacation trip, the last year 6000 km and 3500 km this year. In wind, rain, sun, dust and on dirt roads.

No extra protection in use.

Every time I started driving, Kenovo started ok

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
I'm currently running a mullet set up and I really like it . Bike still feels very nimble and looks bad ass which of course is crucial ?
Rolls over roots and ruts really well.
It a medium frame . As I'm only 5ft 9 with short legs I find the smaller rear wheel helps reduce butt buzz when off the back of the saddle.
I run Magic Marys 2.6 front and rear when its sloppy and change the rear to a Butcher grid 2.8 when its dry .
Original fork extended to 160mm
Shock changed to DVO Topaz, with 55mm stroke instead of 52.5mm. Increases travel to about 157mm
Same eye to eye of 210mm
Head angle approx 64.9 °
BB height 340mm with flip chip high

Head angle approx 64°
BB height 335mm with flip chip low
20200328_143749.jpg

Last edited:

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
2019 full fat Levo mullet.
2.6 tyres front & rear.
Flip chip low.
Pike fork set to 160mm.
Shorter 160mm cranks.
Levociraptor tuning
Slack & low DH bike
seat tube angle not ideal, but better than standard set up.

Letford

Jul 21, 2019
Basford
2019 full fat Levo mullet.
2.6 tyres front & rear.
Flip chip low.
Pike fork set to 160mm.
Shorter 160mm cranks.
Levociraptor tuning
Slack & low DH bike
seat tube angle not ideal, but better than standard set up.

Any pics? interested to see how low your BB is, have you caught it on anything yet?

francesco_16

Mar 29, 2021
colombia
Just got a Specialized Levo comp carbon 2020, going mullet in the short term with stan´s EX3 Rims, any advice on what suspension fork to get to rise the bb heigh lost in the mullet setup?? Running a Lyric Select 150, looking at ZEB 160 o 170 (Great price compared to fox 38) or an orange fox 36 160 (just for the looks). Any recommendations will be really apreciated.

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
Just got a Specialized Levo comp carbon 2020, going mullet in the short term with stan´s EX3 Rims, any advice on what suspension fork to get to rise the bb heigh lost in the mullet setup?? Running a Lyric Select 150, looking at ZEB 160 o 170 (Great price compared to fox 38) or an orange fox 36 160 (just for the looks). Any recommendations will be really apreciated.

More than 160 mm might not be supported in terms of warranty...

Pinkbike did a detailed comparison, you can’t go wrong with either.

You can check the axle to crown of each to see which is longer...

I swapped the Fox 34 160 mm that came on my 2021 SL Carbon Comp with a upgraded Lyrik 160 mm...the Lyrik was a tad taller...not sure about any A2C difference between the 29 38 and Zeb.

I also saw some 10 mm spacers (crown race) that can raise the BB and slacken another .5 degree.

Doing any of the above will raise your bar height...for me, it is almost too high, but I can lower the bars under the headset spacers or just get bars with less rise.

I run my both my 2020 Comp and 2021 SL Carbon Comp as mullet + (both in the high shock position with 160 mm forks), so my BB height is higher than running smaller tires...they are close to running a 29 rear in the low position.

Last edited:

h.grenade

Feb 13, 2021
PNW

You really have to look at the axle to crown measurements. I increased the front end by about 16-17mm (new fox 38 +10mm travel) and it puts the BB height close to stock with a 27.5 wheel. You will basically lose about 19mm by switching to the 27.5 wheel in back. Thats going to be super low.

francesco_16

Mar 29, 2021
colombia
You really have to look at the axle to crown measurements. I increased the front end by about 16-17mm (new fox 38 +10mm travel) and it puts the BB height close to stock with a 27.5 wheel. You will basically lose about 19mm by switching to the 27.5 wheel in back. Thats going to be super low.
What would be your suggestions for rising the bb heigh, 160mm maybe 170mm fork?? I just bought 155mm cranks as well to help with the pedal strike.

h.grenade

Feb 13, 2021
PNW
What would be your suggestions for rising the bb heigh, 160mm maybe 170mm fork?? I just bought 155mm cranks as well to help with the pedal strike.

My BB is at 340mm in the high position but I raised the front by like 16mm over stock. You can get into warranty issue going over 160mm or so "they" say. :D

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Sorry to resurrect a slightly older thread, anyone got any comments on any perceived range difference after mulleting a Levo compared to stock 29er setup?

francesco_16

Mar 29, 2021
colombia
Sorry to resurrect a slightly older thread, anyone got any comments on any perceived range difference after mulleting a Levo compared to stock 29er setup?
Sorry, not a native english speaker, what do you mean by perceived range. My bike is at the shop beying mulleted.

JJLevo19

Apr 29, 2020
Melbourne
I entered a race in February with the 29er set up and did 60km/1600mtrs Elev in 2:42. I had the 700w battery and was in Turbo the whole way till the last 5ks as it would have run out so did the last 5 in eco. I had a spare battery in my backpack but didn’t use it.

I switched to a mullet set up in April and entered a race a couple of weeks ago and did 60kms/1600mtrs Elev in 3:17.It was a completely different course were you had to go as far as possible in 3hrs. I managed to do five 12km laps and I wasn’t as fit as I was in Feb. I rode in trail for the first 3 laps and then had to do the last 2 in Eco so maybe you are correct I think the mullet affects the range. It did cross my mind before the race wether to switch back to the 29er obviously for more speed. The last 3-4kms the battery hit the red so I only just made it to the finish line with some assistance.

i did the software upgrade before the race and it updated the battery for when it hits the red. It actually stayed on the red for longer then it used to and there was big hill climb at the end which I thought it definitely would have run out but it kept going so the update helped I think.

So not sure if it was the mullet that affected my range its all experimenting I guess but would be interested in hearing from others the best set up for range ?

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Just converted 2020 levo to a mullet and haven't noticed any obvious distance versus battery as yet. Still using the same tires as well as before. At least I can say it's not an obvious difference right off the bat but of course I have not done accurate testing. Just an impression. This is based on our longest ride of about four hours to the top of the mountain with 4000 foot elevation gain and then descent to same starting point.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Has anyone who’s done the conversion and flipped the chip to high experienced any front chain drops? I did my first test ride yesterday and had several whereas before I haven’t had any. Suspect the flip shift has made the chain a tad long so will re-measure and potentially take a link out but curious if anyone else has experienced the same?

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
For those of you "Mulleting" your bikes , are you running 2.6 or 2.8 tires on the back?
2.8 being so close to 29er won't it defeat the purpose ?

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
For those of you "Mulleting" your bikes , are you running 2.6 or 2.8 tires on the back?
2.8 being so close to 29er won't it defeat the purpose ?
On the contrary, you are simply returning the bike suspension back to its OEM kinematics. Mulleleting as you put it drops the diameter of your rear wheel about 19 mm using the same tire. This drops the bottom bracket height about 9 mm which slackens the seat and head angles and thereby significantly affects the bikes handling at speed in a bad way.
One of the ways to recover the proper bottom bracket height is switching to a higher profile rear tire. One can also use an offset bushing for the shock in the reverse intended position. These two combined can give approximately 9 mm of height back to the bottom bracket resulting in a proper handling bike.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
On the contrary, you are simply returning the bike suspension back to its OEM kinematics. Mulleleting as you put it drops the diameter of your rear wheel about 19 mm using the same tire. This drops the bottom bracket height about 9 mm which slackens the seat and head angles and thereby significantly affects the bikes handling at speed in a bad way.
One of the ways to recover the proper bottom bracket height is switching to a higher profile rear tire. One can also use an offset bushing for the shock in the reverse intended position. These two combined can give approximately 9 mm of height back to the bottom bracket resulting in a proper handling bike.
Kinematics and geometry are two different things. The bikes geometry changes with a smaller rear wheel, kinematics stay the same.

Dropping the head angle along with the BB drop generally bring positive things for going downhill at speed.

• Agree
Reactions: CjP

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Yes thank you, should've use geometry instead of kinematics. My main point was when you drop the rear wheel that much it really changes the handling of the bike which can benefit wide open downhill high speed groomed trails, but can make the handling worse on tight, slow speed technical, rocky/rooty/frequently wet slippery trails with many sharp turns, which describes my trails. The higher profile rear tire can negate this to some extent and realize the benefits of the mullet conversion to an even greater degree. I guess it all depends on what your trails are like.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles