Levo cranks

SimonLsie

Nov 21, 2018
Cannock chase
Hey guys, thinking about changing the crankset on my Leve 2019 are there any ristrictions like can i use carbon or Sram xx1?

Regards

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
You can use whatever you want. However, the cranks you buy will need to have the ISIS fitting

C3758CC8-F677-4451-A87D-0B57296DC68F.jpeg

SimonLsie

Nov 21, 2018
Cannock chase
Brilliant guys many thanks. I have a set of perfect condition Next SL G4 but no good unfortunatly.

Going to start upgrading my new Levo comp carcon 2019 today love it.

Halcon

Apr 27, 2018
Texas
I would go with the Praxis cranks, they are a little bit cheaper but somewhat heavier. They were designed for the Levo. Mirandas will work as well and some people on the forum have gone with other IBIS cranks if you want aluminum or shorter arms, the shortest Praxis and Miranda will go is 165mm.

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Here you go. £66.86 delivered in the UK
There are only 2 sets left as I have just purchased another set.

For me personally, they are perfect for the terrain I ride in South Wales and also for my particular style of riding where I tend to pedal continuously over obstacles on steep off camber corners when climbing at speed.
You don’t need to time your pedal strokes as much with these bad boys, just pedal. I still get the occasional pedal strike but very few these days.

The Q factor on the 137mm Kris Holm cranks are almost identical to the 2019 Levo 165mm cranks ?

Kris Holm 'Spirit' ISIS Cranks

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Here you go. £66.86 delivered in the UK
There are only 2 sets left as I have just purchased another set.

For me personally, they are perfect for the terrain I ride in South Wales and also for my particular style of riding where I tend to pedal continuously over obstacles on steep off camber corners when climbing at speed.
You don’t need to time your pedal strokes as much with these bad boys, just pedal. I still get the occasional pedal strike but very few these days.

The Q factor on the 137mm Kris Holm cranks are almost identical to the 2019 Levo 165mm cranks ?

Kris Holm 'Spirit' ISIS Cranks

Ooo there’s a 110mm version... too short? @Kiwi in Wales

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I can’t comment as I have not had the pleasure to try them yet :)

Currently, 137mm is pretty good for me as it has drastically reduced my pedal strikes so not sure if going any shorter would be of any benefit. However, up to you if you want to try them.

I went from 170mm to 150mm initially for around 5 months (I think...) and found the change in length reduced quite a few pedal strikes. I then decided to go one step further just to see if I could reduce them even further and for ME personally it did.

Please note, my riding conditions and my style of riding may not be the same as yours so you may not need to go so short. 150mm is a good starting point if you want to reduce your pedal strikes without having the need to ‘read the trail’ and ‘time your pedal strokes’ all the time.

Some people will say I am being lazy and cheating.... hmmm where have I heard that comment before.... I know, it is when I purchased an ebike, how ironic ;)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
I can’t comment as I have not had the pleasure to try them yet :)

Currently, 137mm is pretty good for me as it has drastically reduced my pedal strikes so not sure if going any shorter would be of any benefit. However, up to you if you want to try them.

I went from 170mm to 150mm initially for around 5 months (I think...) and found the change in length reduced quite a few pedal strikes. I then decided to go one step further just to see if I could reduce them even further and for ME personally it did.

Please note, my riding conditions and my style of riding may not be the same as yours so you may not need to go so short. 150mm is a good starting point if you want to reduce your pedal strikes without having the need to ‘read the trail’ and ‘time your pedal strokes’ all the time.

Some people will say I am being lazy and cheating.... hmmm where have I heard that comment before.... I know, it is when I purchased an ebike, how ironic ;)

Did you do this on a 2018 Levo? @Kiwi in Wales

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
I'm gonna throw this out there, be controversial etc. I don't get the shorter crank arm thing. If you're getting pedal (like how predictive text, came up with "orgasm") strikes, it's technique not crank arm length. Yes, ebikes encourage you to orgasm (pedal) more. But if you're striking enough to smash pedals, then you maybe need to look at technique. Which with training probably costs less than new crank arms.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I'm gonna throw this out there, be controversial etc. I don't get the shorter crank arm thing. If you're getting pedal (like how predictive text, came up with "orgasm") strikes, it's technique not crank arm length. Yes, ebikes encourage you to orgasm (pedal) more. But if you're striking enough to smash pedals, then you maybe need to look at technique. Which with training probably costs less than new crank arms.

Hi mate, not controversial at all, it’s your opinion and you are entitled to have your opinion (y)

I have already had a course and a number of years of experience on how to ‘read the trail’ and also how to ‘time my pedal strokes’ so I am more than comfortable on what to do there.

As you know, we all ride different terrain and we also have different riding styles so some people may never experience the issues I ‘used’ to have with pedal strikes which have been dramatically reduced since my change to shorter crank arms.

The particular situation I ‘was’ having with pedal strikes was climbing steep, hairpin corners and steep off camber, lumpy forest trails ‘at speed’.

As you know, climbing steep trails on an ebike is a completely different experience to climbing steep trails on an acoustic. I can and do go substantially faster. Some of the hills I take on now I would never have even looked at before on an acoustic bike.

I generally ride my ebike in the above situations like I stole it so for me personally to keep ‘my’ flow and speed going means pedalling continuously. There is only so much ‘reading the trail’ or ‘timing my pedal strokes’ I can do and this particular method of riding in the above situations generally slows me down as I am not inputting a full pedal stroke all the time as I am holding back to avoid the usual pedal strike scenario.

Don’t get me wrong, I still get the occasional pedal strike but nothing like I used to. For me, the terrain I ride and the way I ride, shorter crank arms definitely work for me. It may not work for you or for others as your terrain and expectations will probably be very different.

If you can suggest an alternative which will match my current speed I will happily take it on board.

tabrat

Sep 29, 2019
Ventura CA
I would go with the Praxis cranks, they are a little bit cheaper but somewhat heavier. They were designed for the Levo. Mirandas will work as well and some people on the forum have gone with other IBIS cranks if you want aluminum or shorter arms, the shortest Praxis and Miranda will go is 165mm.
Not so bro...you can get down to 150mm at Miranda with customized Q-Factor for Turbo Levo. I have 155mm. Need to choose the Kappa model.

B8F10EE3-C57F-43B9-A2E9-4EB64BC14D60.png

tabrat

Sep 29, 2019
Ventura CA
Yeah...well I have been riding gnarly trails for 30+ years and the 165mm cranks on this bike yield pedal strikes both up and down if your aggressive due to the low bottom bracket and on trails when your in a hole or rut climbing. When you are moving at high speed or pushing the edge the last thing you need is a hard slam on your foot or crank that breaks your toe or worse. I changed to 155mm and it helped a lot and no drawbacks from me.
Another thing...
Confidence is big factor in riding fun.

0675E247-218D-4C54-AB8E-43C3025A0B59.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles