Miranda cranks

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
I have been using 165 miranda cranks for a few weeks now and the right hand one stripped and fell off. always use a torque wrench and check regular.
Using them on a shimano motor.
Anyone else had this happen?
Have herd of them bending before.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If it's on an E8000 motor replace with Shimano. They do a 165 XT level crank. Anything else makes no sense.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Last year Miranda where the only option for shorter cranks, as Gary says Shimano now do 2 versions down to 165mm.

Sram and hope are bringing out cranks for the motor shortly too according to the tinternet

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Forgot to say that I had a set of shimano 165s here, but had not got round to putting them on yet. Think they only cost about 36 quid.

D

Deleted member 1478

I have been using 165 miranda cranks for a few weeks now and the right hand one stripped and fell off. always use a torque wrench and check regular.
Yikes - that’s an odd thing to happen unless they came loose?
I put the 160mm Miranda’s on my Merida as I found I was pedal striking too easily. I want to avoid that at all costs - to try and save the E8000 BB bearings, which by accounts (here) are fragile. Short cranks are a good solution, but not if they crap themselves.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Don't remember anybody in that thread saying the bearings are fragile.
I alluded to them possibly not being up to hundreds of miles of DH levels of abuse. But I've nothing concrete to back that thought up. Infact I can't remember anyone in that thread (or the forum in general) even knowing what the specific BB bearings (dimensions) are.

My motor (the one in the video in the thread you linked to) bearings didn't go from pedal strikes.

Having said all that I'd prefer a crank arm to bend than the BB/bearings take the brunt of whatever KO hit they sustain.

Jojo10

Sep 27, 2018
Germany
Hello

Like others I'm thinking about to go down even to 160 on my Spectral:ON. The Miranda bend and fall off. Individual case?
Interestingly I had to retorque the crank arm clamping screws on my Shimano crank as they getting loose within some weeks. Maybe the clamping and spline are the problem itself. Should been monitored closely.
Anybody experience with the carbon Mirandas?

Thanks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It doesn't piss me off.

I happen to love clowns

NarrowVelvetyCougar-small.gif

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have put 400 odd miles on the Miranda 160mm with no issues, i have only had one pedal strike in that time though.

They are a bog standard crank, perfectly fine but nothin special.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles