Levo 2019 -> bike and rider data to Garmin

hbakken

Nov 27, 2018
Norway
Hi. New to the forum and new to Ebike. Just got my levo 2019 and did a few testrides.
I've been looking at several threads here today, but still don't get an easy answer to what I'm wondering of.

I want to use Garmin edge 1000 to track my rides. (well that's what I'm doing)
I want to see in Garmin connect (and hopefully later Strava and Sporttracks) data like: assist level during ride and biker power with CORRECT data...

I've connected sensors of the bike with Garmin and installed Mission controls. Current observations: data power data is way of. Also speed. I (and the bike) don't have 10000w! Assist level is not displayed in Garmin connect after ride.
And do the MC app need to be active and connected to the bike during ride to show battery level? Seemed so to get the battery level.

I've been reading about Blevo and Ebike Field, but I'm not sure the solve my problems? I do not want to have an app (blevo) recording the ride. Garmin should do it.

Thanks for any help, I'm tired of reading through threads with 1000 posts... :)

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I think Ebike Field should be what you need - the top post in that thread shows the assist level and battery displayed in Garmin Connect after the ride. (Although I vaguely remember @JanCapek saying something about a bug with Garmin Connect that he was trying to sort out with Garmin support …)

@JanCapek said you can also record the power from the Levo for Garmin Connect using the default power data field provided the sensor is connected.

I don't think you would also need the MC app active during the ride.

I don't know why the power values would be off by so much though! But someone in the BLevo thread mentioned they had a similar problem: #960

So I would ask any questions you have in the Ebike Field thread Ebike Field - Garmin app ~ UPDATE: New Diagnostics app - EMTB Forums, or maybe Jan will see this one :)

hbakken

Nov 27, 2018
Norway
I think Ebike Field should be what you need - the top post in that thread shows the assist level and battery displayed in Garmin Connect after the ride. (Although I vaguely remember @JanCapek saying something about a bug with Garmin Connect that he was trying to sort out with Garmin support …)

I don't know why the power values would be off by so much though! But someone in the BLevo thread mentioned they had a similar problem: #960

So I would ask any questions you have in the Ebike Field thread Ebike Field - Garmin app ~ UPDATE: New Diagnostics app - EMTB Forums, or maybe Jan will see this one :)

Thanks! I'll look more into Ebike Field. How I understood it you needed do donate the get the values (assist level) stored to the Garmin file.

For me it would be cool to see how much "biker power" I can produce (also having power meter for my road bike) and see how much extra watt the bike is giving.

I read that "custom" wheelsize will mess up with the speed sensor. But that shouldn't make any difference for the power meter should it??

Hannes_3000

Sep 14, 2018
Stuttgart
Hi. New to the forum and new to Ebike. Just got my levo 2019 and did a few testrides.
I've been looking at several threads here today, but still don't get an easy answer to what I'm wondering of.

I want to use Garmin edge 1000 to track my rides. (well that's what I'm doing)
I want to see in Garmin connect (and hopefully later Strava and Sporttracks) data like: assist level during ride and biker power with CORRECT data...

I've connected sensors of the bike with Garmin and installed Mission controls. Current observations: data power data is way of. Also speed. I (and the bike) don't have 10000w! Assist level is not displayed in Garmin connect after ride.
And do the MC app need to be active and connected to the bike during ride to show battery level? Seemed so to get the battery level.

I've been reading about Blevo and Ebike Field, but I'm not sure the solve my problems? I do not want to have an app (blevo) recording the ride. Garmin should do it.

Thanks for any help, I'm tired of reading through threads with 1000 posts... :)
Do you still have the old "dispaly" firmware? I had the same symptoms with my garmin edge 820, updating the firmware solved the sensor issues...

hbakken

Nov 27, 2018
Norway
Do you still have the old "dispaly" firmware? I had the same symptoms with my garmin edge 820, updating the firmware solved the sensor issues...

Firmware on the bike or the Garmin you mean?
New bike so hope the FW is the latest..

hbakken

Nov 27, 2018
Norway
Here's some interesting pics. 1 ride - 3 services - 3 totall different results...

Strava
Skjermbilde 2018-11-30 kl. 23.15.24.png

Sporttracks:
Skjermbilde 2018-11-30 kl. 23.16.07.png

Garmin Connect:
Skjermbilde 2018-11-30 kl. 23.16.56.png

Hannes_3000

Sep 14, 2018
Stuttgart
Firmware on the bike or the Garmin you mean?
New bike so hope the FW is the latest..
I'm talking about the firmware of the bike, especially the "display" (TCU). That's the little thing where you turn on the bike. With up to date TCU firmware the sensors will deliver correct data to your garmin (but you will lose the possibility to hack the wheelsize if that's of interest for you).

Thomas B.

Oct 21, 2018
Metten17!
I have currently worse problems with power peeks over 50000 ! Watts. Which screw up all stats. Average 673 Watts throughout 2 hours ride instead of apr. 170, FTP 7,2 W/kg? This happens with my Fenix 5xplus since the last Firmware update. My edge 520 works perfect recording in parallel.

hbakken

Nov 27, 2018
Norway
BTW, it seems like strava uses itˋs own filter on the imported data which deletes incorrect data.

Yep, the strava files seems about normal to me. At least they make sense compared to my ftp and perceived effort on the specific ride.

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Hi, @hbakken that power reading is really strange. It is commonly known that Levos create occasional non-sense peaks in power ANT+ reading, but these are really short and don't mess up the whole data, because average, FTP, etc. are still allright. But you have obviously whole data in mess. That is strange and it is question whether the problem is on bike side or Garmin device. How is your power reading if you record them by MC? Did you try to run calibration of power sensor in Garmin?

@Hannes_3000 you still can have speed hack and have all readings correct if you pair speed/cadence sensor of bike and set proper wheel circumference in Garmin.

@mark.ai No, that mentioned bug was only related with experimental Energy consumption reading I added to Ebike Field - Nerd Style version. But Garmin still didn't fix it :rolleyes:, so I didn't move this feature to Ebike Field to prevent confusion.

Hannes_3000

Sep 14, 2018
Stuttgart
you still can have speed hack and have all readings correct if you pair speed/cadence sensor of bike and set proper wheel circumference in Garmin.
Unfortunately not, believe me, I tried!! It really was the TCU firmware that was causing the problems with strange data output on my Garmin. With old TCU firmware Garmin was showing a fixed / constant speed of 25.x no matter what wheel circumference I set in Garmin for the speed sensor. The power sensor was going up to 4000 or 5000 W right away as soon as I started pedaling, then droppen out completely until I stopped pedaling, then same procedure again... Both solved with new TCU firmware.

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@Hannes_3000 Hmm, that interests me. So your speed/cadence sensor now reports wrong speed if you have changed speed limit on your bike? Do you have turned-off fake-channel in MC? What Levo do you have?

Hannes_3000

Sep 14, 2018
Stuttgart
@Hannes_3000 Hmm, that interests me. So your speed/cadence sensor now reports wrong speed if you have changed speed limit on your bike? Do you have turned-off fake-channel in MC? What Levo do you have?
Hi Jan, it's a 2019 Levo FSR and fake channel is turned off (unused).
With the old TCU firmware the speed sensor simply transmitted wrong speed data to my Garmin, it always showed a constant speed only as soon as the magnet passed the sensor one or two times. This was totally independant from the wheel circumference that I manually put in for the speed sensor in my Garmin.
However there somehow was a dependancy to the wheel circumference that was saved in the bike motor. With 2300mm the constant speed was 25.x, with lower wheel circumference (don't remember exactly what I had for testing purposes) it was 27.x. But I never got normal / variable speed figures...
As mentioned also the power sensor transmitted complete bullshit to the Garmin.
Both problems disappeared as soon as I upgraded to the most recent TCU firmware, now the sensors are transmitting normal numbers.

hbakken

Nov 27, 2018
Norway
How is your power reading if you record them by MC? Did you try to run calibration of power sensor in Garmin?
Never tested recording with MC. I've only got 3 rides on it. Will test it.
Trying to calibrate on the Garmin fails...

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
@Hannes_3000 ah, thanks for explanation. This is really mystery to me, because in fact, speed sensors sends to head unit only time between wheel revolutions and cumulative number of revolution. From those the head unit (garmin) calculate speed on its own, so it should't be affected by bike settings at all. When I will have some time I will try to analyse what raw data my Levo sends during movement - but in my case all work as expected.

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
What field do I select on a Garmin Edge 820 to get the biker power?
I tried 'Power', but it remains constant at 100 W.
Fake channel is enabled, power sensor is found on my Garmin device.
In MC the readings are OK.
Levo FSR 2019.

Hannes_3000

Sep 14, 2018
Stuttgart
What field do I select on a Garmin Edge 820 to get the biker power?
I tried 'Power', but it remains constant at 100 W.
Fake channel is enabled, power sensor is found on my Garmin device.
In MC the readings are OK.
Levo FSR 2019.
You don't need the fake channel if you use a Garmin Edge 820. The fake channel is "cannibalising" another value (like heart rate or cadence or power) to show the remaining charge of your battery. This method can be used on devices which normally wouldn't have the ability to show the residual charge of the battery.
I assume that you activated the fake channel and selected "power" as the option to use. In that case the power field on your Garmin is showing the residual charge of your battery (the value of 100 just means that your battery is fully charged ;)).
So.... just disable the fake channel, then the Power field should show the real "rider" power as soon as you pedal the bike...

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
You don't need the fake channel if you use a Garmin Edge 820. The fake channel is "cannibalising" another value (like heart rate or cadence or power) to show the remaining charge of your battery. This method can be used on devices which normally wouldn't have the ability to show the residual charge of the battery.
I assume that you activated the fake channel and selected "power" as the option to use. In that case the power field on your Garmin is showing the residual charge of your battery (the value of 100 just means that your battery is fully charged ;)).
So.... just disable the fake channel, then the Power field should show the real "rider" power as soon as you pedal the bike...
Aha, I'll try tomorrow, I did not understand why the cadence was showing correct on my Garmin, without additional sensor and fake channel :p.

hbakken

Nov 27, 2018
Norway

Thanks! Answer to the question I was about to ask after testing today :) Will turn of fake channel.

But do you know the answer to why "calibrate" of the sensor is not working?? I only get calibration error when trying.

Hannes_3000

Sep 14, 2018
Stuttgart
Thanks! Answer to the question I was about to ask after testing today :) Will turn of fake channel.

But do you know the answer to why "calibrate" of the sensor is not working?? I only get calibration error when trying.
No clue, but calibration is not needed, the power sensor of the levo works fine without calibration.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles