How do you lube yours

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
The chain , on a a normal bike you can just spin the cranks backwards while lubing the chain . That’s not possible on ebikes . At home we can use a stand or hang it up etc but how do you manage when your out and don’t have that facility .
The only way I manage is to oil the two main runs of the chain before I pedal off and let it work in , some kind if small stand or wheel roller would be good .

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
stick an allen key in one of the chainring bolt with a bit of padding on it to protect the crank arm. should be able to turn the chain backwards then

Kendoji

Mar 8, 2018
Amsterdam
Ha, I ran into this for the first time yesterday on my new e-mtb. What a fiddle. Guess I’ll try to flip it upside down next time.

Ade

Founding Member
Apr 2, 2018
West Sussex
I always lube as part of my clean up routine whilst at home on the stand
I dont lube when im out, as to much lube can gum things up and lead to poor gear changes.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
As already mentioned, stick an allen key into the chainring bolt

Unless it's a Bosch Performance CX, then you need to find another way to connect the chainwheel to the crank arm. You could use a zip tie (preferably a reusable one), thread it through one of the holes in that tiny chainguard and around the crank arm.

Last edited:

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk

Unless it's a Bosch Performance CX, then you need to find another way to connect the chainwheel to the crank arm. You could use a zip tie (preferably a reusable one), thread it through one of the holes in that tiny chainguard and around the crank arm.
Ideal great idea looks like the way forward , just don’t forget to remove the torx bit before you ride off ?
CRC Dave did mention this , but I had a vision of rotating slowly using a long Allen key , not pushing it with the crank . So thanks to you both .

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I just lift the back wheel and pedal forwards a bit, then oil the straight run of chain. Takes about 3 goes to get it all done.

Andrie

May 20, 2020
NorCal

Why wouldn’t it work on Bosch? I just did this with Bosch and it works fine

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
wish I'd seen this thread before I watched Rob's video
11 Cheap Products That Will Make Your Bike Life Better
I tried a crankstick, I'm not so much bothered about the lost £10, but just thinking of all the frustrated minutes wasted over the last month trying to balance the crankstick in there without jamming and snapping it, and then having a fight to get it out afterwards. also annoyed at myself for missing the fact that and a simple allen key bit does the same job ?‍♂️

20210513_082244.jpg

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
wish I'd seen this thread before I watched Rob's video
11 Cheap Products That Will Make Your Bike Life Better
I tried a crankstick, I'm not so much bothered about the lost £10, but just thinking of all the frustrated minutes wasted over the last month trying to balance the crankstick in there without jamming and snapping it, and then having a fight to get it out afterwards. also annoyed at myself for missing the fact that and a simple allen key bit does the same job ?‍♂️
Yup, I have my "special tool" too. I wrapped some electrical tape around it to (1) protect the crank and (2) identify the correct allen key quickly

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Talking about lubing, I suddenly realised there's a simple way of lubing fork seals.

Pipe cleaners. Yep, pipe cleaners. Bought a pack of 12 from Hobbycraft for £1 They're 12 inches/30cm long, so cut them in half. Dripped WPL Forkboost Lube onto the fork seals, worked it around with the pipe cleaner. Job done, such a simple and obvious way to lube fork seals. (y)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles