Highest Mileage Steps E8000 Motor

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
There is a thread in the Focus section and I'm still working on the final version. It's just a 20 cell hoverboard battery that gets plugged into a Rosenberger cable/connector. The Focus Jam2 senses the battery when plugged in and uses it until it's unplugged or depleted. All the other work is about packaging. My latest will be a 3.6" diameter "bottle" in an oversize waterbottle cage with a charge level meter. Waiting on a friend to make the final version of the bottle. The hoverboard batteries are inexpensive but the one I've settled on uses 3500mah Sanyo/Panasonic cells and cost a bit more than the cheap Chinese batteries. It's also just a bit slimmer so I can keep the already large bottle size down to a minimum. The one I'm currently using was built in the US and cost $129. I think there are similar ones on aliexpress for around $31. I just don't know if these are very good but this one look to be a very compact build size. US $23.68 36% OFF|36V 7ah 6Ah 4.4Ah 5.2Ah high drain 2 wheel electric scooter self balancing lithium battery pack for Self balancing Fits 6.5
Thanks very much! I'll take a look. I'm interested in projects like that.

Derek

Jun 11, 2019
Aust
I have 6,600 km's (4,100 miles) on mine. I know as others comments that there are a lot of factors that will ultimately determine the longevity of these motors. Perhaps the following can add some value to data being collected :)
- distance achieved =
- bike make and model =
- average conditions ridden = wet or dry, dusty or muddy for e.g
- approx all up weight, rider and bike
- derestricted =
Yes I know there are many, many other factors least of which is terrain and jumps etc but it might help as does the gathering of shared info

Last edited:

wolteris

Jun 7, 2021
Lithuania
My bike has nearly 7000 km on odometer and this is just since February 2021. 95% of the time I ride this bike in city streets. To be clear how did I get 6885km in 4 months, I work at food delivery platform called Wolt. Everyday you make 50-100km in range but I don't use any driving modes sometimes. For example if you are going to the restaurant to take an order and you have like 10 mins, so you don't need to rush right? So you just enjoying your ride on OFF. But 70% of the time i use ECO mode while working. I've got 27.5 size rims on my ebike with 2.6 Kenda kadre sport tires, 500W battery and e8000 engine. In a city with no big hills it's a savior. Even after nearly 7000km on odo you still can ride this bike everyday and feel like you just bought it yesterday.

P.S. Could someone offer me some good quality city tires for my ebike? 27.5x2.6/2.4 (could be 2.4 for the city, i think that would fit nicely).

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
6500 km on my E8000 and I just got the dreaded E010 error code. Going to contact Canyon tomorrow.

If you got that code while riding hard (boost for example) or on rough terrain, then check you battery connections. If the tabs on your bike are pitted than you might have a connection problem.
To fix, clean and remove the oxidation layer from the tabs and within the battery contacts with something like a soft scotch brite, and apply a dielectric grease like Nyogel 760G or equivalent. The dielectric grease prevents re-oxidation and wear from fretting.

Some info:

I had the same E010 a couple of weeks a go, found the pitted tabs, cleaned and the bike is still doing ok. I got this tip from someone else on this forum. Its a general error code though, and there are different causes, but still check this first.

PoppyRex

Jul 9, 2021
australia
My bike has nearly 7000 km on odometer and this is just since February 2021. 95% of the time I ride this bike in city streets. To be clear how did I get 6885km in 4 months, I work at food delivery platform called Wolt. Everyday you make 50-100km in range but I don't use any driving modes sometimes. For example if you are going to the restaurant to take an order and you have like 10 mins, so you don't need to rush right? So you just enjoying your ride on OFF. But 70% of the time i use ECO mode while working. I've got 27.5 size rims on my ebike with 2.6 Kenda kadre sport tires, 500W battery and e8000 engine. In a city with no big hills it's a savior. Even after nearly 7000km on odo you still can ride this bike everyday and feel like you just bought it yesterday.

P.S. Could someone offer me some good quality city tires for my ebike? 27.5x2.6/2.4 (could be 2.4 for the city, i think that would fit nicely).
ticked over 20,000km today, owned new since May 2018, mostly off road

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
ticked over 20,000Km on my Shimino Steps E8000 today

Poppy that’s great news. Have you looked to see if you have any play in your drive side output shaft? I can’t imagine there being no play in that shaft at this point.

When you say most of the riding was off road, is it aggressive riding or beginner type trails?

PoppyRex

Jul 9, 2021
australia
anywhere from 15Km to 50Km with 200 metres to 1500 metres climbing. Shorter rides are typically steep technical rocky climbs while longer rides are fire trail rides,

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
anywhere from 15Km to 50Km with 200 metres to 1500 metres climbing. Shorter rides are typically steep technical rocky climbs while longer rides are fire trail rides,

Poppy do you have any noticeable play in the drive side output shaft? Just grab the drive side crankarm and pull it back and forth towards you to see if there is any slight play.

wolteris

Jun 7, 2021
Lithuania
Poppy do you have any noticeable play in the drive side output shaft? Just grab the drive side crankarm and pull it back and forth towards you to see if there is any slight play.

I guess I have some slight play if I correctly understood what you meant. When you ride your bike and when you stop pedaling the chain is still rotating for a while, like one second or something. Is this bad?

PoppyRex

Jul 9, 2021
australia
I guess I have some slight play if I correctly understood what you meant. When you ride your bike and when you stop pedaling the chain is still rotating for a while, like one second or something. Is this bad?
I think its called "follow on". I believe its a Shimano thing. As I always ride in ECO I hardly notice it and can use it to an advantage going up steep rocky technical climbs to avoid pedal strike.

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
ticked over 20,000Km on my Shimino Steps E8000 today
Wow, that's the kind of mileage everyone would like to see on their motors! My wife's Bosch powered bike is nearing 10,000km with zero issues but my first Brose powered bike went about 500km before replacement and my 2019 Specialized Turbo Levo is nearing 2000km without issues. Unfortunately I have not put a single km on a bicycle for the last 6months due to having to workout family COVID issues in the states. I am ready to get back at it at the beginning of August.

johnynl

Jul 24, 2021
Netherland
19k bearing broken

20210716_222547.jpg

20210716_222541.jpg

20210715_102249.jpg

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Can you fix it by replacing the broken bearing?

There is another thread with tons if info about replacing the bearings

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
I think the inner bearing support broke.
Quite the distance you got there, but jeez what a mess inside!
It looks very dirty, or are those all shavings from an annihilated bearing race?

ggrin

Feb 11, 2019
Scotland
My almost 3 year old E8000 motor has 3800 miles but now starting to give dreaded E010 error after about 15 or 20 miles. Normally clears with off/on reset.
LBS ran diagnostic check which he reported as : "display OK, battery ok, motor is starting to fail, but I don't have any detail on the nature of the fault".
LBS recommends new bike. I'm not sure what to do, Madison have replacement motors in stock for £800. Love my bike (focus jam squared c plus, 2018) so reluctant to part with it.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
My almost 3 year old E8000 motor has 3800 miles but now starting to give dreaded E010 error after about 15 or 20 miles. Normally clears with off/on reset.
LBS ran diagnostic check which he reported as : "display OK, battery ok, motor is starting to fail, but I don't have any detail on the nature of the fault".
LBS recommends new bike. I'm not sure what to do, Madison have replacement motors in stock for £800. Love my bike (focus jam squared c plus, 2018) so reluctant to part with it.
Helped someone sort an E010 error earlier in the year. Was corrosion inside one of the connectors. Used a pointed wire brush on a Dremel tool then coated with dielectric grease on reassembly - has done another 1000+ fault free kms since then.

johnynl

Jul 24, 2021
Netherland
I had the same, a new motor drove 300km, I bought a new battery holder but it didn't help, the pressure sensor is probably broken, I put all the electronics from my old motor and it works.
You could still wear a shimano ep8, or a bafang m500 or m600

20210817_163705.jpg

20210817_163432.jpg

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
I had the same, a new motor drove 300km, I bought a new battery holder but it didn't help, the pressure sensor is probably broken, I put all the electronics from my old motor and it works.
You could still wear a shimano ep8, or a bafang m500 or m600

Did you check the main large bearings in the axle, were they OK?

ggrin

Feb 11, 2019
Scotland
Helped someone sort an E010 error earlier in the year. Was corrosion inside one of the connectors. Used a pointed wire brush on a Dremel tool then coated with dielectric grease on reassembly - has done another 1000+ fault free kms since then.
Hi Rusty,
Thanks for that. Contacts look OK, previously greased up by dealer & still looking OK.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
All components were moved from the new engine, only the electronics was left over from the old one I made 19k km

Hi, let me summarize what I believe you did and please, correct me if I am wrong. We know very little about the errors in these motors and these repairs help to improve the understanding.

1. You had a E8000-1 where bearings exploded and damaged the gears, but electronics were fine
  2. You bought a second motor E8000-2 and after 300Km you had errors E010 and W013.
  3. Then you moved all the bearings and gears from E8000-2 to E8000-1 and now you ave a refurbished motor E8000-3 with new gears and bearings and old electronics.
As you did not invoque Shimano warranty for the second motor, I assume you bought it from 4mybike.de store or ebay, or another similar store. Can you please confirm where you bought it and if it had warranty.

So according this, the conclusion is that errors E010 and W013 in motor E8000-2 were caused by faulty electronics.

Can you please confirm which motor components you kept in E8000-3 (See image below):
  • From old E8000-1:
    • Motor housing
    • Electric Motor
    • Axle Electronics
    • Main Board Electronics
    • Torque Electronics
  • From new E8000-2:
    • Gear 1
    • Gear 2
    • Axle and Gears, which I believe includes the torque sensor that is glued to the axle
I am sorry for the many questions, but as Shimano does not provide any help, then we have to understand by ourselves how to fix the motor in case of failure.
Motor Parts.jpg

johnynl

Jul 24, 2021
Netherland
Did you check the main large bearings in the axle, were they OK?
ll components were moved from the new engine, only the electronics was left over from the old one I made 19k km
Hi, let me summarize what I believe you did and please, correct me if I am wrong. We know very little about the errors in these motors and these repairs help to improve the understanding.

1. You had a E8000-1 where bearings exploded and damaged the gears, but electronics were fine
  2. You bought a second motor E8000-2 and after 300Km you had errors E010 and W013.
  3. Then you moved all the bearings and gears from E8000-2 to E8000-1 and now you ave a refurbished motor E8000-3 with new gears and bearings and old electronics.
As you did not invoque Shimano warranty for the second motor, I assume you bought it from 4mybike.de store or ebay, or another similar store. Can you please confirm where you bought it and if it had warranty.

So according this, the conclusion is that errors E010 and W013 in motor E8000-2 were caused by faulty electronics.

Can you please confirm which motor components you kept in E8000-3 (See image below):
  • From old E8000-1:
    • Motor housing
    • Electric Motor
    • Axle Electronics
    • Main Board Electronics
    • Torque Electronics
  • From new E8000-2:
    • Gear 1
    • Gear 2
    • Axle and Gears, which I believe includes the torque sensor that is glued to the axle
I am sorry for the many questions, but as Shimano does not provide any help, then we have to understand by ourselves how to fix the motor in case of failure.
View attachment 69909
So yes, the first motor damaged the bearing and the motor housing, everything else was good except for one thin washer that broke.
I put on a second engine that I bought a year earlier without a guarantee, but it had a mileage of 0km and was new.
Practically from the first kilometers, something was wrong with the engine because it happened that he started accelerating himself without a strong touch on the pedals and immediately showed the error e010, then everything was ok for a while, but after a week again, after driving 20km, the error e010 suddenly appeared at a standstill and nothing no battery reset helped, so in one of the videos on yt where the e8000 system was changed to ep8, the boys said that the shimano service claims that the e010 is a pressure sensor error, so I opened a new motor and replaced all electronic components from the old motor

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles