GoPro Hero 7 Black

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
How waterproof are they then? Can I just dip Inoto water or a lake and film and it's all fine? I've never dared do it with my hero 6. No special cover required?

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Just done a 5 muntire boring video of me plain riding around local paths and a run test. Will link when uploaded if anyone interested in what basic hero 7 quality is like.

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
There is lot's designs for chin mount here if you have a 3d printer. Going to look through them and print few to see which works better.

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Here's my home made chin mount with the GoPole Arm that I cut down. I cut away a channel of the padding in the helmet chin mount for the GoPole to sit in, then cable tied / glued it in place. Clear glue would have looked much neater but I only had white in the house!

If you need to, you add on more adaptors and stuff to the bottom if you need to make it longer etc. Once its in place its pretty permanent, but you can take off the GoPro housing and just leave the little stubby GoPro mount sticking out of the bottom.

Spare batteries that I use: https://amzn.to/2IHxuzd

View attachment 5995
View attachment 5996
View attachment 5997

Thanks for the inspiration and idea @Rob Hancill - here's my new setup, a little less 'rustic' than yours ?

The bits I used are one of these
1538835849884.jpg
and the bit (small arm, see pic below) that attaches to the GoPro from this.
1538835922347.jpg
The finished product looks like this

IMG_0045.jpeg IMG_0046.jpeg IMG_0047.jpeg IMG_0048.jpeg IMG_0050.jpeg IMG_0051.jpeg IMG_0052.jpeg

Love it!

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
@Rob Hancill here's my video. Do you know why it keeps going really grainy in some parts? Did this with my hero 6 as well. Must be something I'm doing but I'm not sure what?? Starting g to question the program I'm using. But when I save it to the computer and don't straight upload to YouTube from the program it's fine. I've tried saving to computer first and then uploading to YouTube from the computer saved file and still ends up like this .....video shot in 2 7k 60fps

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Rob Hancill here's my video. Do you know why it keeps going really grainy in some parts? Did this with my hero 6 as well. Must be something I'm doing but I'm not sure what?? Starting g to question the program I'm using. But when I save it to the computer and don't straight upload to YouTube from the program it's fine. I've tried saving to computer first and then uploading to YouTube from the computer saved file and still ends up like this .....video shot in 2 7k 60fps

Hi mate. Thanks for sharing. Some definite low bit rate there. Firstly, what is that file size that your software output?

You want to be outputting a 4K video. YouTube will give a 4K file a higher bit rate (less compression).

To give an idea, a 10 minute video works out about 2GB, then I upload that to YT.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Hi mate. Thanks for sharing. Some definite low bit rate there. Firstly, what is that file size that your software output?

You want to be outputting a 4K video. YouTube will give a 4K file a higher bit rate (less compression).

To give an idea, a 10 minute video works out about 2GB, then I upload that to YT.
Hi early the file size for that was 1.3gb. it's really confusing me as @Gary says it looks bloody awful . But the actual raw files when playing them look fine. Hmmmm.... What bit rate do you use?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi early the file size for that was 1.3gb. it's really confusing me as @Gary says it looks bloody awful . But the actual raw files when playing them look fine. Hmmmm....
Ahh ok. Youtube takes a while to process the quality. When did you upload? It usually improves quite a bit after a good few hours.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Ahh ok. Youtube takes a while to process the quality. When did you upload? It usually improves quite a bit after a good few hours.
Uploaded about an hour ago. To be honest always had this issue with the hero 6 but didn't do much filming for YouTube so didn't bother me. Now with my e bike I would like to do some filming thus got the hero 7. Just no idea why it gets so grainy like it does. Going to try and upload it with a considerable higher bitrate and see if it makes any difference.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Uploaded about an hour ago. To be honest always had this issue with the hero 6 but didn't do much filming for YouTube so didn't bother me. Now with my e bike I would like to do some filming thus got the hero 7. Just no idea why it gets so grainy like it does. Going to try and upload it with a considerable higher bitrate and see if it makes any difference.
You filing with Protune on?

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
I've read somewhere that recording in 60fps is not great for YouTube and that 30fps should be used. Any idea @Rob Hancill . I've exported every setting higherd the bit rate and still comes out pixelated on YouTube when moving through the grassy areas :/

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I've read somewhere that recording in 60fps is not great for YouTube and that 30fps should be used. Any idea @Rob Hancill . I've exported every setting higherd the bit rate and still comes out pixelated on YouTube when moving through the grassy areas :/
Leave it until tomorrow and see if it improves. Is it 4K on YouTube yet? Even when it’s gone to 4K it can still take some time to get to max quality.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Rob

Nice vid. As an aside, where is the first part at Swinley, with the small double. I recognise the other parts of the trail but can't place that bit.
I think it’s called ‘The Berminator’ at the top next the the red run (and next to babymaker, which I believe is closed)

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
I think it’s called ‘The Berminator’ at the top next the the red run (and next to babymaker, which I believe is closed)
Cheers
That makes sense. I always go down Babymaker as been on a mission to completely clear the big table and beat my PB - can't seem to get below 50 seconds. FYI Babymakers been back open again for the last couple of weeks.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Such a shame that YouTube causes all that pixelization when you are moving fast on the bike. It looks much better at the end when you do the run test and aren't moving so fast.

I'm wondering if Vimeo might look better and if anyone has tried it?

Last edited:

pgtips

Patreon
Jun 3, 2018
Somerset
Such a shame that YouTube causes all that pixelization when you are moving fast on the bike. It looks much better at the end when you do the run test and aren't moving so fast.

I'm wondering if Vimeo might look better and if anyone has tried it?
Ditch YouTube and go with Vimeo.Aparently supposed to be allot better.
Need to give it a go one day soon.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles