Giant weight loss. Here I come!

RobbieBear

Apr 28, 2019
Northants
Hi guys. Picked up this bad boy a week ago and am absolutely loving it!
So far have done three rides of about 14 miles each.
I started the week at 127kg and finished it at 124.5kg. Now that I am back out riding, I intend to use it as a means to get fit whilst having loads of fun!
It has also motivated me to eat a little healthier too so win, win!
Will keep folks posted regarding my journey.

P6250067.JPG

P6250068.JPG

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Best of luck!

But be warned! eMTBing comes with it's own risks. You will cycle further and wider, and find many nice looking country pubs and tea rooms. DON'T STOP.

Ginsterdrz

Jun 14, 2019
Lancashire
How do you find the Yamaha motor? Have there been firmware upgrades to make it more user friendly?
I ride an analogue Trance and love the orange look on the ebike!

Reactions: iXi

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
Hi guys. Picked up this bad boy a week ago and am absolutely loving it!
So far have done three rides of about 14 miles each.
I started the week at 127kg and finished it at 124.5kg. Now that I am back out riding, I intend to use it as a means to get fit whilst having loads of fun!
It has also motivated me to eat a little healthier too so win, win!
Will keep folks posted regarding my journey.

View attachment 15314

View attachment 15313

I rode that exact model back-to-back with my Haibike SDURO on the trail when I saw a guy riding at and he told me about the Giant Demo up ahead; he told them I was coming so they had it ready for me when I got there.

That is a sweet bike! I especially liked the rear suspension on it; even with it’s high torque that fat rear tire was glued to the trail. Enjoy!

I’ve lost 16 lbs since I got my eBike but also on a Keto diet, which I often cheat. My wife actually noticed that my abs are starting to show. If I could only convince her that a new eBike might make me even healthier.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Personal Experience - eMTB has made me fitter: More riding, more often, particularly through what would usually be my off-season in winter. After 18 months mostly on the eMTB, I now find myself doing far more acoustic MTBing too, so I'm getting some more intense cardio and anaerobic exercise from that too.

Weight loss, not so much. Maybe because my walk to/from work has been replaced by an eeb ride!?

When I need to lose a few pounds, I tend to do the 5:2, using HUEL for mid-week lunches.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
Personal Experience - eMTB has made me fitter: More riding, more often, particularly through what would usually be my off-season in winter. After 18 months mostly on the eMTB, I now find myself doing far more acoustic MTBing too, so I'm getting some more intense cardio and anaerobic exercise from that too.

Weight loss, not so much. Maybe because my walk to/from work has been replaced by an eeb ride!?

When I need to lose a few pounds, I tend to do the 5:2, using HUEL for mid-week lunches.

Keeping the weight off in the first place is a better strategy but apparently requires the discipline and attentiveness I seldom display :(

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Central Coast NSW Australia
I’ve lost 16 lbs since I got my eBike but also on a Keto diet, which I often cheat. My wife actually noticed that my abs are starting to show. If I could only convince her that a new eBike might make me even healthier.

+1 for EMTB and Keto, in the last 6 months I have lost all of my weight (10kg or 22lbs) that I put on in my 40's. I too often cheat on the weekends with a few extra carbs but it's all balancing out nicely. Incidentally for 5 days a week I do 'Intermittent Fasting' as well via 16/8 method which also helped me a lot, I essentially just dropped breakfast on those days.

RobbieBear

Apr 28, 2019
Northants
How do you find the Yamaha motor? Have there been firmware upgrades to make it more user friendly?

I am enjoying the Yamaha motor. I had initially decided to go for the Brose S Mag which probably has the edge, albeit not by much.

Sadly, the range of bikes using the Brose is limited with the Levo being the main one available. I just felt that I was getting so much more bike for the money with much burlier components on the Giant. I also fall within the weight limits too.
All the recently reported issues with the Levo pushed me to the Trance as a better, more sorted bike for me.

Until I test rode the Trance, I was concerned about the reported noise, expecting it to sound horrendous.

However, I don't find the noise a problem at all. You do hear it obviously, but not in a way that detracts from the ride. The Shimano on a Merida was noisier to me.

In terms of operation, I love the instant power the moment you push on the pedal. Hill starts are easy!
TBH after riding both the Brose and the tweaked Yamaha, I can't say I personally noticed much difference in power and the Giant has plenty.

Also, as a rider on the road to getting fitter, I appreciate the power from the Giant motor at lower cadences. I would consider this a particular strength of the motor.

The bike shop set the suspension up for my weight with the fork set to pretty much the maximum and the rear with 300 psi (it takes 350, I believe).
I set them both to trail, the middle setting.

Rebound was set to the middle of the number of clicks.

On the road, I am happy with this set up, although it feels quite firm even in that scenario.)
Off road, I have been setting both to fully open and still notice that I am sitting in the top half of travel for both. So, I intend to slightly drop the psi in both fork and rear to see the effect.

Anyone worried that the suspension on this bike will not cope with a heavy rider (as I did) need not fret. It easily copes with my 127kg (now 124).
In fact, I am beginning to think I need not have gone for the Rokshox 600 psi shock pump!

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Recently i got an unsold Haibike 2017 with Yamaha this thing has lots of range with 500Wh. Do you know the weight of their HT? Giant full suspension is too heavy for me.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Hi guys. Down to 116kg now so lost 11kilos. This bike is one of the best things I ever bought!
Fantastic, well done.
Not too long ago I was 114kg and now down to 107 kg. I have fallen off the wagon in the last couple of months a bit and have maintained that 107kg.
You have just given me the motivation I need to have another go. Thanks heaps.

elyhim

May 31, 2018
usa north carolina
+1 for EMTB and Keto, in the last 6 months I have lost all of my weight (10kg or 22lbs) that I put on in my 40's. I too often cheat on the weekends with a few extra carbs but it's all balancing out nicely. Incidentally for 5 days a week I do 'Intermittent Fasting' as well via 16/8 method which also helped me a lot, I essentially just dropped breakfast on those days.

Yep, two years I got fitter but no real weight loss with biking. Added Keto and I'm melting weight off. Sugars are addicting, I don't cheat really at all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles