Levo SL Gen 1 Fox DHX2 on 2021 SL is a no go....

Jcolborn48

Apr 13, 2020
California
Anyone else with a DHX2 on their SL having issues? I have a 55x210 with a 700lb spring on a XL frame, I weigh roughly 220lbs/100kgs. Shortly after installing the shock I noticed play in the shaft of the shock, sent it in to Fox and they rebuilt it under warranty. Not a month after getting it back, I had the same thing happen. I contacted Fox and their response is that they are no longer recommending coil shocks for Levo's and SL's as well as various models from other manufacturers. They say that the yoke is putting too much lateral pressure on the 9mm shock shaft and as a result blowing out some bushings inside the shock. I sure wish Fox would make a little bigger deal out of this, that way the shop I bought my shock from may have been able to steer me in a different direction. So now I have to send my shock back to get rebuilt again, try and sell it and then find an X2 or DPX2 I guess? I really liked the way that shock felt too, I'm pretty bummed :mad:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Apparently the Cascade Components rocker gives the Levo a less linear progression (IIRC its very linear on the Levo's and not inherently coil friendly) - might be worth checking out

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Fwiw ext storia has a larger diameter shaft. No issues with mine on the SL. I believe that the dvo jade x has a larger shaft as well (google that to make sure ?).

Side loading on the shocks was an issue on the previous model stump jumper. Sucks that it still seems to be with the SL

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I did use the original flip chip that came with SL
Ok, was just asking as when I ran the Ohlins with its own bush, I needed washers to fill the square section. I ended up running a modified bush in its place.
I also noticed that the shock bolt needed to be super tight as from stock it loosened itself slightly causing some movement. I now wrench that thing super tight.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Apparently the Cascade Components rocker gives the Levo a less linear progression (IIRC its very linear on the Levo's and not inherently coil friendly) - might be worth checking out

I use this CC link on my Spesh SJ Evo and it works really good

Jcolborn48

Apr 13, 2020
California
@Jcolborn48 what did you end up doing? Did you have to deal with it yourself, or did Fox or Specialized take it on them to make it right?
Originally no one was going to do anything about it. But I received a call from Fox and apparently Specialized is stepping up and helping cover replacement costs. Sooooo, sometime in the Spring when Fox receives inventory again they are sending me an X2 at no cost to replace the DHX2.

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
Thanks @Jcolborn48 . I wonder what they're going to do with this:
Disclaimer: I'm an average rider not nearly fast enough to damage bikes, the bike and shock bought and installed at LBS, and this happened on a normal trail in a relatively straightforward section. The bike and shock are barely 3 months old...

Broken shock (Large).jpg

ah1

Jul 11, 2020
Santa Cruz CA
Update: neither Fox nor Spec' are willing to do anything. Specialized offered a discount on replacement rear triangle - thanks for nothing! Fox rebuilt the coil and sent it back - so I can ride it until the next failure! Unbelievable.
Looking for advice how I can take it to them and force their hands to take responsibility.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Is the rear triangle damaged?

Might be a daft question but do you have the original shock? Can’t you just put that back in?

In fairness you’ve modded the bike, not sure what responsibility you expect others to take for your actions?

It seems fairly well known coils don’t appear suitable for the bike....

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
IMO your only point of recourse is the LBS. They potentially should had advised you that the shock was not suitable for use on your bike.

j1e

Jan 24, 2021
Michigan, USA
Its not speshs fault is it.
Not sure I agree.

How is side-loading a shock valid engineering?

Combine that with frame variances so large that link|shock combinations may or may not work for a given year|model|size...

Perhaps I am spoiled (other bike is Santa Cruz), but this is *not* normal imo...

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Not sure I agree.

How is side-loading a shock valid engineering?

Combine that with frame variances so large that link|shock combinations may or may not work for a given year|model|size...

Perhaps I am spoiled (other bike is Santa Cruz), but this is *not* normal imo...

Side loading the shock didn't cause it to break the shaft in a vertical direction. Specialized's position is that Fox have said the issue is the length of the shock extension, not the side-loading. There are several coil manufacturers whose shocks work fine on this design. Fox is just under-sized.

• Agree
Reactions: CjP

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
If i change the suspension on my car then the suspension and any components directly link to it are now not covered.

This isn't true, in the US at least. It goes to the "right-to-repair" discussion, the use of non-OEM parts, etc. It has to be proven that the replacement part caused the failure, in the case of cars. There's no such legislation for bikes of course (EDIT: this is wrong, I forgot, Magnuson-Moss applies to all consumer products Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia). All I'm trying to say is that warranties are not automatically void just because you change something. That would be silly and foment monopolies, which is why such legislation exists.

Nonetheless, in this case the replacement part *is* the source of the failure. Fox has admitted as much and has chosen to not recommend their shocks for this suspension design (instead of building a better shock). It sucks for the consumer, but it is what it is.

Depending on the timeline, the crappy thing in this instance for @ah1 is that his LBS recommended the shock. Or maybe they didn't, maybe they told him not to use it, and he insisted :p

It would have been the nice thing for Fox to replace it with an X2 as they said they would, just to foster a good relationship. I'm not saying they're "obligated" to do so. But it's not going to kill them to replace a few broken shocks especially when business is booming. I'm surprised they didn't actually and suspect there's more to this story...

Last edited:

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
IMO your only point of recourse is the LBS. They potentially should had advised you that the shock was not suitable for use on your bike.

^^ This, it has been a known issue for a while now. I think Fox put out a bulletin about six months ago, maybe longer.

What is interesting is that the Kenevo still ships with the Marz coil so?

Jcolborn48

Apr 13, 2020
California
From my experience, the issue is only with the SL, and not the Levo, I ran that same DHX2 Coil on my FF without issues, same trails, jumps etc. Had it fail almost immediately after switching it to my SL, Fox fixed it under warranty and it broke again on my very first ride back out. At first they were not going to do anything about it, however, I was contacted by Fox and they ended up keeping my DHX2 and sending me a 2021 X2 with my coil too. So not sure where "ah1" is located, but you can argue that you know of a guy in the same predicament and Fox replaced the DHX2 for an X2.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles