Focus Jam2 LTD Charging problem

pegnose

Jun 11, 2019
Berlin, Germany
I think you may be on to something here 'roots'.

Six degrees in my garage yesterday, where both my bike and charger were. The bike wouldn't charge but, remembering your post, I put my charger next to a warm radiator and an hour later, when the temperature was still six degrees in my garage, the bike charged ok.

I will be interested to see if this still works when temperatures get really low.

Thinking... Low battery voltage seems to be the core factor. Charger temps seem to matter for some. Could it be an issue with the voltage reading of those 4.5A chargers due to some component being unreliable under more borderline conditions?

Boyceduke

Nov 18, 2019
Bromley
Thinking... Low battery voltage seems to be the core factor. Charger temps seem to matter for some. Could it be an issue with the voltage reading of those 4.5A chargers due to some component being unreliable under more borderline conditions?

I have the 4.0A charger. Do you think that is the problem. Bike was purchased April 2019 and has only covered 180 miles.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I have the 4.0A charger. Do you think that is the problem. Bike was purchased April 2019 and has only covered 180 miles.

Strange that a 2019 bike should have a 4.0A charger when 2018 bikes were coming with 4.5A ones.
Maybe yours could be a duff one returned by an earlier customer and they were given the one that came with your bike. Or it could be that your battery is faulty.
Either way, it looks like a trip to the dealers.

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
I did post this on another thread but it seems more relevant here: my Jam2 has also given me a charging problem, well not exactly as it charged up after a ride but the bike wouldn’t power up; it’s been around zero degrees and bike is in the garage. I put the charger on a hot stove for just a minute plugged it into the bike and charger green light came on solid and I could start up the bike. Now the odd thing is I didn’t plug the charger into the mains socket but just connected it to the bike; I’ve done this twice now so it must be a component in the charger that just doesn’t like the cold and seems not be able to “tell” the bike it’s fully charged. Anyway awaiting a response from Rutland and Focus.

Boyceduke

Nov 18, 2019
Bromley
I did post this on another thread but it seems more relevant here: my Jam2 has also given me a charging problem, well not exactly as it charged up after a ride but the bike wouldn’t power up; it’s been around zero degrees and bike is in the garage. I put the charger on a hot stove for just a minute plugged it into the bike and charger green light came on solid and I could start up the bike. Now the odd thing is I didn’t plug the charger into the mains socket but just connected it to the bike; I’ve done this twice now so it must be a component in the charger that just doesn’t like the cold and seems not be able to “tell” the bike it’s fully charged. Anyway awaiting a response from Rutland and Focus.

Sorry to hear this. Seems like this is a vast problem for focus. Of interest is your charger a 4.5A model. Let us know what rutland say. I'm also in contact with them

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
It is the 4.5A charger and the bike was new in August 2019. I’m partly happy that I’ve got the work around, thanks to an earlier post on this thread, but I’ll be happier when I’ve got a fix from Rutland or Focus.

Stanny_uk

Oct 15, 2019
Uk
same shit today... colder,,, charger in garage.... stuck it on radiator in house bought bike inside,, boom off she went.. lol

Stanny_uk

Oct 15, 2019
Uk
It is the 4.5A charger and the bike was new in August 2019. I’m partly happy that I’ve got the work around, thanks to an earlier post on this thread, but I’ll be happier when I’ve got a fix from Rutland or Focus.
which rutland ya dealing with bud as mines from there and gonna bring up the issue at 1st service!! and what have they said so far

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
As I bought it mail order I set the process off online via Rutland’s website, which has proved futile so far. I tried phoning a shop but the guy said he couldn’t do anything because he had no access to my online reference, but he did agree that there has been some problems with power supplies, but not come across this particular problem. I think you’ll be ok either going in or phoning a shop in the first instance, they may be less ‘corporate’ in their attitude.

Shy Ted

Aug 20, 2019
Inbed
There is another thread “deep discharging” very similar to this one, I added this to it which might be relevant here:
i checked the charger connection socket on my bike today and the two small pins had patina on and around (same sort of corrosion if you leave batteries installed for too long); I’ve scraped it off and sprayed contact cleaner on the plug and socket. I’ll see how it goes.
It’ll be interesting if this is my problem but also if others could check the socket under the top bar of the bike.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
i checked the charger connection socket on my bike today and the two small pins had patina on and around (same sort of corrosion if you leave batteries installed for too long); I’ve scraped it off and sprayed contact cleaner on the plug and socket. I’ll see how it goes..

I discovered the corrosion on the 2 small pins some weeks ago, and have since then made it mandatory to clean the 2 pins at every charge...and also the counterpart on the bike......seems better now.

Boyceduke

Nov 18, 2019
Bromley
Got my charger working with the bike today. Followed some advice on here first.

Bike was showing 2 bars.
Bought bike into house from shed. Let it warm up
for 3 to 4 hours. Put charger on radiator for 10 mins. Plugged her in and within 2 hours solid green light. Fully charged. No dramas. Fingers crossed it continues.

I definitely think if the bike and charger are cold they dont play well together.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Got my charger working with the bike today. Followed some advice on here first.

Bike was showing 2 bars.
Bought bike into house from shed. Let it warm up
for 3 to 4 hours. Put charger on radiator for 10 mins. Plugged her in and within 2 hours solid green light. Fully charged. No dramas. Fingers crossed it continues.

I definitely think if the bike and charger are cold they dont play well together.
That's probably why we don't have any reported issues here in Southern Calif. I keep mine in the house in the summer and in the garage most other times and it's generally at least 65 deg. when I charge. I have run it down into the last bar a few times and never had an issue with the 4.5 amp charger. My dealer wasn't aware of any local issues either.

YorkshireDan

Dec 23, 2019
Thorne
Evening. I’ve Got jam2 6.6 29er. Had the same charging issue that is described many times above. I have the 4.5a charger, and have ridden Dalby forest today, approx 19 miles and 1600ft of climbing. Temp was about 6 degrees C. Washed and relubed it outside, brought it in to charge it and the charger clicked out after about 9 flashes on the led. Tried a few times but nothing. Read this thread. Put the charger on the radiator for 15 mins and it charged up 1st time, from deep in the red with 2 miles remaining to full in about 2.5hrs. It seems to be a heat issue with the charger, not the bike itself. I rode it the other day when it was -2 and the battery range was fine. It’s a bit s**** when the charger has to be warmed up to get it to work

YorkshireDan

Dec 23, 2019
Thorne
So after checking it over, I appear to have a full charge, 44 miles in eco, 33 in trail and 22 in boost. I doubt I’ll get 44 miles in eco, I’m riding round Scunthorpe/Humber bridge are area in the morning for about 20 miles, last time I did the route it used 3 bars but it’s fairly flat, but a bit boggy in places. There’s only 3 bad climbs all the way round

Boyceduke

Nov 18, 2019
Bromley
I have the tec pack. When I charge that after the radiator trick no probs at all (44 mile predicted rsnge). I then put it on the bike and I can only get the internal battery upto 39 miles on eco. Confused

YorkshireDan

Dec 23, 2019
Thorne
So today's ride was approx 18 miles, 780ft of climbing, slightly warmer than yesterday. Again washed and relubed outside, brought it in to charge. Charger has been kept in the outhouse. No charging issues today, and the display said the battery had two bars left on it, and a range of 11 miles. I've adjusted the power levels through stunlocker and it was loads better today

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
So today's ride was approx 18 miles, 780ft of climbing, slightly warmer than yesterday. Again washed and relubed outside, brought it in to charge. Charger has been kept in the outhouse. No charging issues today, and the display said the battery had two bars left on it, and a range of 11 miles. I've adjusted the power levels through stunlocker and it was loads better today

What levels did you change on Stunlocker? I pretty much always use trail mode but I’m considering increasing the assistance of eco as I never use it. Not sure whether to increase assist or nm power?!

YorkshireDan

Dec 23, 2019
Thorne
What levels did you change on Stunlocker? I pretty much always use trail mode but I’m considering increasing the assistance of eco as I never use it. Not sure whether to increase assist or nm power?!

I've upped eco to 35% and 50nm, put trail at 60% and 70nm, and dropped Boost to 150% and 70nm. Only used Boost once since I've had it though. 90% of the time it stays in eco, that's enough for where I am, occasionally use trail for the steep climbs

Winryn

Nov 10, 2019
Shropshire
I've upped eco to 35% and 50nm, put trail at 60% and 70nm, and dropped Boost to 150% and 70nm. Only used Boost once since I've had it though. 90% of the time it stays in eco, that's enough for where I am, occasionally use trail for the steep climbs

My eco is set to 60% and 30nm by default so will have a play with the settings. Which uses more battery, higher assist levels or higher nm?

JEROMEREIG

Jan 13, 2020
Alicante SPAIN
Hi
I have more less read this thread
And it had happened also to me
I have a 4'5amp charger
But i pressed and hold the check battery button on the Tec battery and plug the charger at same time, i thought a way to go learning cycle as done by pressing onoff switch on bike
After trying this the double sound of charger relay mutes and then goes normal charge
Really strange but it works, almost i have solved 2 or 3 weeks after have drained both batteries tottally

Rgds

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My eco is set to 60% and 30nm by default so will have a play with the settings. Which uses more battery, higher assist levels or higher nm?
Power is proportional to torque x speed. So it is neither one nor the other, it is both in combination. One thing for sure is that powering up hills at 15mph in Boost, instead of 5mph in Eco will flatten your battery MUCH faster. But the latter is less fun!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles