Focus Jam2 LTD Charging problem

Oct 28, 2018
North Yorkshire
I talked to the dealer quoting some of the info from this Forum :), on the face of it they seem happy to swap the charger to a 4.0A model. They checked two other bikes they had in stock but both were 4.5A. They are getting back to me tomorrow.

pegnose

Jun 11, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Guys, you saved my a**! Thank you so much. After 40+ re-plugs of the charger the darn thing would finally start to charge.

I am currently in direct contact with Derby to see what can be done, as I had ordered my bike online.

Of course I have cited this thread. :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Focus non-charging update.

................. When I got the bike back, my first charge with a 4amp charger only gave me 38 miles of range in Eco, vs 40 miles that I always got before with the 4.5amp charger . This has repeated itself since. I have asked them if that is down to the lower current charger, or something else? Not happy with that range reduction, surely it is too soon in the battery life for that to be happening? Or have they done something to it during repeated testing at low charge?

Comment anyone? :unsure::)

Edit: (added 12th Jun'19) No further problems with the charger and the range, getting 44 on the display immediately after charging, but overnight it has dropped to 41. Happy with that. Zero problems with charging and battery.

Had one of the wires that come out of the display yanked out, connector still attached (phew!) Put it back in and all was well, but it seems to be looser now and has twice come loose without coming away. My fault not anyone else's.

Last edited:

Gards1971

Apr 23, 2019
Wales
I talked to the dealer quoting some of the info from this Forum :), on the face of it they seem happy to swap the charger to a 4.0A model. They checked two other bikes they had in stock but both were 4.5A. They are getting back to me tomorrow.

My SAM 6.8 had the same problem. My first ride out, which was wet and muddy, I ran the battery completely flat and the charger would click and then all lights would go off, I turned it on and off and tried on to charger the bike on a number of occasions and nothing:mad:. I took it to my dealer and it worked absolutely fine:sneaky:. However, they gave me a 4A charger, in case there are further issues, as well as my 4.5A, which now seems to be working fine. The service from Onbike in Worcester has been exceptional. I will post the what happens over the next few rides on the forum.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
My SAM 6.8 had the same problem. My first ride out, which was wet and muddy, I ran the battery completely flat and the charger would click and then all lights would go off, I turned it on and off and tried on to charger the bike on a number of occasions and nothing:mad:. I took it to my dealer and it worked absolutely fine:sneaky:. However, they gave me a 4A charger, in case there are further issues, as well as my 4.5A, which now seems to be working fine. The service from Onbike in Worcester has been exceptional. I will post the what happens over the next few rides on the forum.

How long ago (which month) was this first ride out?

Gards1971

Apr 23, 2019
Wales
How long ago (which month) was this first ride out?

Last Wednesday 12th June, it was wet and muddy but not cold. The techs in the shop said it could be compatibility issue between an older 2018 battery with the newer 2019 charger but couldn't be sure. Hence, they gave me a 2018 charger as well as my own if the problem persists. However, the bike is charging as I'm writing this with the 4.5A charger.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Last Wednesday 12th June, it was wet and muddy but not cold. The techs in the shop said it could be compatibility issue between an older 2018 battery with the newer 2019 charger but couldn't be sure. Hence, they gave me a 2018 charger as well as my own if the problem persists. However, the bike is charging as I'm writing this with the 4.5A charger.

Hmm! Asked because it's only an issue with my Drifter when it's very cold.

Gards1971

Apr 23, 2019
Wales
Today I had the same problem with the 2019 (4.5amp) charger cutting out. The battery indicator on the bike was on red and hence the charger didn’t work. Plugged the 2018 4amp charger in and hey presto it worked immediately and full charged the battery without issue. There is definitely a problem with the 2019 charger coupled with this battery when the indicator is on red . I will partially discharge the battery tomorrow and see if the 2019 charger will work then.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
As suspected, after using only 2 bars on a ride this morning the 4.5Amp charger worked fine. It seems the issue is when there is a full or almost full discharge of the battery.

Regularly charge both my TEC pack and my main battery from totally empty, with a 4.5 charger with no problem. Only a problem for me when really cold, below 5' centigrade.

Maybe you have an underlying problem.

pegnose

Jun 11, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Definitely. The underlying problem is that a lot of these 4.5 A chargers are partly broken.

I have the very same issue. Right from the start. And it was >20°C in my basement. Because outside it was ~30°C. Not a temperature issue, neither for the battery nor for the charger, as others have confirmed as well.

Personally, I think that temperature can only contribute by lowering the effective voltage of your battery so that you are more likely below 25 V vs. slightly above.

Telemarker

May 4, 2019
Aberdeenshire
Hand same issue with my Sam2 yesterday. 2 bars left, about 11degC plugged into charge with my 4.5amp charger in a shed, where charger had been all afternoon, whilst I was usin bike.
Green light flashed a few times and charger cut out, tried plugging in again a few times, gave up
Took charger I house, plugged into TEC pack which had been inside in warm house all day, charged it fine, it was at 50-60% charge at start.
Then took charger out To shed, and it’s worked fine!

Hardly use this 4.5amp charger, usually use wife’s 4amp one which she got with her Jam2

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hand same issue with my Sam2 yesterday. 2 bars left, about 11degC plugged into charge with my 4.5amp charger in a shed, where charger had been all afternoon, whilst I was usin bike.
Green light flashed a few times and charger cut out, tried plugging in again a few times, gave up
Took charger I house, plugged into TEC pack which had been inside in warm house all day, charged it fine, it was at 50-60% charge at start.
Then took charger out To shed, and it’s worked fine!

Hardly use this 4.5amp charger, usually use wife’s 4amp one which she got with her Jam2

That is interesting. I wonder if it is the charger at low temperature that is the problem rather than the battery? The battery has to have a low charge of course, but I had always assumed that it was the charger reacting to a low temp, low charge battery.

But even my faulty 4.5A charger would charge a 50-60% charged battery.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
"That is interesting. I wonder if it is the charger at low temperature that is the problem rather than the battery? The battery has to have a low charge of course, but I had always assumed that it was the charger reacting to a low temp, low charge battery."

FFS! That's what I've been saying for months now as it clearly explains my charging problems and my experience was the same as Telemarker's, although I do think 11 degrees is not particularly cold.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
"That is interesting. I wonder if it is the charger at low temperature that is the problem rather than the battery? The battery has to have a low charge of course, but I had always assumed that it was the charger reacting to a low temp, low charge battery."

FFS! That's what I've been saying for months now as it clearly explains my charging problems and my experience was the same as Telemarker's, although I do think 11 degrees is not particularly cold.

I always thought it was the charger that was faulty, but I thought that it was not dealing properly with a cold battery that was also low charge. To have a warm battery at low charge, the charger was also warm and I didn't have a problem. I never tested a cold charger and a warm battery at low charge.
I too noticed that 11 degC seemed to be the tipping point for the 4.5A charger/battery that I had.

pegnose

Jun 11, 2019
Berlin, Germany
That's what I've been saying for months now as it clearly explains my charging problems and my experience was the same as Telemarker's, although I do think 11 degrees is not particularly cold.

My charger was >20°C when I had to re-plug around 40 times (not kidding).

Derby stopped responding to my emails, btw., the kept directing me to the bike shop where I had my Jam2 being delivered.

pegnose

Jun 11, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Got my bike back from first-time maintenance. Had also reported the charging issue. They gave me a "new charger". Turns out it is a 4.0A one. "New one" my a**. lul

JonnyM

Oct 15, 2019
Cambridge, UK
My battery has just done the same, 2 week old bike, the first time the battery has been drained; no problem topping it up so far (above 25% battery power) I ran it out to nothing, and now the charger only flashes green (charging) 9 or 10 times then all lights go off.
My mate has the same bike, luckily his charger was the 4.0A output; borrowed it, plugged it in and presto, charging as normal. Ill call the dealer in the morning...
I'm having this issue today.
Did the replacement/borrowed charged solve the problem?
Did you get a replacement charger, how long did you have to wait?
Sorry for all the questions, I'd be gutted if I have no bike over the holidays ☹️
I

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm having this issue today.
Did the replacement/borrowed charged solve the problem?
Did you get a replacement charger, how long did you have to wait?
Sorry for all the questions, I'd be gutted if I have no bike over the holidays ☹️
I
I replied to most of this in one of your other posts. The replacement charger I was give was one the shop had in stock. They just swapped mine for it. It would have been nice to have been able to keep the old one for comparison. I believe that you can buy the chargers on the net for about £60..

pegnose

Jun 11, 2019
Berlin, Germany
I got my replacement charger after the first time check-up at the bike shop. I also believe I got one they had lying around.

@JonnyM For now just repeat the charging attempt (re-plug when you hear the charger relay switch off) until the bike charges correctly. Worked for me after ~20-30 attempts as my battery was extremely drained. Spent 30 minutes in my cozy basement compartment.

I also kept bugging Focus to issue an official statement regarding these chargers. They finally replied they could not find any general issue with this series of chargers. Must have gotten just a broken one, they said.

Unfortunate that this recurring issue will not be acknowledged and new owners will not be notified. From my perspective a recall should be issued for the 4.5A chargers.

EDIT: My apologies for the overuse of any issue-related terminology. ;)

JonnyM

Oct 15, 2019
Cambridge, UK
I replied to most of this in one of your other posts. The replacement charger I was give was one the shop had in stock. They just swapped mine for it. It would have been nice to have been able to keep the old one for comparison. I believe that you can buy the chargers on the net for about £60..
That's encouraging.
Thanks for all the replies too, much appreciated.
I'm going to bring the bike in and see if a warmer environment helps, failing that I'll take the bike back to Rutland this afternoon for a swift fix.

JonnyM

Oct 15, 2019
Cambridge, UK
I got my replacement charger after the first time check-up at the bike shop. I also believe I got one they had lying around.

@JonnyM For now just repeat the charging attempt (re-plug when you hear the charger relay switch off) until the bike charges correctly. Worked for me after ~20-30 attempts as my battery was extremely drained. Spent 30 minutes in my cozy basement compartment.

I also kept bugging Focus to issue an official statement regarding these chargers. They finally replied they could not find any general issue with this series of chargers. Must have gotten just a broken one, they said.

Unfortunate that this recurring issue will not be acknowledged and new owners will not be notified. From my perspective a recall should be issued for the 4.5A chargers.

EDIT: My apologies for the overuse of any issue-related terminology. ;)
Just checked my charger. It's a 4.5A version ☹️
I've bought my bike inside where it's warmer and it's still not charging. Looks like I'll be returning to Rutland today.

Tatty_dubs

Jul 16, 2019
West midlands
Had the problem with the charger clicking off after the battery had been run down or emptied, I contacted rutland who contacted focus. They wanted to bike back but tbh the box that the bike got delivered In off rutland i was reluctant to send it back incase it got further damaged in transit. For me there would be two clicks then the charger would shut off completely, I found if you quickly switch the charger off and on after the first click it would charge fine. In the end I took the bike into rutland Leicester which is around an hour away from me, they agreed it was a faulty charger and swapped it out for me on the spot. Excellent service there, shame the phone line customer support was crap.

Tatty_dubs

Jul 16, 2019
West midlands
It was a 4.5, which they swapped for a 4.5. I've had no issues with this one though. Focus was trying to blame the problem on the frame battery even though I was having the same issues with the tec pack too

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It was a 4.5, which they swapped for a 4.5. I've had no issues with this one though. Focus was trying to blame the problem on the frame battery even though I was having the same issues with the tec pack too
For those that have read the whole thread, they would know that I had the same response from Focus. It puzzles me that they would prefer to replace a £600 battery rather than a £60 charger, especially when they had been provided with so much evidence that it was the charger.

I have dealt with a lot of Germans in Germany and I am of the opinion that they trust their experts and respect professional qualifications. The experts will have written a guideline that says 95% of all battery problems will be fixed by replacing the battery. It is most uncommon for a German to go against the view of an expert. They have professional qualifications, which is why they are an "expert", I can almost hear them saying "who am I to disagree?"

I'm waiting for Winter to see if the 4Amp charger fixed the problem.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
You do have to wonder if Focus actually know what they are doing with E-MTBs or, do they believe if they make things as difficult as possible, you will sort it out yourself. Which it seems you did.

Mine is back with the dealer again.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles