Focus Jam2 C Plus 2018 Info....

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
Hi currently have a 2017 Levo expert and want a second E-Bike so I can go on adventures with my son. We are both 6ft and my Levo is a XL. As the Focus does not specify on this model a XL is the large a good fit?

I have Di2 gears on my road bike but have no experience with them on a mountain bike. Does anybody have positive or negative things to say about them?

I am attracted to the Focus as the TEC Pack seems to allow the best of both worlds in that it allows a light bike for shorter rides and range for longer exploring rides.

Are the Focus bikes standing up to the UK conditions well for those that have one?

Did any Jam2 owners try a Sam2 at the point of making their purchase?

Any advice or wisdom gratefully received.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The Di2 levers on the Focus Jam2 are not for gear shifting, they are for mode shifting. I like them a lot instead of a rocker switch. I find that with a rocker switch on bumpy trails I can very easily change mode multiple times when I only meant to switch once. I have spun out the rear wheel on corners because I was mistakenly in Boost and once I even turned the motor off!

But some on this Forum have removed the Di2 levers and replaced them with a rocker switch to get a cleaner look.

I am 6'1" and with a 33" inside leg (bare feet right up to the bum crack). I have no problem with fitting the Large size at all.

As for surviving the winter conditions, I have no idea as I've only had the bike a few weeks - but no problems so far. :love:

By the way the Rockshox Revelation fork is very good (if you are getting a bike with it fitted). I have been used to Pike forks on both my last bikes and I was a little bit apprehensive at how the Revelation would perform. But today's 35mm stanchion Revelation is totally different to the old 32mm stanchion version. Once I have ridden the bike more and faster, I may feel the need to replace the damper with the new Charger 2 damper for about £200. That will convert the Revelation to a Pike (you'll still be stuck with the Revelation logo though).

If you buy the Focus, make sure that you come with the magnetic cover for the power socket (they can get lost or are discarded in the bike packaging).

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
PS: ref your statement that Focus don't do an XL size. I have just come across anbother tgread where the guy refers to his XL Focus Jam2.
The Focus picture thread and mods made - EMTB Forums
Cheers Steve_Sordy…..the bike I was looking at was in fact the 2018 pro version which does comes with Di2 shifters and rear mech. The XL bike in the link was a 2019 model so perhaps they added it to the range for the latest model year? I need to find a dealer so I can book a demo bike.
I didn't realise you could upgrade a Revelation fork into a Pike, so that and making sure it comes with the magnetic cover are top tips. Many thanks!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I didn't realise you could upgrade a Revelation fork into a Pike, so that and making sure it comes with the magnetic cover are top tips. Many thanks!

Yep, Rockshox seem to have upgraded their upgrade strategy. You can now upgrade the Revelation to a PIke and also the Yari into a Lyrik! Just by changing the damper, which you can do yourself very easily. :)

I did something similar to a Fox 32 TALAS 140mm CTD Evolution fork. Just changing the damper made it a Factory FIT (but without the Kashima). The Evolution damper that came out would fit into ANY Fox 32 fork of 140 travel. any year, any style, TALAS or not. I had zero difficulty selling it on eBay. Brilliant strategy to ensure easy upgrades. :)

Shog46

Nov 4, 2018
Yorkshire
Hi Shaun my understanding of focus jam2 is that the aluminium frames are available up to XL but the carbon frames are only up to Large ?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I have Di2 on my EMTB and find it totally awesome, never had it on a previous bike, but love it. Gear changes are just so crisp and clean compared to what I'm used to.

The only downside seems to be the expense if you crash and break it :eek:

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
Morning all,
Now a new owner of.a 2018 Focus Jam2 Pro Plus.
Large frame fits me perfectly as they come up with a longer reach than my 2017 Levo Expert.
Happy with the Shimano E8000 motor and controller and the Di2 gears are crisp and fast.
Bike shop converted it to tubeless for me and put some SPD’s on.
Great shop knowledge and service.
It was the last model they had available so was in the sale but by the time I had arrived it’s sale price had been reduced down to £2999 which for a bike of this specification and quality is brilliant.

Updated all the firmware via the E Project App and tuned some of the parameters available to better match my needs.

If the weather plays ball today will go and get it muddy.

Thanks again for all who shared their experiences making the purchasing decision so much easier.

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
The Di2 levers on the Focus Jam2 are not for gear shifting, they are for mode shifting. I like them a lot instead of a rocker switch. I find that with a rocker switch on bumpy trails I can very easily change mode multiple times when I only meant to switch once. I have spun out the rear wheel on corners because I was mistakenly in Boost and once I even turned the motor off!

But some on this Forum have removed the Di2 levers and replaced them with a rocker switch to get a cleaner look.

I am 6'1" and with a 33" inside leg (bare feet right up to the bum crack). I have no problem with fitting the Large size at all.

As for surviving the winter conditions, I have no idea as I've only had the bike a few weeks - but no problems so far. :love:

By the way the Rockshox Revelation fork is very good (if you are getting a bike with it fitted). I have been used to Pike forks on both my last bikes and I was a little bit apprehensive at how the Revelation would perform. But today's 35mm stanchion Revelation is totally different to the old 32mm stanchion version. Once I have ridden the bike more and faster, I may feel the need to replace the damper with the new Charger 2 damper for about £200. That will convert the Revelation to a Pike (you'll still be stuck with the Revelation logo though).

If you buy the Focus, make sure that you come with the magnetic cover for the power socket (they can get lost or are discarded in the bike packaging).
Hi Steve_sordy,
As you predicted my new Focus is missing any form of magnetic cover for the charge point. Could I ask for a photo of the item so I can share with the shop so they can either locate it or get me a replacement.

Cheers,
Shaun

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
As you predicted my new Focus is missing any form of magnetic cover for the charge point. Could I ask for a photo of the item so I can share with the shop so they can either locate it or get me a replacement....

Here is a link to the company that makes them:
https://www.rosenberger.com/0_documents/de/catalogs/ba_automotive/AUTO_RoPD_Flyer_2016.pdf

The covers seem to be relatively cheap, but add in a possible minimum order and P&P and one cover might cost a bit.
As requested I have added couple of pics.
Mag cover 1.jpg

Mag cover 2.jpg

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles