Flat pedals recomendtions please!!

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
Hi, I bought One-Up composit pedals and after 2 months they were squeaking and clickin really bad. I try to repair it somehow, even put out axle and they looked very good, covered with greese. Seems like plastic is squeaking and clicking somewhere :) Sorry for my English. Can you guys recommend aluminium pedals with large platform. I wont buy One up because I think they are badly designed with that axle..

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
DMR Vault pedals. I have two pairs and I've had them for years and years. They are thin, light and big and the pins are all replaceable if required. The bearing at the crank end is an easily replaceable bush and the ball bearing at the other end is also easily replaceable but never fails.
They are on sale at £69.99 now instead of the usual £99.99. They come in a wide range of colours and pin colours too.

MBR Review: DMR Vault flat pedal review - MBR

On sale: DMR Vault Pedals - Deep Red £69.99

Replacement bearing kit: Pedal Bearing Kits Archives • Rulla Bike Bearings

How to service the DMR Vault without a vice:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I prefer a smaller pedal than the Vault so I use DMR v12. I have never had to service them. I have them on 2 bikes and pick the base ally rather than the coloured ones because the coloured ones always look tatty after a while.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Shimano Saint DH pedals .
s-l1000.jpg

Best pedals I have owned . Expensive , but confidence inspiring .

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Highly recommend Deity Tmac flats. Super grippy, wide platform and durable as hell. Run DMR Vaults on 2 of my other mtbs and they are awesome too! Never thought a flat could be too grippy, but the Vaults keep your feet planted like a tree. I ride more old school style and like to move my feet around so prefer the Tmacs just a smidge more. I used Raceface Atlas, One Up's, Shimano and Crankbothers Stamp's. Deity hands down is my preference.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
One vote for the dmr v12. I don't know if it is better than what others have recommended - they're the first serious flat pedal I've owned. I went by reviews and popularity on wiggle. Also the colour goes well with my bike. I've lost a couple of pins, through strikes. For a while now one of my pre ride checks / routines is to go over the pins and look for loose ones. I have spare pins and have replaced a few; I've also tightened some with threadlocker.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Thin one is Chester race face on the left stubby one is DMR vault v12. I’m sending both back and will be getting the longest thin ones I can find, I’ve tested how these connect to 5 different shoes so far and the thinner pins felt better, I’ve not road tested the theory but I will.

like if you have a shoe with recesses Like Shimano gr9 the smaller pins are better as they sink in easier and will give you an easier plant but for five tens it probably doesn’t matter

3E938F85-48FA-4123-B460-36A88A293DE3.jpeg

Superkoochy

Patreon
Oct 19, 2018
Bathgate
Burgtec MK5’s all the way! Customer service is epic and despite my consistently bouncing them off rocks I have had no issues with them. I only swapped from the MK4’s because I wanted them in Kash Bronze.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Thin one is Chester race face on the left stubby one is DMR vault v12. I’m sending both back and will be getting the longest thin ones I can find, I’ve tested how these connect to 5 different shoes so far and the thinner pins felt better, I’ve not road tested the theory but I will.

like if you have a shoe with recesses Like Shimano gr9 the smaller pins are better as they sink in easier and will give you an easier plant but for five tens it probably doesn’t matter

View attachment 43182
Well apparently your theory works for non five ten shoes that just don't have those raved about soles.

nick077

Oct 19, 2020
Us
You can choose Crank Brothers 5050 xx. It looks cool and the grip is great. You can easily customize the look to match your bike frame. It's highly adjustable because Crank Bros continuously remain behind their item and have consistently had superb Service.
1253265310954-1sia5u2n9k0mc-f1a3d14.jpg

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Here’s a thought, I didn’t order the RC concepts only because it’s not a mid shoe and later through my ordering I started to learn ankles are a big problem in mtb, even the invincible @Gary wears ankle braces.....

So the question is, can you ‘mid up’ a normal shoe? In ways this is better than having something more restricting all the time as you can pick your battles but basically if you added some ankle braces you have your mid protection right?

Like Bodyprox Ankle Support Brace, Breathable Neoprene Sleeve, Adjustable Wrap! For example

I’d then be considering the RC concepts I think.....I have some vaude and impacts coming too, be wrong size no doubt

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Whichever flat pedal you buy, consider removing the centre pin on the leading edge on each side of the pedal.
Why? :unsure:
Because when the pedal spins round and strikes you in the shin, that is the evil little bugger that rips into the shin bone! :eek:?
Or wear lightweight shin pads? Never had a strike since although this doesn’t protect the back of the feckin calves when living the bike into the garage

or buy these Look Trail Grip Pedals Green Red Camouflage | Deporvillage by the people who arguable invented the flat pedal many years ago....

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
No idea if if helps .. this was my search last year and the suggestions/choices ..

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
DMR Vault pedals. I have two pairs and I've had them for years and years. They are thin, light and big and the pins are all replaceable if required. The bearing at the crank end is an easily replaceable bush and the ball bearing at the other end is also easily replaceable but never fails.
They are on sale at £69.99 now instead of the usual £99.99. They come in a wide range of colours and pin colours too.

MBR Review: DMR Vault flat pedal review - MBR

On sale: DMR Vault Pedals - Deep Red £69.99

Replacement bearing kit: Pedal Bearing Kits Archives • Rulla Bike Bearings

How to service the DMR Vault without a vice:
very tempted but could you kindly check my video below and let me know if the pins are as stubby as the vault 12 ones? Cheers

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
even the invincible @Gary wears ankle braces.....
No I don't mate.

I had to wear ankle AND foot support for a few years so i could even ride a bike while recovering from a serious injury.
I've never worn hi tops OR ankle braces to try and prevent an injury.

I've no idea why you think Hi tops will protect you from anything.
A hi top shoe (unless worn half done up and loosely tied) actually restricts ankle movement. Ankle movement is pretty important when trying to control a bike with flat pedals.

Go out and put some time and effort into learning some basic skills instead of worrying about your kit so muchand comparing pointless data on what to purchase next.
Outside your house is a good enough place to learn basic skills..

Pabs

Jul 27, 2019
London
Yet another Vault user here, Chiming in cos I use the moto pins (thinner than stock) but only in the centre to give the pins an even more concave effect on top of the pedal design. Works well enough to be repeated on both my Vault equiped bikes ;)

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
No I don't mate.

I had to wear ankle AND foot support for a few years so i could even ride a bike while recovering from a serious injury.
I've never worn hi tops OR ankle braces to try and prevent an injury.

I've no idea why you think Hi tops will protect you from anything.
A hi top shoe (unless worn half done up and loosely tied) actually restricts ankle movement. Ankle movement is pretty important when trying to control a bike with flat pedals.

Go out and put some time and effort into learning some basic skills instead of worrying about your kit so muchand comparing pointless data on what to purchase next.
Outside your house is a good enough place to learn basic skills..

I’ve kind of been wondering about ankle mobility, how does one protect ankles from snapping but maintain mobility hmmmm

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Yet another Vault user here, Chiming in cos I use the moto pins (thinner than stock) but only in the centre to give the pins an even more concave effect on top of the pedal design. Works well enough to be repeated on both my Vault equiped bikes ;)

I’d order but I know I’d need to replace the pins so I’m leaning towards the ANS08 which looks pretty damned good

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles