E-Sommet bearing numbers and torque values (incl headset bearing info and rear thru axle spec)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Giving this it's own thread for Reference

Bearings required are:

2x 6900 RS
2x 6901 RS
8x 6802 RS
2x 6902 RS

D/L PDF for Torque Values
All main Pivot bolts and shock Bolts are 15Nm
The Horst Link 6Nm.
Check the PDF below to confirm for yourself.

http://media.chainreactioncycles.com/is/content/ChainReactionCycles/Catalogue/Press reviews & additional content/Vitus/spareparts/Vitus_E-Sommet_Exploded_Diagram_2018.pdf

Thanks To @davosaurusrex for the bearing codes and @RocketMagnet for torque values

[additional info]

Rear maxle - 12mm x 148mm (Boost) 1.5mm thread pitch.
Axle length 175mm (180mm fits too but protrudes 5mm on driveside)
Torque 15NM

Headset bearings

the 2018 E sommet had an FSA headset
FSA Orbit 1.5 Zero Stack (No.57), 1.1/8” – 1.5” headset
According to the details on CRC website they are 36 x 45.
FSA Orbit 1.5 ZS Headset (No.57) | Chain Reaction Cycles
or
Orbit Headset Bearing Kit | 1 1/8, Tapered No. 52 57 42 44| FSA Headset Bearings | eBay
The Blue Seal ones on the Ebay link above are correct according to @davosaurusrex

If you have a 2019 Esommet it should have a Nukeproof headset
The bearings you need for that are these:
Nukeproof Steel Headset Bearing | Chain Reaction Cycles
SB-A 30 is the top bearing
SB-B 40 2015 onwards is the bottom bearing

Last edited:

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Just went to do mine and don't think this right. Got the 2018 bearing kit from MB Bearings and that's not right either...

I don't have the bearing numbers or dimensions but there are
2 larger main lower pivot bearings (I assume, not stripped down yet)
4 bearings at the chainstay/seatstay links (2 each side)
4 at the seatstay/rocker links (again 2 each side)
Last 8 are the same size (I think, need to get the Verniers on them to confirm)
2 of a different size (smaller ID) on the rocker mid point
2 smaller ones at the rocker/shock interface.

So 14 total, the MB kit states 12 and the 2 smallest ones at rocker/shock are missing. Have emailed them and waiting for a response.

Above linked pdf is for a 2015 standard Sommet. Will update further with more specific info.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Just read the bearing codes from the seals of your old bearings and order what you need that way.
Post your findings here and I'll amend the first post if they're something different.

Last edited:

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Contact Vitus and ask them.. although the Bearings above were cut and paste directly from their email where they said they were the same as the 2015?

I never checked just assumed what they told me was correct. Anyway if you can read off the dimensions on the bearings that would be great.

Email from Vitus:

Thanks for your email.

Regarding your query, I do apologise that I forgot to attach the file that you required to my previous email. The bearings in your frame should be as follows.
(minus the trunion shock mount)

Sealed cartridge bearing – 6800 – 2RS x 4
Sealed cartridge bearing – 6901 – 2RS x 4
Sealed cartridge bearing – 6902 – 2RS x 2

The Torque Diagram should now be attached to the email. Let me know if there are any problems receiving this.

Thanks,

Tom

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
2x 6900 2RS - rocker to shock trunion
2x 6901 2RS - rocker to frame
8x 6802 2RS - 4 at rocker to seatstays and 4 at seatstays to chainstays
2x 6902 2RS - must be for lower frame to chainstays shaft but not stripped down to confirm correct yet

The 6900s were missing from the MB kit, Mark sent me a pair FOC but don't know whether he has updated the kit, you'd need to check with him. Was still showing 12 bearings rather than 14 last time I looked a couple of days ago.

It was the 6900s and 6901s that were notchy on mine, the 6802s are fine after 1200 miles, not checked the 6902s as I said

Last edited:

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
That is an interesting article, thanks. You are correct, they are 2RS as obviously have seals both sides. They don't have it stamped on the seals, guess it's easier just to have one seal for each size bearing. A couple of sizes have the complete codes printed the side of the housing though but not all.

The 6802s are curious, the 8 doesn't appear on the scale of robustness but if 8 to 5 do exist maybe its just the bearings that are bigger as the races look thinner than all the 69 series. Looking at them that doesnt seem right though. Dunno. Anyway, will update post above.

Photo showing the codes on the seals. Red/orange are the MB Bearings supplied ones, blue is the original one removed as I've replaced those
20190731_191754.jpg

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Vitus sent me through a scan of a portion of the Engineering Drawing for the E Sommet.

Anyway E mail text also included updated Torque Values see below for info:

I can confirm the E- Sommet Features The following Bearings.
8x 6802 2RS
2x 6901 2RS
2x 6902 2RS
2x 6900 2RS

The Torque Values should be as follows.

Rear Pivot Axle - 19Nm
SeatStay Pivot Axle - 10Nm
V-Link Pivot Axle - 10Nm
Main Pivot Axle Assembly - 19Nm
Main Pivot Axle M6 bolt - 7Nm
Gear Hanger Dropout Bolt - 10Nm
Motor Mounting Bolts - 18Nm
Lower Battery Mount Bolts - 3Nm
Upper Shock Mounting Bolts - 14Nm

thumbnail_etorque.jpg

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
Thanks for the info on bearings, but I am confused by the terminology. In the pictures I have labelled each bearing and was hoping someone would be able to give the torque setting for each one (A = xx, B = yy, etc.).

Vitus E-Sommet VR Bearings LHS.jpg
Vitus E-Sommet VR Bearings RHS.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
no no no

you pull (or drift out ) each one separately
they each remove outwards with a spacer between them. (if you get what I mean?)
a blind puller set and slide hammer is my preferred method as drifting them out needs careful use of a tapered drift between the two bearings. a flat blade screwdriver can be used but it's def not the nicest way.

search Ebay/Amazon for a blind bearing puller set. they're incredibly handy tools to own

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
no no no

a blind puller set and slide hammer is my preferred method as drifting them out needs careful use of a tapered drift between the two bearings. a flat blade screwdriver can be used but it's def not the nicest way.

search Ebay/Amazon for a blind bearing puller set. they're incredibly handy tools to own
Thanks again Gary. I have a blind puller set,just needed guidance.

Can you recommend a good quality replacement bearing make?

4922160B-6A77-460C-B043-D0E4B7D7B371.jpeg

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
no no no

Thanks Gary, one (hopefully) final question. The main pivot bearings have a bolt only on the non drive side. I have removed the bolt but the drive side seems to have only a shaft. Do I just use a hammer and a driver and knock this out from the non drive side?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You can source bearings plenty places but I use Kinetic Bike Bearings for all my bearing needs. Their excellent bearing database is very useful, bearings are of good quality and delivery is fast.

As for the main pivot. I personally haven't removed one from an E-Sommet (Yet). But do remove and replace full suspension frame bearings frequently for a living so can try to help.
If you look at the exploded diagram @RocketMagnet posted above you will see the main pivot hardware configuration.
it looks from the diagram that the initial bolt needs to be removed and also the tapered (interference fit) spacer. then I'd guess there will be another recessed allen head socket to remove the entire main pivot axle. from there on you should be able to see if you can use the blind bearing puller to remove the first main bearing and then with the spacing sleeve removed the final (second) bearing should be visible (looks to be held in place by another axle and M5 nut fastened from the other side of the frame). Appologies if my understanding of the diagram is not the case. It'll all def make more sense with the frame infront of you and the diagram for ref: Just take your time and figure out what's going on before deciding on the best removal/re-fitting pocedure.
I'm kinda lucky in that I have access to multiple bearing pullers, drifts and bearing presses so can pull shit apart and generally figure it out as I go.

@davosaurusrex - Having recently replaced his bearings can probably confirm.

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
You can source bearings plenty places but I use Kinetic Bike Bearings for all my bearing needs. Their excellent bearing database is very useful, bearings are of good quality and delivery is fast.

As for the main pivot. I personally haven't removed one from an E-Sommet (Yet). But do remove and replace full suspension frame bearings frequently for a living so can try to help.
If you look at the exploded diagram @RocketMagnet posted above you will see the main pivot hardware configuration.
it looks from the diagram that the initial bolt needs to be removed and also the tapered (interference fit) spacer. then I'd guess there will be another recessed allen head socket to remove the entire main pivot axle. from there on you should be able to see if you can use the blind bearing puller to remove the first main bearing and then with the spacing sleeve removed the final (second) bearing should be visible (looks to be held in place by another axle and M5 nut fastened from the other side of the frame). Appologies if my understanding of the diagram is not the case. It'll all def make more sense with the frame infront of you and the diagram for ref: Just take your time and figure out what's going on before deciding on the best removal/re-fitting pocedure.
I'm kinda lucky in that I have access to multiple bearing pullers, drifts and bearing presses so can pull shit apart and generally figure it out as I go.

@davosaurusrex - Having recently replaced his bearings can probably confirm.
Thanks again, again Gary. I will have a good look at it in the morning and report back. If I succeed I will document a process for others to use?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I will be fully breaking down my frame sometime over the next few weeks and will try and take some pics

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
I have attached a pic of how you remove the blind bearings on the vr rocker assy. together with an ebay link to the correct tool to buy/use. :)

Bearing Puller for Bike Hub, Wheel, Frame, Horst, Blind, Extractor, Bicycle | eBay View attachment 18686
Thank you. I have my VR in pieces and can remove all the bearings bar the one’s for the main pivot lower swing arm. I cannot see how to remove the pivot shaft so that I can remove the lower swing arm and access the bearings. Gary has suggested a method, which I will look at. Have you done this?

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Thank you. I have my VR in pieces and can remove all the bearings bar the one’s for the main pivot lower swing arm. I cannot see how to remove the pivot shaft so that I can remove the lower swing arm and access the bearings. Gary has suggested a method, which I will look at. Have you done this?

Hi ML, sorry, no I havn't had to remove the swing arm pivot or its bearings. With the shaft removed and swing arm separated I would hope it is straightforward??

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
are the bearings the same on the 2018 bike to the 2019 bike?
Yes, as per CRC.

Vitus eSommet - eEscarpe 2018+ Bearing Kit | Chain Reaction Cycles

The replacement bearings I used are much better than the original bearings that Vitus use. I changed mine back in September and absolutely no sign of any roughness so far. When I installed the bearings I also packed grease on the outside surfaces before assembly to reduce the amount of water and crap getting to the bearings. Seems to have helped.

peteh80

Jul 11, 2018
Preston
Thanks for the info on bearings, but I am confused by the terminology. In the pictures I have labelled each bearing and was hoping someone would be able to give the torque setting for each one (A = xx, B = yy, etc.).

View attachment 18564 View attachment 18565
I too am struggling to find what the torque values are, did you manage to find out what each letter torque setting was? If you could share that would be great, thank you

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles