Disc brakes bleeding

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I have 2 different brands of disc brakes.
My bike runs magura, my father's bike runs Shimano brakes.
Can I use Shimano oil on my magura breaks? Will I get a different break perforamce?
And if so do I need to clean the inside of the brake line?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
shimano and magura brakes both use mineral oil as the brake fluid, so its fine to use shimano oil in magura brakes (or vice versa) and theres no need to clean out all the magura oil , you can mix it up.

Brakes that use DOT fluid should never have mineral oil put in them, and brakes that use mineral oil should never have DOT fluid put in them. SRAM and some others use DOT fluid.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
SRAM uses DOT 5.1, not 5.0. It is marked on the reservoir cover on the brake lever on my Guide REs.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
shimano and magura brakes both use mineral oil as the brake fluid, so its fine to use shimano oil in magura brakes (or vice versa) and theres no need to clean out all the magura oil , you can mix it up.

Brakes that use DOT fluid should never have mineral oil put in them, and brakes that use mineral oil should never have DOT fluid put in them. SRAM and some others use DOT fluid.
And how often should I replace the oil? Or can I just do a lever bleed instead of a full bleed

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
The right lever of my magura breaks won't fully return in the right position like the left one. It's not much but it's there.

My father's bike right break isn't that strong.
It wasn't used much past 2 years so I thought I should bleed them that maybe the breaking performance will be better again

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
And how often should I replace the oil? Or can I just do a lever bleed instead of a full bleed

There's no point in only partially bleeding them, they're either bled (ie all air is removed) or theyre not (ie some air still present).

with regards to frequency of bleeding - no idea I do mine yearly, but ymmv.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I ordered one of these kits from a UK supplier ( I see you're in Belgium but I assume you can buy similar locally) and I've bled 3 bikes and still have 50ml left.

You may find a quick bleed (just using a syringe tube in the reservoir and pumping the brakes with the brake lever horizontal) may cure the problem.

Also on Magura brakes be VERY gentle with the reservoir plastic screw as it is very fragile.

1607685177980.png

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I ordered one of these kits from a UK supplier ( I see you're in Belgium but I assume you can buy similar locally) and I've bled 3 bikes and still have 50ml left.

You may find a quick bleed (just using a syringe tube in the reservoir and pumping the brakes with the brake lever horizontal) may cure the problem.

Also on Magura brakes be VERY gentle with the reservoir plastic screw as it is very fragile.

View attachment 46859
I've already bought a full kit on AliExpress US $4.53 29% OFF|Universal Bicycle Hydraulic Disc Brake Bleed Kit For Shimano Magura Hope Tektro Sram Avid Mula Hayes Bike Repair Tool Kit R0202|Bicycle Repair Tools| - AliExpress
As the local shop here sold a less complete kit for double the price. Only needed the oil.
I assume your oil bottle it 100 ml or 250ml?

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
I just burped mine after the lever went spongy, I’d had the bike upside down which caused the problem. I made a quick video

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Norris LHM plus is what I used to use in Shim' Saint brakes.
I dont know if its exactly the right thing, but it worked fine, and i think it was probably recommended to me or i'd have just bought shimano fluid. £6.99 ltr it cost me, its now a smidge over 8 quid.
Be interested to know from anyone with real engineering/car etc experience/qualifications if this LHM stuff is actually ok to use in shimano brakes. Like I said it was probably recommended to me by a trusted bike mechanic, but i got it so long ago im no longer sure.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles