Levo SL Gen 1 Difference between Sport and Turbo modes

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Hi all,

I've had my 2020 Comp SL for about a week now, and I'm enjoying it immensely - even at the age of (nearly) 60, and coming from a FF Bosch-powered Cube, I think that Specialized has really read the room right with regard to their power decisions with this bike/motor combo.

But here's a thing: I can feel a distinct difference between the Eco and Sport modes (at default settings, and at any sensible changed settings I've chosen to try); but I'm feeling no difference between Sport and Turbo (or if it's there, it's incredibly subtle), regardless of the settings I've tried so far.

For example, at the moment I've got Sport at 50%/60%, and I'd expect to feel a clear change between it and Turbo at 100%/100%, and there's no discernible difference whatsoever.

I might have picked up a difference between the two when I've dropped Support to 70% in Turbo, but it might have been wishful thinking - to all intents and purposes it's as if I only have two distinct support modes rather than three.

Is this normal? Is the difference between Sport and Turbo really that indistinct on the SL? I'm thinking not, or I would expect to find other posts on the topic, and I haven't.

Or is it some sort of cadence/user input thing that I haven't yet found myself riding to? I'm a spinner on the flats, and the support in the other two modes seems to suit my style perfectly: but I was really expecting to feel a difference between all three modes - my settings in Sport and Turbo are different enough to imply that - so what am I missing?

(I've read the support mode explanation posts on here, and I've read the manuals, but they don't shed a light on what's going on. Up to date firmware, and nothing in the diagnostics.)

TIA of any helpful suggestions.

Last edited:

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I have mine set for 35/45, 65/65, and 100/100. The difference between Eco and Trail is obvious but the difference between Trail and Turbo is astounding. Turbo is not just more power, the acceleration setting (non-adjustable) is aggressive. I tested it on flat ground, it is difficult to keep the motor engaged in Turbo at anything much less than maximum assist speed.
I hope this helps.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Thanks for the reply, boBE. On the face of it then, there's appears to be something wrong with my bike.

Just to be clear - that's on an SL?

I ask, because you mention "Trail" mode, and Mission Control for my SL doesn't have that - it has "Sport":

Mission_Control_SL.jpg

Anyone else care to share their experience of the difference between Sport and Turbo on the SL?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

I ask, because you mention "Trail" mode, and Mission Control for my SL doesn't have that - it has "Sport":

Mine is an SL, and has had Trail as the middle setting since day 1. It’s never said ‘Sport’.
Will have to check after work - maybe they’ve changed the app in an update to say Sport instead?

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Sure thing, it could just be that I've got the latest version of Mission Control with a change of mode name.

What about your experience, p3eps? Are you in the same boat as boBE?

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Thanks for the reply, boBE. On the face of it then, there's appears to be something wrong with my bike.

View attachment 37276

Anyone else care to share their experience of the difference between Sport and Turbo on the SL?

Well, damn if mine (SL Comp, US spec, purchased March 2020) didn't flash "Sport" then switch to "Trail'. But wait,there's more... I switched the bike off and on again and it displays "Sport" now. Specialized is messing with us! ;)

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Thanks again guys.

Well, I'm stumped. It certainly seems like you're both getting something from your bikes that I'm not getting from mine.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Sure thing, it could just be that I've got the latest version of Mission Control with a change of mode name.

What about your experience, p3eps? Are you in the same boat as boBE?

I ride mine in Trail / Sport (whatever it is now!!) at 30/80... 99% of the time. My Eco is 15/25 for if my battery is low and I still have a long way to go, and my Turbo is 100/100 for the few technical climbs I need a bit of a boost.

If I switch to Turbo, I notice a huge difference. Even before I modified the settings and had Trail at 60/60, there was an obvious surge when I changed to Turbo 100/100.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Thanks again, p3eps.

I've just been out again - 25 miles on mixed terrain - and I've really paid attention to cadences, the feel of the different support modes, everything.

And I'm still getting little or no obvious difference between Sport at 50/60 and Turbo at 100/100. Once or twice I thought I might have noticed a tiny extra bit of push, but nothing within a million miles of "a huge difference"; and TBH it might just have been wishful thinking again.

Changing Sport to 100/100 feels the same as Turbo (as you'd expect) so it's as if 100/100 as you're describing it, just isn't available.

I'll see if a(nother) factory reset makes a difference - and if @Specialized Rider Care could chime in, I'd be very grateful - but it seems quite clear that my bike isn't working as it should.

Disappointed...

Last edited:

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Thanks again, p3eps.

I've just been out again - 25 miles on mixed terrain - and I've really paid attention to cadences, the feel of the different support modes, everything.

And I'm still getting little or no obvious difference between Sport at 50/60 and Turbo at 100/100. Once or twice I thought I might have noticed a tiny extra bit of push, but nothing within a million miles of "a huge difference"; and TBH it might just have been wishful thinking again.

Changing Sport to 100/100 feels the same as Turbo (as you'd expect) so it's as if 100/100 as you're describing it, just isn't available.

I'll see if a(nother) factory reset makes a difference - and if our resident Specialized staffer could chime in, I'd be very grateful - but it seems quite clear that my bike isn't working as it should.

Disappointed...
Mishmash Control shows that my bike is due for some firmware updates, motor included. These may change it to what you are getting. I plan to take it to the LBS soon anyway to get my wheel circumference adjusted (I changed to 27.5" wheels) so I will see what the result is and report on it.

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
It’s not that great a difference. The SL is only 2 times the input at max power. Turbo is just a bit easier on the legs and a bit more acceleration. I have both SL and FF. THE SL is mild. Most of my rides are done with 10/100 settings over all three settings. If I want a bit more acceleration I switch modes.

55plusmxinsanity

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 18, 2019
Apple Valley, California
But I'm not even getting that. It's literally impossible to tell which mode I'm in between Sport and Turbo, unless I look at the TCU.
Try deleting the app and then reinstalling it. Also, if I’m spinning it’s harder to notice a difference. Although with my settings I have no real need to switch modes as the bike will give 100 if my input detects a need.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
But I'm not even getting that. It's literally impossible to tell which mode I'm in between Sport and Turbo, unless I look at the TCU.
If you run mission control whilst you ride and look at the battery diagnostics, does it give you the amps being drawn as you ride as with a brose motor ? Or similarly, if you're in "ride" you can change the display to show various figures, like motor power. Just hold a field/square down and a list of options to change each one comes up, then you can see how much power you're actually drawing.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
@Zimmerframe has the right idea. This spells out how:

1. Activate Mission Control on your phone and go to the LET'S RIDE icon.
2. Click on the STATS menu at the top and set two of the windows to report RIDER POWER and MOTOR POWER (just press and hold a window to see choices).
3. While riding compare the RIDER and MOTOR readings with your Tune Settings.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
If you run mission control whilst you ride and look at the battery diagnostics, does it give you the amps being drawn as you ride as with a brose motor ? Or similarly, if you're in "ride" you can change the display to show various figures, like motor power. Just hold a field/square down and a list of options to change each one comes up, then you can see how much power you're actually drawing.
I hadn't got that deep into Mission Control, but I'll have a delve on my next ride - thanks for this.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland

2. Click on the STATS menu at the top and set two of the windows to report RIDER POWER and MOTOR POWER (just press and hold a window to see choices).
Many thanks - will do. I'll delete and reinstall to the phone, and see what happens

Thanks again, gents - I'm very grateful for the input.

Last edited:

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Just to bring this to a close.

I don't know whether it was as a result of deleting/reinstalling Mission Control, or (maybe and/or) doing another factory reset, but I was out on the bike again today, and - I'm delighted to be able to say - I'm now getting a clear difference in support across all three modes. Turbo at 100/100 really is obviously more support - if quite subtle in its initial delivery (is "subtly obvious" an oxymoron? ;)) - than Sport at (say) 50/50.

(I know that should be obvious, but it wasn't happening previously.)

Point being, I'm now getting distinct, additional levels of support as I click through all three modes, so it's all good.

Actually, no. It's bliddy brilliant..!

Thanks to all for your help and advice.

Last edited:

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
It’s not that great a difference. The SL is only 2 times the input at max power. Turbo is just a bit easier on the legs and a bit more acceleration. I have both SL and FF. THE SL is mild. Most of my rides are done with 10/100 settings over all three settings. If I want a bit more acceleration I switch modes.
What is FF please?

MTBGUY65

Nov 15, 2018
Oregon
Just to bring this to a close.

I don't know whether it was as a result of deleting/reinstalling Mission Control, or (maybe and/or) doing another factory reset, but I was out on the bike again today, and - I'm delighted to be able to say - I'm now getting a clear difference in support across all three modes. Turbo at 100/100 really is obviously more support - if quite subtle in its initial delivery (is "subtly obvious" an oxymoron? ;)) - than Sport at (say) 50/50.

(I know that should be obvious, but it wasn't happening previously.)

Point being, I'm now getting distinct, additional levels of support as I click through all three modes, so it's all good.

Actually, no. It's bliddy brilliant..!

Thanks to all for your help and advice.
[/QUOTE

I am having the same issue on my bike between Sport and Turbo, doesn't seem to be any difference in boost.
I have deleted the Mission Control app and no difference.
How did you do a reset, I am curious?

Housenotes

Aug 20, 2020
Missouri

Wow! Great Tip. I guess I need to read my manual more!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles