Comp Carbon or just Comp?

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
I ordered a Comp but the dealer is anticipating that the earliest they will be available is sometime in May.

I originally chose the Comp because I felt the Carbon was too much money...and although I still feel it is a lot of money I am second guessing myself now...I prefer the Fox shocks and knowing that the SWAT Tool is in the stem already instead of upgrading it is a plus (only $85).

So looking at the specs it looks like the only difference is the shocks, stem and carbon frame.

Is the Carbon worth it?

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
I went for the carbon but only cos I preferred the colour and delivery time was much shorter then the alloy. Mine only had frame difference, fork was the same. Both ride pretty much identical. Would have been happy with the alloy If colour/lead time hadn't been an issue.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
I went for the carbon but only cos I preferred the colour and delivery time was much shorter then the alloy. Mine only had frame difference, fork was the same. Both ride pretty much identical. Would have been happy with the alloy If colour/lead time hadn't been an issue.
Same here

Reactions: AML

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
Thanks. I think the blue on the carbon blends in more and would be more timeless where I am afraid the hyper color would bother me after some time. I know stickers/wraps etc can change the look...maybe I will just enquire today to even see if it is a possibility to upgrade the order.

I am guessing the frame weights are pretty close together? I saw the other post’s chart but it looks like it was for the 18’s?

motmcd

Mar 5, 2019
reading,pa
I went with the alloy Comp. I really like the taupe/acid kiwi colors plus $1k more is a lot of money for little added value. The Comp comes with the tool kit stowed in a secure slot below bottle bracket.
IMG_E1966.JPG

Last edited:

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
Sorry, it wasn’t clear. I had originally ordered the comp, so I just changed it to the carbon. I think it is overpriced for what the differences are but in the end I think I will be happier with the carbon. I think both are great choices. I am not going for the expert :)

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
I went for the Comp Carbon in Rocket Red. Partly due to a lighter frame (not much, 600g?) but also I have preference for Fox.

ETA is end of May though, so still weighing other options as that date has slipped twice so far. Expert is August and the S-Works is not available until 2020 (this is what was reported to me).

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
Sorry, it wasn’t clear. I had originally ordered the comp, so I just changed it to the carbon. I think it is overpriced for what the differences are but in the end I think I will be happier with the carbon. I think both are great choices. I am not going for the expert :)
If it's not too late I would recommend to swap back to Comp and spending the extra money on suspension upgrades or/and range extender. Going for the 150 or bigger dropper post is also nice, I feel 125 mm drop not being enough in some situations.

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
Well I am convincing myself that I “bought” the comp and am already upgrading parts :).

I believe the 125mm dropper post size only applies to the small frame. On the Large that I ordered the dropper post is 150mm. (At least in the US)

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Stick with the comp carbon :). That's what I got, mostly because I prefer the Fox suspension. But the lighter weight is a big bonus for me as this is my first eMTB. My only complaint is I had to go with the hyper red color otherwise I had to wait until May (I've had it since Dec). I wish it came in black. I swapped the tires and have it down to around 45 lbs now (44 without pedals).

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
That’s awesome! I didn’t realize they were that light for an ebike.

I need to figure out what flat pedals I want. At least I have time to figure it out :)

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I need to figure out what flat pedals I want. At least I have time to figure it out :)

I'm using a pair of Point One Podium Pedals that I bought way back in 2011 for my old Ellsworth. I love the super low-profile which helps give a few extra mm of clearance. Sadly Point One isn't in business anymore so I'm not sure what I'd get if I had to replace them.

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
Well I am convincing myself that I “bought” the comp and am already upgrading parts :).

I believe the 125mm dropper post size only applies to the small frame. On the Large that I ordered the dropper post is 150mm. (At least in the US)
Just realized that they use different dropper for 2019 bikes.
One thing to note though - Carbon Comp has fork with 34 stanchions which may have troubles converting to coil setup if you ever plan to.

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
Either are great bikes. The carbon has a slighter neater look as it doesn't have welds, but the welds on he alloy are very well done. For a standard bike I'd say carbon every time- frame dynamics are nicer and the weight loss is significant. For an ebike, the frame dynamics are damped by the extra weight of the motor and the saving in weight is proportionally much less, and so the gains are marginal.

I like carbon bikes, and have a carbon road bike (which I rarely use ;)) and a carbon standard mtb - but I bought the alloy one as the additional money wasn't justified in my view.

Which does your heart tell you? You can get your head to justify either decision.....

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
Either are great bikes. The carbon has a slighter neater look as it doesn't have welds, but the welds on he alloy are very well done. For a standard bike I'd say carbon every time- frame dynamics are nicer and the weight loss is significant. For an ebike, the frame dynamics are damped by the extra weight of the motor and the saving in weight is proportionally much less, and so the gains are marginal.

I like carbon bikes, and have a carbon road bike (which I rarely use ;)) and a carbon standard mtb - but I bought the alloy one as the additional money wasn't justified in my view.

Which does your heart tell you? You can get your head to justify either decision.....

I have never spent this much on a bike and I have never had a carbon bike. So I guess additionally there is a bit of an allure to it. If I was being more practical I would be going with the base model but there is a bit of a kid in me that wants what I want :)

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
I got the comp carbon in October in blue , seeing the weave in the sunshine is worth the money alone !
I wanted the Fox front and rear the lack of welds is lovely , added different saddle , renthal bars, death grips and cb stamp pedals .
It is just bloody brilliant
Just always buy what you want and spend the most you can afford , you will still upgrade stuff over time

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
I test rode a black Stumpjumper to see if the size was a good fit. That weave was pretty awesome and you are right about the lack of welds. The welds on my Cannondale are beautiful but looking forward to something totally different.

Here is my old Jeep with Fox shocks.
147220CF-2826-4BDD-8AE7-AB341D97508F.jpeg

mxengineer1

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio, USA
I have a 2018 Levo Comp in aluminum and 2019 Trek Powerfly 9.7 in carbon. I prefer the better bump absorption of the carbon frame - subtle difference but noticeable to me. The carbon is visible on certain colors of the Specialized carbon Levo models (a demo 2018 Carbon Comp I rode yesterday looked really cool in the sun)....
IMG_0570-1.jpeg
IMG_0581.jpeg

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
@AML - Where did you find that black model with such a tiny motor?

Lol I wish...that is the stumpjumper carbon comp that I tried just for frame size. They didn’t have a large Turbo Levo on the floor.

There are not many EMTB’s around me at all!

Here is the comp Turbo Levo that I tried out...

6B480CEB-F87F-4F1B-AF73-289CC8F449E3.jpeg

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
I'm using a pair of Point One Podium Pedals that I bought way back in 2011 for my old Ellsworth. I love the super low-profile which helps give a few extra mm of clearance. Sadly Point One isn't in business anymore so I'm not sure what I'd get if I had to replace them.
Get a set of these babies they are so light it's not funny I have some kitchen scales if you want to know the weight I'm lying in bed at the moment and ain't getting up just yet for anyone haha

20190307_072733.jpg

20190316_162957.jpg

20190307_140222.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles