Changed E-13 Chainring to Shimano spider which hits the chain guide mount

spxxky

Dec 11, 2021
Bolton
Any fix for this? It's weird but aren't the E13 and the Shimano spiders supposed to have a 53mm chainline?
It's the rear of the spider that hits the mounting bolts for the chain guide. The fix is don't use a chain guide, you don't need one.

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
yeah I'm interested to know the answer as I want to go to a bigger chainring at some point

Are you talking about the nukeproof chain guide? If the nukeproof sells an eMTB with this chainguide on an EP8 motor and that bike has a 53mm chain line and a SHIMANO spider - then it will fit.

Anyways, I personally replaced the eThirteen chainring on my Rise with Shimano Spider w/ 34T for shimano 12 speed (SM-CRE80-12-B ) but it looks like the smallest chainring Shimano sells is a 34T.

FSA also sells a spider for the EP8 with a 53mm chainline (W0154 - 380-0455000050 ) and it can be coupled with the RaceFace 32T Chainring for Shimano 12 speed ( 1x Chainring 104 BCD - SHI 12) if one wants to keep the chainring at 32T.

People already reported shearing their eThirteen direct mount chainrings in this forum (and it's a pain in the ass to remove the chain mount lock ring afterwards, one even had to get the motor replaced).

Anyways, here''s a pic of FUNN Chainring guide for the Steps Motor on my bike (coupled with the Shimano Spider)

Chairing.jpg

Last edited:

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
Are you talking about the nukeproof chain guide? If the nukeproof sells an eMTB with this chainguide on an EP8 motor and that bike has a 53mm chain line and a SHIMANO spider - then it will fit.

Anyways, I personally replaced the eThirteen chainring on my Rise with Shimano Spider w/ 34T for shimano 12 speed (SM-CRE80-12-B ) but it looks like the smallest chainring Shimano sells is a 34T.

FSA also sells a spider for the EP8 with a 53mm chainline (W0154 - 380-0455000050 ) and it can be coupled with the RaceFace 32T Chainring for Shimano 12 speed ( 1x Chainring 104 BCD - SHI 12) if one wants to keep the chainring at 32T.

People already reported shearing their eThirteen direct mount chainrings in this forum (and it's a pain in the ass to remove the chain mount lock ring afterwards, one even had to get the motor replaced).

Anyways, here''s a pic of FUNN Chainring guide for the Steps Motor on my bike (coupled with the Shimano Spider)

View attachment 90516

@Funks I bought one of those same shimano SM-CRE80-12-B spiders and 34t chainring. I have it still sitting in the box as I was waiting for my e13 chainring and current chain to get a bit more used up before putting the new stuff on.

It seems from your post, that I've quoted here, you believe the spider to be the
asymmetric version of 104bcd that shimano has used on say the m8000 cranks. Can you confirm if you've verified that? It's not a huge deal, as I think the 34t chainring will actually work well for my usage, but in the back of my head I wondered if I'd be able to fit any old NW 104bcd chainring to that spider.

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
Hmmm, the Shimano Spider and the FSA spider both use SYMMETRIC 104BCD chainrings (not ASYM ones)..

Additionally, given you are using a 12 speed Shimano Drive Train (with the Shimano Chain's extended plates) - have to use a chainring that's compatible with the Shimano12-speed chain. The RaceFace 32T chainring listed above is meant specifically for 12-speed Shimano chains. Additionally, the SM-CRE80-12-B chainring (34T) is specifically made for the Shimano 12-speed chain.

As for 32T vs 34T - practically no difference between the two, don't even have to replace the chain.

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
I should point out that the guide seemed to have moved up from where it wad set. Not sure what happened. I was riding along a banked bit of track and the rear wheel slid down the embankment into a rut.

I'll check the torque settings and then keep an eye on it in future.

eddomak

Feb 4, 2022
Australia
Hi, I broke 2 of the teeth on the original 32T e13 chainring this week, so am looking into options. The shop ordered the direct mount Shimano spider that has the 53mm chainline it definitely fouls the e13 chainguide mounting points, but even when the chainguide is taken off it then fouls something else. (I have an H30 frame in case it makes a difference). Do I need to order the 56mm chainline version of the spider? Thanks.

spxxky

Dec 11, 2021
Bolton
Hi, I broke 2 of the teeth on the original 32T e13 chainring this week, so am looking into options. The shop ordered the direct mount Shimano spider that has the 53mm chainline it definitely fouls the e13 chainguide mounting points, but even when the chainguide is taken off it then fouls something else. (I have an H30 frame in case it makes a difference). Do I need to order the 56mm chainline version of the spider? Thanks.
Hi, for the carbon frames the 53mm chain line is fine without the chain guide. I've not looked at the alloy frames so i don't know if there's a difference. Could help if you can find out what it's fouling on - the motor or the frame ?

eddomak

Feb 4, 2022
Australia
Hi, for the carbon frames the 53mm chain line is fine without the chain guide. I've not looked at the alloy frames so i don't know if there's a difference. Could help if you can find out what it's fouling on - the motor or the frame ?
Just got back from the shop and the 53mm chain line Shimano spider does not work on the alloy (H models) as the spider fouls on the frame. :( Photo below:
PXL_20221014_013851485.jpg

The 55mm chainline Shimano spider does work, but is definitely running a 55mm chainline (verified by measuring). This also doubly means you can't use the e13 chainguide - you can remove the spacer washers to get the guide inboard more and have clearance for the spider, but then this means the difference to the new 55 chainline is far too much.

I have temporarily installed the 55mm Shimano chainline spider and aftermarket chainring to use whilst seeking a solution.

Last edited:

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
Hmmm, I have an Rise Alloy (H series) and I've used both the Shimano Spider and the FSA spider made for a 53mm chainline - I even posted pictures above.

Not sure why people are trying to install a spider meant for a 55mm chainline

Here's the Shimano SM-CRE80-12-B (meant for a 53mm chain line - comes with 34T) - works on my Alloy H30 (Large)

Chairing.jpg

Last edited:

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
And here's the FSA spider w/ the RaceFace 12-speed Chainring, also made for 53mm chaiinline. Fits just fine on my H30, no rubbing.

FSA also sells a spider for the EP8 with a 53mm chainline (W0154 - 380-0455000050 ) and it can be coupled with theRaceFace 32T Chainring for Shimano 12 speed ( 1x Chainring 104 BCD - SHI 12) if one wants to keep the chainring at 32T.

93915-60fbee774d64c6d01749a5fcee368888.jpg

spxxky

Dec 11, 2021
Bolton
Just got back from the shop and the 53mm chain line Shimano spider does not work on the alloy (H models) as the spider fouls on the frame. :( Photo below:
View attachment 99223

The 55mm chainline Shimano spider does work, but is definitely running a 55mm chainline (verified by measuring). This also doubly means you can't use the e13 chainguide - you can remove the spacer washers to get the guide inboard more and have clearance for the spider, but then this means the difference to the new 55 chainline is far too much.

I have temporarily installed the 55mm Shimano chainline spider and aftermarket chainring to use whilst seeking a solution.
That's a blow... looking at your photo, I can't see any way around that other than the FSA spider. let us know how the 55mm chainline is - any drops etc.

eddomak

Feb 4, 2022
Australia
Not sure why people are trying to install a spider meant for a 55mm chainline
If I had a choice I wouldn't. Unfortunately the 53mm chainline spider didn't fit on mine, so all we had to experiment with and that worked was the 55mm. Model CM-CRE80 4 ARM Adapter, sub variant SM-CR Y1VY0020).

Here's the Shimano SM-CRE80-12-B (meant for a 53mm chain line - comes with 34T) - works on my Alloy H30 (Large)
Many Thanks for that - my H30 is only a Medium, so I have just checked and all the chainstay lengths are the same across the board, so it's strange that mine obviously fouls and yours doesn't. I will see if I can get the same part as yours which includes the 34T chainring. The part I got was only the spider.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles