Levo Gen 2 Brakes options upgrade

MMF27

Aug 4, 2020
Aberdeen
Hi guys
My turbo Lev0 2020 came with SRAM level T brakes
4 piston on front 200 mm rotor
2 piston in the back
I am using sintered metal pads now (organic before) and they definetly feel wither more grip. So I am happy with that.

A few days ago the front ones started to make a noise (rubbing and quite continues annoying one) and the wheel it didn’t move freely. I removed the wheel and the pads. I found the inner piston were more out that the ones on the out side. Push it with the pad tool and they where hard to push.
Place a brake pad separator and I noticed the only ones moving were the inner ones. The one on the outside started move a bit but… I got distracted and pushed to hard the level and the lower inner piston popped out. I lost the brake fluids etc.

story short, sent the bike to the store and the advice was to replace The whole calliper, since likely the piston that don’t want to move they have been damaged by heat.

Any way not sure I worth to give a bleed and try again or replace the whole

They have suggested to replace the whole brake system including the rotor, they mentioned to do a like to like replacement and better for me to order it online due to their backlog. And then just make an appointment to fit.

my question worth upgrading and if so to what?
I would appreciate any suggestion on the brand and spec I.e same rotor diameter etc
Another question. Why the rear is a dual piston and the front 4? I thought would be the other way round ?

I am keen to replace the front one if really needed, but leave the backone until is gone since is working fine

D13E9755-1086-476A-B21F-9782927B2845.jpeg

A61035C5-738B-4FC9-B0AE-2ACC6608E8FD.jpeg

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
I’m in a similar position at the moment although I haven’t popped my piston out...I can’t be bothered servicing the pistons as I’ve wanted to upgrade for a while anyway....

So I can’t decide between the Magura MT7 ‘Pro’ or the Hope Tech 3 V4...need another month or two to save some penny’s though ? Fancy a 220 rotor too.

My heart says Magura but my head says Hope ?‍♂️

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Front brakes do more than 50% of the stopping work, so it's common for the front to have beefier hardware than the back.

If your riding environment is tough on brakes (mine is - lots of long steep downhills shared with walkers), I can highly recommend Magura MT7 with their 220 mm MDR-P rotors front and rear.

MMF27

Aug 4, 2020
Aberdeen
I’m in a similar position at the moment although I haven’t popped my piston out...I can’t be bothered servicing the pistons as I’ve wanted to upgrade for a while anyway....

So I can’t decide between the Magura MT7 ‘Pro’ or the Hope Tech 3 V4...need another month or two to save some penny’s though ? Fancy a 220 rotor too.

well o have read here and there about reviews on both and it seems people like more Hope, aside of the color variety ?, they seem more east to maintain and it’s look they provide kind of same performance

MMF27

Aug 4, 2020
Aberdeen
Mine had the same, I upgraded to the new 2021 Sram Code R, no issues at all.
Thanks for the suggestion. Is the r version compatible with the gear shifter holder in the bars? The current level t brake level share the bar mount with it.
cheers

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
Thanks for the suggestion. Is the r version compatible with the gear shifter holder in the bars? The current level t brake level share the bar mount with it.
cheers

Yep straight swap over, all comes in the kit. I’ve noticed a massive improvement and gives me more faith on big descents and the braking is more progressive unlike the T’s which are on or off.

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
Just replaced the Guide REs on my 2020 Comp. They were OK but I was never very happy with them from new compared to the XTs on my last bike and no bite point adjustment. Had Hope Mono Minis on my acoustic Marins for nearly 10 years and they were superb and completely trouble free. So decide to bite the bullet and go for Hope Tech 3 V4s. Very expensive but absolutely worth every penny. Powerful and with excellent modulation with the bonus of being superbly engineered (and looking the business). No regrets whatsoever. Only warning is that you will need adaptors for SRAM on the bars and new post mounts (SRAM Post mounts won't work)

IvyG7

Apr 20, 2021
San Diego
Note the 2021 Levo Comp have Shimano centerlock rotors. If you want to use Magura MDRP rotors they only come in 6 bolt for 220.

Also don't forget the 6 bolt magnet rotor mounts from Specialized. P/N S194200016

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles