• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Best tow bar bike rack

MattK9441

Feb 3, 2019
Stroud
Hey everyone
I’ve just had a tow hook fitted to my T5 and am looking to buy a decent bike carrier but just wanted some expert guidance/experience on which one of the Thule models is best for carrying an e-bike. I have a Mondraker eCrusher and the downtube is quite substational so not sure some of the securing arms on the carriers would fit. Any clarification would be great fully appreciated.
Cheers

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have the Thule Velospace X2 for two bikes each up to 30kg. It has a longer wheelbase and wider tyre channels. It has the usual tip action so that you can get into the boot. If you order on-line from Halfords (a UK company) and opt for click and collect at your local Halfords, they should give you 10% off. It is not advertised, so I was delighted when it happened.

I don't use the down tube to clamp on to as it is far too big, in fact I never even considered it because the top tube is a better place for rigidity. The jaws open really wide and I use a piece of pipe insulation around the top tube as it's a carbon fibre frame. The wheel ties are excellent in the way they operate. I have two rubber covered flexible ties and I twist one around the top tube and clamp arm. I admit that it is probably totally unnecessary, but I already have them and what's the harm! I use the other to stop the cranks from moving, which I think is necessary.

The frame is 18kg vs the smaller 2-bike rack that Thule do which weighs 14kg. But the lighter version is for normal lighter clockwork bikes with narrower tyres. Check them both out and make your own decision. Both can be expanded to a 3 bike carrier by buying bolt-on bits. (But not a third e-bike I suspect!)

Quality is overall very good, but I do wish that they had spent another 50 pence on the locks! The locks have never failed to lock or unlock, but getting the key all the way in requires some fiddling. Apart from the locks, I would buy the rack again.

Last edited:

MattK9441

Feb 3, 2019
Stroud
I have the Thule Velospace X2 for two bikes each up to 30kg. It has a longer wheelbase and wider tyre channels. It has the usual tip action so that you can get into the boot. If you order on-line from Halfords (a UK company) and opt for click and collect at your local Halfords, they should give you 10% off. It is not advertised, so I was delighted when it happened.

I don't use the down tube to clamp on to as it is far too big, in fact I never even considered it because the top tube is a better place for rigidity. The jaws open rally wide and I use a piece of pipe insulation around the top tube as it's a carbon fibre frame. The wheel ties are excellent in the way they operate. I have two rubber covered flexible ties and I twist one around the top tube and clamp arm. I admit that it is probably totally unnecessary, but I already have them and what's the harm! I use the other to stop the cranks from moving, which I think is necessary.

The frame is 18kg vs the smaller 2-bike rack that Thule do which weighs 14kg. But the lighter version is for normal lighter clockwork bikes with narrower tyres. Check them both out and make your own decision. Both can be expanded to a 3 bike carrier by buying bolt-on bits. (But not a third e-bike I suspect!)

Quality is overall very good, but I do wish that they had spent another 50 pence on the locks! The locks have never failed to lock or unlock, but getting the key all the way in requires some fiddling. Apart from the locks, I would buy the rack again.
Thank you Steve, very helpful. I probably should have mentioned in the original post that I’m after something that will carry a minimum of 3 bikes (but only one ebike) as the kids will no doubt be bringing theirs on some of our trips.
Will check out the velospace X2 but sounds like a contender. Cheers

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
I have the Kuat NV2.0 and its a great bit of kit. Easily carries 2x Giant Trance E+, I take the batteries out to be on the safe side. You can also get an extender to carry up to 4 bikes. Its not cheap but its a quality product.

MattK9441

Feb 3, 2019
Stroud
I have the Kuat NV2.0 and its a great bit of kit. Easily carries 2x Giant Trance E+, I take the batteries out to be on the safe side. You can also get an extender to carry up to 4 bikes. Its not cheap but its a quality product.
Thanks, but unfortunately over here in the UK we don’t have the ‘hitch’ towing option, only the tow ball.

Carrot Cruncher

Mar 25, 2019
South Glos.
Hi @MattK9441, I bought a 2 cycle Westfalia rack for my T4 last year. Great German build quality with usual tilt function and carries our 2 ebikes without any problem but an issue which I'm sure you will also encounter is due to the size of T4/T5 tailgates they will not pass the rack even after tilting. That may not be the case with Thule racks but I have seen some that tilt then slide a little to ensure clearance but not sure of their make or model. Worth doing lots of research!

sarnie63

Apr 15, 2019
East Yorkshire
Another vote here for the Thule Velospace X2.
I’ve just recently swapped from an Atera Strada which didn’t ever seem to hold the bike very secure.
The Thule is far better built. Also available in a 3 bike option + a 4th bike add on....

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester
I have an Altera Strada DL3. It's brilliant. I have the optional 4th rail. It has a 60kg capacity and I have had 3 ebikes and a clockwork bike on it without any issues. It does come with 2 additional brackets and straps that hook onto the tailgate on my VW T6 Caravelle. It makes it that bit more stable. I can highly recommend it ??

sarnie63

Apr 15, 2019
East Yorkshire
I have an Altera Strada DL3. It's brilliant. I have the optional 4th rail. It has a 60kg capacity and I have had 3 ebikes and a clockwork bike on it without any issues. It does come with 2 additional brackets and straps that hook onto the tailgate on my VW T6 Caravelle. It makes it that bit more stable. I can highly recommend it ??
I think you might want to check the weight of 3 ebikes & clockwork.....

verysideways

Oct 17, 2018
Cotswolds
Thank you Steve, very helpful. I probably should have mentioned in the original post that I’m after something that will carry a minimum of 3 bikes (but only one ebike) as the kids will no doubt be bringing theirs on some of our trips.
Will check out the velospace X2 but sounds like a contender. Cheers
I've got a Thule 927 velocompact which is built for 3 bikes (but can take a 4th with an adapter).
I've put mine and my wife's Specialized e-bikes on there and put a third (child's) bike on there with no problems. Happy to show you if you like - i'm only a few miles from you!

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I have a Thule 925 Velocompact and while I like the unit and it was brilliant with 2 bikes, when it comes to ebikes the rails are too close together. Have looked at several other brands such as Yakima and EziGrip finding similar issues.

alan_sh

Aug 3, 2020
Rochdale
I've got the Thule Easyfold XT 2. Works nicely and the 2 x 23kg bikes bikes feel secure. Have to take the batteries out though (I'm still investigating this to see if I can get away without doing that)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles