• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Best Multi-tool?

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
OneUp EDC tool system looks good, but I don’t know if my steerer is threaded or not on my Haibike Sduro Full Fat Six.

I was going to get a Topeak Mini 20 Pro 20 Function instead if it’s not. Is that the best one?

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
Have an old Topeak Alien Mini that does the job, although the Levo has a nifty multi tool stashed away on the frame.
The alien has a really good chain tool which is a very useful not checked whether the Pro20 has one.

Halcon

Apr 27, 2018
Texas
OneUp EDC tool system looks good, but I don’t know if my steerer is threaded or not on my Haibike Sduro Full Fat Six.

I was going to get a Topeak Mini 20 Pro 20 Function instead if it’s not. Is that the best one?
The One Up EDC requires a special tool (that they sell) to score threads into your steerer tube. If that is not a problem many people love it. Specialized sells their SWAT Conceal Carry MTB Tool that is held in the steerer tube at both ends and does not require you to thread anything but it cannot carry CO2 canisters and the tool itself may not have all the bits you require.
I have the SWAT tool and it works for me and I never forget it because it lives in the bike. Topeak does have the Ninja tools that attach with a water bottle.

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
There's no best multitool
As a minimum try to choose one that covers every fastener on your bike and will split a chain.
There's no point having a fancy multitool if it won't re-tighten the bolt that has come loose.

Yeah well what I have been doing is carrying a toolkit in my pack, which I am tired of doing. If I can’t find a do it all Multi-tool, then maybe getting two diffferent ones will cover all the bases.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina

I have the Topeak Mini 20 Pro for 4 years and I love it. It has everything I need on the road in a small light package.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
One multitool should cover you. My point was more about finding one that covers everything without loads of extra pointless stuff.
Obvz you'll also need something to sort out punctures and inflate too

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
Topeak are good tools, the chain splitters are excellent seen a fair few other makes break!
I've had my alien for at least 10 years or so, and has all the essential fitments. I quite often use it whilst working on the bike in the garage instead of the main tools in the tool box!
The other thing I carry is a CO2 pump and a few tie wraps and spare tube, there was a thread a good while ago about what to carry. (y)

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
The original Alien was the daddy of tools all those years back!!

topeak-alien-2-tool-na-00103458-9999-2.jpg

Reactions: PGR

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
I've had a crank brothers 17 for ages, no complaints. Don't think there is a 'best one'. In the winter the screw came off the end and it fell to pieces. They replaced it no questions, no receipt and sent 2x back

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have one of these - bit expensive but if you hunt about you can find them reasonably priced. Really like how you can increase the leverage by flipping the sleeve round, best multitool i have had.

F15

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I carry the Topeak Hexus II and a Gerber Multiplier. Along with some zip ties and some gaffer tape wrapped around my mini pump, there's not much I can't fix.

Oh, and some spare brake pads, short lengths of chain, magic links, tyre wall patch, glue-less patches, a spare inner tube, and half a dozen paper towels! :eek:

But there are some things that can go wrong that nothing but component replacement or shed time will fix. :(

I also carry a small folding saw for trail obstructions, but that's a tool isn't it? :D

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have this one
Yeoman Turbo Folding Saw | J Parker Dutch Bulbs

This saw will go through 5" diameter tree branches like a knife through hot butter (only a slight exaggeration). I also use it as a very effective slasher to clear brambles, nettles and other trail barriers. It may also be an effective self defence weapon, but so far I've not needed it.

From experience the first thing I do is to replace the big screw that acts as the main hinge with another bolt that has a Nyloc nut to secure it. Because I also use the saw as a slashing tool, I lost a blade or two before I started making mods.

The other thing to change is the split pin that is the pivot for the blade locking mechanism. They are not robust enough for slashing duties, so I push it out and replace it with a galvanised nail that I saw off and then centre punch each end. If the locking mechanism fails, the blade can close on your fingers!

This all may see a bit of an arseache, but it doesn't take long and once done you only need to buy a new one when the blade goes blunt, and no trapped fingers! For less than £10 it is an absolute bargain and I don't travel off-piste without one. :)

Reactions: Dax

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
I carry the Topeak Hexus II and a Gerber Multiplier. Along with some zip ties and some gaffer tape wrapped around my mini pump, there's not much I can't fix.

Oh, and some spare brake pads, short lengths of chain, magic links, tyre wall patch, glue-less patches, a spare inner tube, and half a dozen paper towels! :eek:

But there are some things that can go wrong that nothing but component replacement or shed time will fix. :(

I also carry a small folding saw for trail obstructions, but that's a tool isn't it? :D
Do you have a trailer on the back of your bike ??

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Do you have a trailer on the back of your bike ??

No trailer, just a Camelbak MULE. :love:
Containing all of the above, plus a Topeak digital pressure gauge, a small combination lock with one meter of steel cable, three chocolate covered flapjacks, 1.5 - 3 litres of water depending upon season, pain killers, car keys, £10 in an envelope, asthma inhaler. Depending upon weather forecast, extra layer and/or spare gloves. Doesn't feel like much and it feels like the right stuff to take. I have used all of it from time to time when the lack of it would have been very inconvenient. No room for a spare battery though!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles