Best flat pedals?? Opinions please

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have two pairs of Vaults, black body with blue pins, both of them. One pair is 11 years old and the other is 8 years old, but I have no idea which is which. I have fitted three refurb kits (kept the axles) but whether that is one pair three times or both pairs an unequal number of times I have no idea. The only mod I have made is to add an O ring to the pedal axle between the pedal seal and the screw thread. Judging by results it seems to keep out the muck that eventually gets in for a lot longer. Something worth doing on an annual basis is to dismantle, clean and regrease the pedal internals. The pedals are still running true and without rumbling or any looseness.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The only mod I have made is to add an O ring to the pedal axle between the pedal seal and the screw thread.
So your pedals stay level when you do no foot cans?

Steve's typical morning ride
How_to_No_foot_can_a_Mountain_Bike___MTB_Skills_8-41_screenshot_1920x.png

bigdaddy46

Dec 9, 2020
MN
Deity Deftraps and five tens and I'm as planted as I want to be. Haven't missed clipping in since going to this setup.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Stamps don't last long and probably the worst pedal I own.
I'm on hopes now, nukeproof composit and gusset on other bikes

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
Race Face Chesters, very good VFM.
I’ve got these on seven bikes. Cheap and grippy. I actually like when the pins wear down a bit because they are sharp and scrape up my calves and tear my gear when new. They seem to be just as grippy whether they are sharp or not.

All4Fun

Aug 5, 2020
the Netherlands
I have two pairs of Vaults, black body with blue pins, both of them. One pair is 11 years old and the other is 8 years old, but I have no idea which is which. I have fitted three refurb kits (kept the axles) but whether that is one pair three times or both pairs an unequal number of times I have no idea. The only mod I have made is to add an O ring to the pedal axle between the pedal seal and the screw thread. Judging by results it seems to keep out the muck that eventually gets in for a lot longer. Something worth doing on an annual basis is to dismantle, clean and regrease the pedal internals. The pedals are still running true and without rumbling or any looseness.
Same here, 4 pairs, oldest 8-9 years, one pair has hit several rocks, pins bend, area around these pins also bend, but with normal maintenance, still running fine without play.

I'm going to try that O ring idea too, thanks.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Burgtec Penthouse mk5. Best alloy flat pedal
I genuinely prefer their composites to the MK5 alloy. (I have both) the alloy version's pedal body sits super close to the crank wheras the composite has more axle showing and places the pedal further outboard in a better position for my preference. The MK5 is very slightly grippier but TBH I prefer slightly less grip on my flat pedals. Better for steez init?

TBF there is no "best" pedal. Much like wimmin what suits you best is down to personal preference and riding style ;)

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Much like wimmin what suits you best is down to personal preference and riding style ;)

Right?
I like my flats, whether they're Race Face, Crank Brothers, or HT's.
And I like my wimmin, whether they're blondes, brunettes, or redheads.

And then there are those guys who go for clipless, and that's ok, too.
It doesn't make them bad people.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Definitely prefer brunettes and I'm really not into redheads... they fucking love me though so I've had far too much experience with them. Just like pedals the model you have most experience with doesn't necessarily make make it the best choice ;)

I ride clips too. and roadbikes.

bit of a slut really. :whistle:

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I love my vaults - with a pair of five ten's the grip is massive. Done nearly 3k this year on them, new bearings, bit of grease and replace a few pins, like new again.

GIJO1977

Dec 21, 2021
Canberra, Australia
I can vouch for the limitations of the Stamp 1’s in a small size. There in no concave to the spindle area of the pedal and the 10mm screws are not long enough to grip your shoe in that central zone.
I am about to change the pins for 12mm ones, but this ads ~$12-15 to the cost of the pedal, making it way less appealing.
I came off some Deity Deftraps which were great, just a little big for all mountain trail riding, much better for gravity I bet.
Good luck on choosing a pedal.

CrunchBytes

Subscriber
Oct 7, 2021
Warwick, UK
I wear 5.10 Impact VXi (2 pairs, and they haven't fallen apart yet), and the grippiest pedals I've ever used are the OneUp Alloy on my Capra.
2nd grippiest: Superstar Nano X (the larger alloy pedal).
On my Rise I'm currently running my 5 year old Hopes that I used to run on my Jeffsy, and they seem to be pretty indestructible. Even the pins last ages (finally replaced 3 pins before putting on the Rise). They don't bend, they just wear/grind down after multiple rock strikes. But when they do wear down, just be careful when you're pushing the bike as the edges are then sharp and can catch your calves/shins if you're not careful (ouch!).
However - the Hope's aren't actually all that grippy - prob due to the fatter pins. Was fine on the Jeffsy, but the Rise needs grippier pedals. Interested to read above about the Burgtec pins fitting (which ones?), and I've also read that removing the 2 spindle pins also helps, so might try that as well.

The Rise came with some new Burgtec composites. Not impressed at all. Not very grippy and the pins bent at the first hint of a rock strike, further decreasing their grip. Bent pins replaced and now the pedals are in the spares box. I know I said the Hope's weren't that grippy, but they're still way grippier than the Burgtecs!

At some point (when funds have recovered!) I'll get another pair of the OneUp Alloy fitted. Would use what I have, but they're green, and my Rise is blue - can't have mis-matched colours!

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-20 at 10.40.19 AM.jpeg

Had to straighten them out with pliers first before replacing. I've come across cheese harder than these!
I don't think the actual shape helps as there's no 'ramp' to help deflect off rocks.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My burgtec composites are still 100% in tact with no play or damage to any pins after 2 years use.

I don't think the actual shape helps as there's no 'ramp' to help deflect off rocks.
Seriously?
:ROFLMAO:
looking where you're going might help moar

CrunchBytes

Subscriber
Oct 7, 2021
Warwick, UK
My burgtec composites are still 100% in tact with no play or damage to any pins after 2 years use.

Seriously?
:ROFLMAO:
looking where you're going might help moar
Well what can I say… been riding since the early eighties, but never have bent pins like those on the Burgtecs. And they’re the only pedals I’ve used with a step, rather than a ramp. But, hey, YMMV. I know these pedals don’t work for me, so won’t be using them. The Hope pedals: not as grippy, but tough as old boots.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles