Anybody ordered from Bike-Discount.de recently?

LordSpam

Oct 14, 2020
UK
I bought some replacement wheels and new brakes from bike-discount.de 10 days ago. Realised when I logged in to see if there was any shipping updates the following week that I had left something in my basket that I didn't need so emailed them asking if it could be removed before shipping, this was a week ago and still not had any response from them.

Anybody had issues with contacting them in the past?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yes. Tyres a couple of weeks ago .. but delivery to France. They didn't make it - only because of some f-up by the courier at this end .. Contacted bike discount as I couldn't contact the courier. They were pretty quick to respond and said leave it with them .. three days later .. nothing .. so contacted again and they said they'd been told to open a case with the courier .. so that was that basically ..

[email protected]

Normally they're pretty good, except for dispatch, which sometimes seems to take upto 5 days.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If it is in your basket and you didn't order it, then just delete it.

I have dealt with bike-discount.de and had zero problems. But times have changed. New rules apply on stuff like the application of VAT. There is a switch point (either £130 or €130, not sure) above which the retailer charges vat, below which the parcel company has to collect the VAT from you! This has generated confusion. Is the retailer charging VAT or not? Is the parcel company charging it? Are you being charged twice? Parcel companies are charging extra for the additional admin. Some retailers have decided to stop selling to the UK (at least for a while, but maybe permanently) because the extra admin makes the items unprofitable. I am not speaking as an expert here, just passing on what I have picked up. Personally, I will be avoiding purchasing small items from the EU until all this has settled down.

LordSpam

Oct 14, 2020
UK
Chased them again and finally got a reply saying it would be dispatched shortly.

you have to spend over £175 including shipping costs then DHL will collect the VAT. Would have used a UK supplier but the prices we much higher.

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
Chased them again and finally got a reply saying it would be dispatched shortly.

you have to spend over £175 including shipping costs then DHL will collect the VAT. Would have used a UK supplier but the prices we much higher.
I'm looking a putting in a order, I'd be interested to hear how it works out for you.

Nice to find out what it cost you, 20% vat, £5 admin & possible duty if manufactured outside of UK.(is the answer I got from DPD)

Good to hear a real life order experience.

LordSpam

Oct 14, 2020
UK
I'm looking a putting in a order, I'd be interested to hear how it works out for you.

Nice to find out what it cost you, 20% vat, £5 admin & possible duty if manufactured outside of UK.(is the answer I got from DPD)

Good to hear a real life order experience.

When it appears I will let you know.

Reactions: JMD

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
bike-discount.de has been great for me recently - switched to using them instead of bike24 (as bike24 no longer ship to the UK).
I did have one parcel stuck in Hamburg (or somewhere for a few days) but it sorted itself out.
It does take longer now (after Brexit) as the delivery company will contact you to pay for extra duties first, before they will deliver it.

Worldwide Cyclery also seem good - but delivery from the US is even longer.

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
My only comment on this is that they take quite a while to dispatch after your order - 5days from payment.
Other than that all good. I use Bike24 also and I have had very similar delivery times to Ireland

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
bike-discount.de has been great for me recently - switched to using them instead of bike24 (as bike24 no longer ship to the UK).
I did have one parcel stuck in Hamburg (or somewhere for a few days) but it sorted itself out.
It does take longer now (after Brexit) as the delivery company will contact you to pay for extra duties first, before they will deliver it.

Worldwide Cyclery also seem good - but delivery from the US is even longer.
So what charges did you have to pay the delivery company? ( Bike discount min. Order £175 less vat to UK)
Thanks

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
So what charges did you have to pay the delivery company? ( Bike discount min. Order £175 less vat to UK)
Thanks

So the delivery took 10 days overall from posting.

Payment to bike-discount.de was: £387.81 (£374.37 goods & £13.44 shipping)

Parcelforce then charged me: £115.49 (I don't have a breakdown as threw away the letter - but it was probably for VAT, customs duty & handling charge)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So the delivery took 10 days overall from posting.

Payment to bike-discount.de was: £387.81 (£374.37 goods & £13.44 shipping)

Parcelforce then charged me: £115.49 (I don't have a breakdown as threw away the letter - but it was probably for VAT, customs duty & handling charge)
If anyone doesn't want to pay extra fees, you can have your purchases shipped to me in France ..

and then ? .. well, you'll have all the joy of searching and shopping , without the inconvenience of those additional fees or having to wait for a delivery ..

Mark02380

Now "Mark24" 👍
Jun 5, 2019
Southampton
Want to order some parts from these guys, the order total is £1035 incl postage can anybody tell me what my charges are likely to be

cheers

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
To clarify................if you are in the UK and you order goods from the EU the EU retailer should charge you VAT for any goods up to the value of £135. You should not then of course be charged VAT by the carrier.
If your order is over £135 the retailer should not charge you any VAT. VAT at the UK rate is payable by you to the carrier.

If the goods you order are primarily sourced in the EU you will not have to pay any import tariff. If the EU retailer has sourced the product you want to buy wholly or more than c 52% by value from outside the EU, you will be charged WTO import tariff relevant to the category of product you bought. ( Rules of Origin).

Since it falls to the carrier to charge any import tariff and/or VAT due, there may also be a charge by the carrier ( in addition to shipping charges)

The simplest scenario is if you buy goods from the EU valued at £135 or less that fully/mostly originate from within the EU the retailer should quote you a VAT inclusive price plus delivery and there is nothing more for you to pay.

Mark02380

Now "Mark24" 👍
Jun 5, 2019
Southampton
To clarify................if you are in the UK and you order goods from the EU the EU retailer should charge you VAT for any goods up to the value of £135. You should not then of course be charged VAT by the carrier.
If your order is over £135 the retailer should not charge you any VAT. VAT at the UK rate is payable by you to the carrier.

If the goods you order are primarily sourced in the EU you will not have to pay any import tariff. If the EU retailer has sourced the product you want to buy wholly or more than c 52% by value from outside the EU, you will be charged WTO import tariff relevant to the category of product you bought. ( Rules of Origin).

Since it falls to the carrier to charge any import tariff and/or VAT due, there may also be a charge by the carrier ( in addition to shipping charges)

The simplest scenario is if you buy goods from the EU valued at £135 or less that fully/mostly originate from within the EU the retailer should quote you a VAT inclusive price plus delivery and there is nothing more for you to pay.
Yep I’m in the uk, I’m looking to purchase SRAM X01 Eagle AXS Upgrade-Kit and a Reverb AXS Dropper which come to a to of £1035 so what do you think the ground total would be

cheers

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
Yep I’m in the uk, I’m looking to purchase SRAM X01 Eagle AXS Upgrade-Kit and a Reverb AXS Dropper which come to a to of £1035 so what do you think the ground total would be

cheers
What does it come to if you use the Bikester.co.uk website? The prices there seem to include VAT and import duty. It will go through to the .de website for payment etc.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Both are probably imported from Taiwan ( SRAM) or China so whatever the WTO tariff is for bike accessories will be charged plus 20% VAT. Both will be charged by the carrier plus admin fees by the carrier. I do not know what the tariff is for bike accessories...probably something like 6%.

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
My guess is that you should expect to pay that then. Looks like that’s the way they will do business with the UK.

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
We can all read the information available & make informed "it should be".
Certain members will throw out info & numbers they've done in other threads.
All that matters is what the OP asked:

ANYBODY ORDERED FROM BIKE-DISCOUNT.DE RECENTLY?

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
It's not simple JMD, and will depend on exactly what you buy and who they use to ship it.

Whatever you buy, you'll be over the VAT threshold, so you'll have to pay 20% VAT regardless.
Bikediscount use DHL or DPD. DPD charge £6 import fee, DHL is minimum £11, 2.5% of value including duties. So you want DPD if poss.
Duty won't apply if what you buy is made (or largely made) in the EU.
If it's made outside the EU, like most bike bits, you'll be paying an extra %. 6% has been quoted, but it's bloody impossible to find that. Think it'll depend on the commodity code, so I hope for their sake it's all the same. But if you order clothing, that might be different.

Is that clear?

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
It's not simple JMD, and will depend on exactly what you buy and who they use to ship it.

Whatever you buy, you'll be over the VAT threshold, so you'll have to pay 20% VAT regardless.
Bikediscount use DHL or DPD. DPD charge £6 import fee, DHL is minimum £11, 2.5% of value including duties. So you want DPD if poss.
Duty won't apply if what you buy is made (or largely made) in the EU.
If it's made outside the EU, like most bike bits, you'll be paying an extra %. 6% has been quoted, but it's bloody impossible to find that. Think it'll depend on the commodity code, so I hope for their sake it's all the same. But if you order clothing, that might be different.

Is that clear?

Their experience, costs, carriers used & goods ordered.

Is that clear?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
We can all read the information available & make informed "it should be".
Certain members will throw out info & numbers they've done in other threads.
All that matters is what the OP asked:

except.........what the OP actually asked was had anyone had issues contacting them!

LordSpam

Oct 14, 2020
UK
Finally everything arrived in three separate shipments. Think I got very lucky each box was worth over £150 but somehow I wasn't charged for VAT or duty.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Has anyone used these recently? I'm maybe looking at a purchase above £300 and was wondering what I'll be stung with VAT/Taxes, once the order has been completed? TIA

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Yes you will need to pay VAT and any customs charges.

My last order was made on 12.04 and it's finally arriving tomorrow (10.05). It was stuck in customs for 3 weeks for some reason, it's usually here within a week of ordering.

Keep an eye on the tracking. They usually ship with DHL who will pass it over to parcelforce.
Parcelforce tracking will update to say customs duties are required and they'll send you a letter with details. Give them a ring and you should be able to get the 17 digit code to pay the duties and set a delivery date. The letter usually turns up a month or two later!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles