Levo SL Gen 1 2020 Specialized Levo SL alloy custom build thread

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
How tall are you? I found it pretty twitchy on climbs with the 150. 160 and it’ll want to loop out way too much for taller riders.
Not if you simply lower the bars by removing one 10mm spacer from under the stem and adjust the saddle position very slightly forwards and down ;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
my guess is the paint will shave 120-130g off.
Mainly because somewhere in the 100-120g region has always been the case when I've done it with smaller FS frames

73Steff

E*POWAH Master
Sep 11, 2018
Haslemere Surrey
Look whats back?

Will get some weights up in the morning, also going to do some comparisons on the stock Sram NX mech/cassette verses the Sram XX1 Eagle I’ll be fitting and stock alloy Roval’s/Carbon Rovals.

BAB46881-DD1F-4FA6-B9AC-8769471AB823.jpeg

jimsydney2000

Jan 18, 2020
Australia
Hi Im really interested in the SL, but noticed on Robs youtube video "SL vs Levo" the motor sounded really noising like a high pitch whine when engaged. Just wondering what you have found compared to a regular Levo.

73Steff

E*POWAH Master
Sep 11, 2018
Haslemere Surrey
Hi Im really interested in the SL, but noticed on Robs youtube video "SL vs Levo" the motor sounded really noising like a high pitch whine when engaged. Just wondering what you have found compared to a regular Levo.

It’s a different noise.....yes more of a whine as its direct gear drive rather than a belt on the Brose Levo motor. Having said that the Levo motor has a different noise to my friends Bosch and anothers Shimano. The ability to pedal through the speed restriction is it’s biggest advantage to me, I’d put up with a different sound for that alone.

jimsydney2000

Jan 18, 2020
Australia
It’s a different noise.....yes more of a whine as its direct gear drive rather than a belt on the Brose Levo motor. Having said that the Levo motor has a different noise to my friends Bosch and anothers Shimano. The ability to pedal through the speed restriction is it’s biggest advantage to me, I’d put up with a different sound for that alone.

Great thanks, I will see if I can find one locally to test ride.

73Steff

E*POWAH Master
Sep 11, 2018
Haslemere Surrey
Hope to achieve similar result with the Alloy SL. Compared weight on my stock S-Works Levo(nice factory spec obviously and 700 battery) to my Raw finished Alloy Levo with custom spec (500 battery, frame & dropper only stock items, carbon wheels/bars/cranks etc )

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
It would require a lot more in this ‘Custom build’ to get this alloy framed Levo under 20kgs. The weight difference between a 700 and 500 is around 700gms. That coil is a heavy lump too. What else was done?
Very sceptical about this ‘weigh in‘ as it does not add up.
More than happy to be proved wrong.

73Steff

E*POWAH Master
Sep 11, 2018
Haslemere Surrey
It would require a lot more in this ‘Custom build’ to get this alloy framed Levo under 20kgs. The weight difference between a 700 and 500 is around 700gms. That coil is a heavy lump too. What else was done?
Very sceptical about this ‘weigh in‘ as it does not add up.
More than happy to be proved wrong.
I was surprised too but hard to argue with the scales and picture below of bike on new set of Park Tools scales which I’d hope are accurate??‍♂️ Going to check them against shop ones when have a chance.

Last edited:

73Steff

E*POWAH Master
Sep 11, 2018
Haslemere Surrey
Full spec of Alloy Levo below:

2019’ Levo Comp 500wh battery
Ohlins 160 forks
Ohlins rear coil
X fusion dropper w/ Specialized ti rail saddle
Deity 35mm stem
Deity 35mm carbon bars (cut to 770mm)
Deity grips
Sram Code RSc brakes 200/180 rotors & ti bolts
Sram XO 11spd shifter & rear mech
Roval carbon wheelset w/Michelin 2.25 Muds (tubeless)
Shimano XT11spd cassette & chain
Praxis carbon cranks
DMR Brendog Vault pedals

73Steff

E*POWAH Master
Sep 11, 2018
Haslemere Surrey
Slow progress but both rear stays near completion. Been doing some detailed weight comparisons so will post up weight of stock stuff verses final build spec.

DF87029B-A4A4-4238-BF23-BCF9DA98C4EF.jpeg

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
I’m really loving this thread. Thanks for posting so much detail.

After you’ve done the brushed finish how do you protect the raw alu?

73Steff

E*POWAH Master
Sep 11, 2018
Haslemere Surrey
I’m really loving this thread. Thanks for posting so much detail.

After you’ve done the brushed finish how do you protect the raw alu?
Again....patience, will all be explained?

Has to be cleaned to an inch of its life to clear all the sanding debris, then clear coated (I usually use a satin finish) then any decals applied and finished off with an invisiframe kit. My Levo was done in this and has been my winter eeeb, gets a beating and apart from a little heal rub still looks good.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Again....patience, will all be explained?

Has to be cleaned to an inch of its life to clear all the sanding debris, then clear coated (I usually use a satin finish) then any decals applied and finished off with an invisiframe kit. My Levo was done in this and has been my winter eeeb, gets a beating and apart from a little heal rub still looks good.
Would make a good video!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles