2019 Turbo levo expert rear shock pressure

Temecula

Oct 23, 2019
California
So, I have the bike mentioned above with the Rockshox rear shock that comes standard with the bike. I weigh 250 lbs. and the max air pressure rating on the shock is 325 lbs. When I have it pumped up to 325 I am still at 40% sag. I would like to get it closer to 30%. If I add an air band to the shock will this give me more support and get me closer to 30% sag? Or should I upgrade to a better shock?

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
So, I have the bike mentioned above with the Rockshox rear shock that comes standard with the bike. I weigh 250 lbs. and the max air pressure rating on the shock is 325 lbs. When I have it pumped up to 325 I am still at 40% sag. I would like to get it closer to 30%. If I add an air band to the shock will this give me more support and get me closer to 30% sag? Or should I upgrade to a better shock?
Per the Specialized suspension calculator you should need 284-300 psi, depending on frame size: Clicky
I weigh 170 lbs and the recommendation for my large "19 Comp gives me exactly 30% sag. You're close to the limit of the shock and maybe your pump so that might explain it but are you aware of cycling the suspension while pumping to equalized pressure in the positive and negative chambers? That could be the issue. RockShox Debon Air and Solo Air Rear Shock Sag Setup

Temecula

Oct 23, 2019
California
Per the Specialized suspension calculator you should need 284-300 psi, depending on frame size: Clicky
I weigh 170 lbs and the recommendation for my large "19 Comp gives me exactly 30% sag. You're close to the limit of the shock and maybe your pump so that might explain it but are you aware of cycling the suspension while pumping to equalized pressure in the positive and negative chambers? That could be the issue. RockShox Debon Air and Solo Air Rear Shock Sag Setup

Great info Jeff, I have cycled the shock to get the pressure equalized, I did leave out the fact that I weigh 250 but I do wear a backpack with 2 liters of water and just a few extras like a tube etc.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Great info Jeff, I have cycled the shock to get the pressure equalized, I did leave out the fact that I weigh 250 but I do wear a backpack with 2 liters of water and just a few extras like a tube etc.
I just talked to my buddy with the exact same bike as yours. He weighs 220 lbs and at the recommended pressure his sag was also 40% so he pumped in a bit more until he was in the low to mid 30% range and called it good.

From what I've read on the interwebs it seems like standard factory suspensions are designed for rider weights of 150-200 lbs so maybe 40% sag is the lowest you'll get from the stock setup. Hopefully others who weigh the same as you reply with their solutions. My first thought is add volume spacers, especially since you might be bottoming out. Cheap and easy to do.

Temecula

Oct 23, 2019
California
Thanks for all the input it's greatly appreciated. For what its worth I will post the reply I got back from specialized on this subject. It's confusing to me and I was looking for some more feedback on their suggestion. Which is to let some air out of the shock to give me less sag! Didn't make sense to me. Here it is.

Hey Bruce

Thanks for the email. If you are getting to 40% sag with the shock air pressure set at 325 psi you will need to let air out of your shock to get into the 20-30% range not add more. Adding a token to the shock wont change the sag settings or small bump compliance, it will ramp up the resistance when you are using closer to the max amount of travel in your shock and prevent you from bottoming out as well as creating a more progressive feel to the shock. If you do decide to replace the shock I would recommend a coil option or working with your local Specialized retailer if you decide on going with another air shock just to confirm the shock tune will be suitable for your E-bike.

Have a great day

-Rob

1Nixxxo

Nov 29, 2019
Russia

Hi.
Did you found a solution? I'm 250-255 lbs, ordered the Levo 2021 with Deluxe shock. Now I'm thinking about what to do with shock until it arrives in late in March.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Maybe Cane Creek DB Kitsuma Air is a solution. Max rider's weight is so close and I think you love your Levo so much, that you ride it a lot and at the same time your weight drops.

Read this thread and post #2

1Nixxxo

Nov 29, 2019
Russia
Maybe Cane Creek DC Kitsuma Air is a solution. Max rider's weight is so close and I think you love your Levo so much, that you ride it a lot and at the same time your weight drops.

Read this thread and post #2

Thanks, good point!
Yeah, I looked through the whole market of rear shock and decided to return to gym ?

Weather is shitty anyway, so why not to loose 10 kg and buy MegNeg instead

thewildblue

Feb 14, 2019
Bucks
Im 220lbs, with a 2019 Levo expert. I went the Megneg route and it was good, but I then got a cane creek DB air with a custom tune for my weight and riding and its night and day different....much better.

1Nixxxo

Nov 29, 2019
Russia
Im 220lbs, with a 2019 Levo expert. I went the Megneg route and it was good, but I then got a cane creek DB air with a custom tune for my weight and riding and its night and day different....much better.

I agree on full featured DB should be way better than stock, what kind of custom tune to your weight they did? DB doesn’t seem to have any shim stack due to twin tube design. I asked CC, but didn’t receive a reply on this exact question.

I currently have Super Dexule on Merida eOne-Sixty that works flowlessly, but due to different suspension design I run it with 270 psi out of 350 psi.

How much pressure do you run in CCDB Air?

thewildblue

Feb 14, 2019
Bucks
I got mine from Jtech Suspension. I filled in a form and they did their magic. I cant remember the pressure off the top of my head and i havent had to touch it for a while.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles