Sold 2019 Focus Jam2 9.6 NINE (CF) Large: £2950 GBP (new price - again!)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
1 Focus side right.jpg

Bike / Product Year: 2019
Manufacturer: Focus
Model: Jam2 9.6 NINE

Size Large
Asking Price: £2950 GBP
Location Grantham - Newark area in UK

Description Overall: Almost new-looking lightweight emtb, carbon fibre frame, very well maintained and looked after. Better than new spec. The independent bike shop I use for the servicing offered to let the bike be collected from his shop so that he can tell the buyer how good it is, inside as well as out. (He is not on commission). What a nice man! :)
(11 more pics available, will take more on request)​

Reason for sale? I didn't think I ever would, but I bought a new bike! :D

New bike in Jan’19, bought from JE James, Sheffield.

Size: Large
Weight: 20.8Kg No pedals. Very light for an emtb, even with more substantial tyres than original spec.
Protection: Frame mostly covered with helicopter tape, several layers in places.
Colour: Blue. Identical to Peugot’s Aegean Blue Metallic. Three part touch up kit comes with the bike.
Frame: Carbon fibre frame, alloy rear triangle, 29” wheels. 150mm suspension travel both ends. Pivots all good, pivot bearings at top of seat stay replaced May’20.
Motor & Battery: Shimano e8000 Steps, 70Nm torque, with 378Whr battery in the down tube. All fully updated Jul’21, mileage 3071m. New battery & 4-Amp charger Apr’19. Bottom bracket still solid. State of battery is very good. (All a Shimano report will tell you of any of their batteries is that it is OK, or not). Shimano display screen in colour.
Suspension: Rockshox both ends. Service receipts available.
Front: Pike Ultimate RCT3 with Charger 2.1 damper and Debonair spring, Push ultra-low friction wiper seals fitted. Converted from the original Revelation RC Debonair in Jun’20. Serviced three times. Once by SRAM, all OK. Serviced during the conversion to Pike, all new seals, foam rings and lubes. Lower leg service plus new foam rings Jul’21.​
Rear: DeLuxe R Debonair. One bottomless token. Serviced by SRAM twice, all OK. Shock has done only 500 miles since the last service. Note: The shock has done 371 miles less than the bike while I tried an alternative shock. New upper & lower shock mounting bolts fitted Apr’21.​
Drive train: 11-speed. Shimano XT shifters, chain, mech and cassette, all good. On second chain and cassette. New shifter inner wire Aug’20. New jockey wheels May’21. Mech stripped and cleaned Jul’21.
Brakes: Shimano BR-M520 4-pot calipers, 200mm discs front & rear. Apr/May’21 new pads both ends.
Wheels: Race face AR30, offset rims, Novatex hubs. New wheel bearings front and rear Mar’21.
Tyres: Both run tubeless with latex sealant
Front: 29x2.5 WTB Vigilante TCS Light, High Grip, with TriTec compound and Slash Guard.​
Rear: 29x2.5 Maxxis High Roller II 3C WT Maxx Terra EXO TR.​
Headset: New “Blue Seal” bearings, Sep’20.
Dropper: Kind Shock e30i. 125mm travel. New inner cable fitted Apr’20.

Faults:
Handlebar: Right side under the grip (can’t be seen) accident damage, length not affected.
Fork left leg: There is a small mark, like really small, on the stanchion. It is smooth, does not affect the wiper seal and according to the recent lower leg service it doesn’t carry any muck into the fork.
Dropper: Slight (less than 2mm at the nose) rotational movement of the saddle, can’t be detected whilst riding. Every dropper I’ve had does this after a while.
Frame: Any stone chips have been touched up with the matching blue paint. You have to look hard to find them.
Protective tape: There are places where the helicopter tape is slightly damaged. The frame underneath is unmarked. Close-up pics can be taken if required. The tape comes off easily when required, leaving no marks.

Additional items available to purchase: Full details and pics available.

TEC pack: comprising another 378Whr battery that clips onto the downtube, complete with cables, fittings and other items. This will double your range. Presented in a substantial polycarbonate Focus case with all items in pre-cut foam The battery has only been used about 20 times, if that. (TEC stands for Tailored Energy Concept). These are £459 new. My price £300.

DVO Topaz T3 shock: Pristine and undamaged. Size 210x55. High performance shock, highly adjustable. Only done 347 miles from new (Apr’21). The shock is complete with the mounting kit and will slot right in to the bike. It should take less than ten mins to swap. Complete with DVO shock pump, +ve & -ve tokens, plus manual. Presented in a sturdy polycarbonate DVO case with all items in pre-cut foam. This sought after shock is hard to find in this size. They are £450 when websites don’t have them and £500 when they do. My price £350.

Last edited:

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Wow looks wonderful .
Seriously thinking about a Ries & Muller Delight Off Road its not a lightweight Focus but might be more suitable for this old git who hates perpetuately cleaning the drive train.
Have fun and keep us posted.....Old gits and their toys eh?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I don't know why it didn't occur to me before, but friend pointed out that I won't be paying eBay fees on here, so I could reduce the price by £350. So I will as soon as I work out how to do it. It must be simple to do.
Edit: Yes it was, same as a normal edit.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Have you got it advertised elsewhere ? Remember a lot of forum members already have a bike so not that many look to buy.
eBay only so far. Plus the word is out.
I am getting conflicting views on the recommended selling price. My LBS says "£3500, it's a great bike, worth every penny!" A friend who's opinion I value says "don't let it go for less than £3000, the fact you have had little interest is because people are on hols right now". It hasn't turned a wheel now for 4 weeks, but half of that time was me cleaning it and doing the write up. I accept that some of that time was my subconscious delaying tactics because I'm not 100% certain that I want to sell it. I regret selling my last bike, a Whyte T130 RS C. :(

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
eBay only so far. Plus the word is out.
I am getting conflicting views on the recommended selling price. My LBS says "£3500, it's a great bike, worth every penny!" A friend who's opinion I value says "don't let it go for less than £3000, the fact you have had little interest is because people are on hols right now". It hasn't turned a wheel now for 4 weeks, but half of that time was me cleaning it and doing the write up. I accept that some of that time was my subconscious delaying tactics because I'm not 100% certain that I want to sell it. I regret selling my last bike, a Whyte T130 RS C. :(
How about you sell it to yourself for £6k - then you get to keep the bike and feel good about the huge price you sold it for ?

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I would take it, if there were more helicopter parts !
But only helicopter tape....really ?

I think it's a very fair price.....lovely bike and well maintained.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Steve ... that is a cracking price for a superb bike ......dont be in too much of a rush . Unless you are under pressure from indoors.!
The Focuses on here seem to sell well so hold on ...... keep it long enough and mine will be on here in the late Autum.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Steve ... that is a cracking price for a superb bike ......dont be in too much of a rush . Unless you are under pressure from indoors.!
The Focuses on here seem to sell well so hold on ...... keep it long enough and mine will be on here in the late Autum.
Thanks to you and @aarfeldt (oh err and @Zimmerframe) for those supportive words. Right now the bike is in the utility room watching me write this. The insurance company will not allow both bikes in the garage at the same time. So the clean one gets to be with me.

Focus watching me.jpg

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
I’m sure you’re already aware of this but Ebay do occasional (but regular) reduced fee deals for sellers - sometimes it’s just a £1 fee, sometimes 80% reduction. I sold my Jam2 last year for just £1 fee and I’ve got some non biking stuff for sale now with the 80% fee reduction offer.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I’m sure you’re already aware of this but Ebay do occasional (but regular) reduced fee deals for sellers - sometimes it’s just a £1 fee, sometimes 80% reduction. I sold my Jam2 last year for just £1 fee and I’ve got some non biking stuff for sale now with the 80% fee reduction offer.
Thanks for that, it's on a £2 version of that. They call it "Max selling fees".

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.

This deals on again until Monday Steve, if you already have it on ebay you can pull it off and relist it each time a new deal comes around extending your time.

I sold my last ebike on gumtree though be warned you will get tonnes of stupid offers, 'wonna swop it 4 a bmx, a alba 80 watt sterio and a multipack ov space raiders', had one guy trying to convince me to let him pay weekly :D.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
This deals on again until Monday Steve, if you already have it on ebay you can pull it off and relist it each time a new deal comes around extending your time.

I sold my last ebike on gumtree though be warned you will get tonnes of stupid offers, 'wonna swop it 4 a bmx, a alba 80 watt sterio and a multipack ov space raiders', had one guy trying to convince me to let him pay weekly :D.
I've already got it on a £2 deal, but thanks for the heads up. :)

Thanks also for the warning about Gumtree.
I have the bike on here, eBay and Pinkbike. Thinking of Singletrack as well.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

Can't believe it's not been snapped up yet .. I think you need to market it as an Orbea Rise alternative, but better. :)
Yep, me too! The guy at my LBS is astonished, but maybe I've missed the peak for previously loved emtbs?

I had one offer for £2500. I told the bidder it was worth more and by the way did he know that it was a ten-hour round trip to collect the bike! Never heard from them again. Last night I had 17 watchers on eBay. I invited them each to make a sensible offer.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yep, me too! The guy at my LBS is astonished, but maybe I've missed the peak for previously loved emtbs?

I had one offer for £2500. I told the bidder it was worth more and by the way did he know that it was a ten-hour round trip to collect the bike! Never heard from them again. Last night I had 17 watchers on eBay. I invited them each to make a sensible offer.
You could do it as an e-bay auction with a reserve ? But you might end up paying crazy fees and it wouldn't be worth it ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi @Zimmerframe, I considered an auction an rejected it. For an auction to work you need to be sure that there will be interest. I have searched on eBay for an item I am wanting to sell to see how others describe it, how many adds are there, how are they being sold, what asking price, what is the best title etc. One time I could not find anything like what I wanted to sell. So I went for a fixed price and just hoped that there was at least one person out there who was in need of the item. I sold it within 24 hours. I was lucky. Another item had to be listed 3 times before I found the one person that wanted it.
l have no difficulty in letting popular or low priced items go to auction and I have done very well (grips, bars, calipers etc). But a bike, especially an emtb is such a particular item and so expensive that I have to find that one person who wants what I'm selling. If I put it to auction with a reserve, I may pay a lot to eBay and not get what the bike is worth. With no reserve, worse case there are no serious bidders and the bike goes cheap. I would rather keep it than let it go dirt cheap. I made that mistake with my last bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles