Extra battery or new bike?

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
How many of you carry an extra battery? 500wh is not enough for me. I just got a new Commencal Race, and while its an awesome bike, I run out of battery on a local high climb before reaching my goal (+4000ft elevation gain). The same thing happened when I rented a 2017 Levo. btw the Commencal blew away the old version of the Levo, especially downhill.

So I'm now tempted to swap/sell the Commencal to get a new Levo with the 700 Wh battery. Either that or carry another Shimano brick on my back to extend the range (which of course would be more than the 700Wh total on the Levo). That doesn't sound very appealing.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
If your current battery holds up to most of your riding desires then stick with that. And get an extra battery for when you want to go further. If it ain’t cutting the mustard, then upgrade the bike.

I got a 2018 Levo and was thinking the same thing. Another battery or new bike.
Currently my battery is good for most my rides, but on occasions I would like to go further. Current 504wh battery now only holds 460wh. I’m going to stick with it for a while sacrificing longer rides.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I carry a spare battery every time I go out, admittedly it's the Focus t.e.c one so isn't overly heavy. Once I'm riding I don't really notice it's there.

Maybe get one of the dedicated ebike backpacks to carry the spare battery.

steve06

Feb 26, 2019
uk
i bought the girl friend the same bike, so if i go on a big ride with the boys i take her battery (500wh) in my back pack, weighs a ton though

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
On one of my longest loops there is a cafe half way round, I drop off my spare battery there on my way back from work the day before, and then I can swap out the battery half way round

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
i bought the girl friend the same bike, so if i go on a big ride with the boys i take her battery (500wh) in my back pack, weights a ton though
I did the same thing and have taken her battery with me a couple of times. (Though the girl friend became my wife many years ago).
A good backpack helps distribute the weight well.
I think that is also the advantage of the external standard older batteries over the new Tube batteries where form exceeds Function. So the bikes look cool, but if you want to take a spare battery with you, then you have an ungainley long heavy tube to try to get in your backpack. The Battery Pack fits in the lower pocket of my Deuter Trans Alp Pro 28 Backpack, so the center of gravity is low, and the semi rigid frame distributes the weight well.

Last edited:

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
On one of my longest loops there is a cafe half way round, I drop off my spare battery there on my way back from work the day before, and then I can swap out the battery half way round

Cafe? I'd take the 4-amp charger and just have a loooong lunch break while I refill the battery. That should give you at least a 25% boost.

I've done a few all-dayers where I've stopped for brunch, lunch and a snack, recharging each time.

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
Is there no way to make a mount and stick it on the bike, swap over when needed?
If you could figure it out you will have
a 1000wats and no brick on your back.
Maybe see if there is a pelican case that could house the battery and be mounted somewhere. If it can't be done then a new bike will be needed. That would be my course of action.

Last edited:

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Is there no way to make a mount and stick it on the bike, swap over when needed?
If you could figure it out you will have
a 1000wats and no brick on your back.
Maybe see if there is a pelican case that could house the battery and be mounted somewhere. If it can't be done then a new bike will be needed. That would be my course of action.

If only Focus bikes had thought of that.:)

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
No cafes to recharge where I ride. Thats a laugh. I'm miles and thousands of feet up from the nearest anything. Its wilderness. So its either levo time or carry a large chunk of lithium with me for the 4000 ft climb. Another benefit of the Levo here in OC is that it is more stealth than the Commencal. And e-bikes are "outlawed" in most areas around here, which was news to me.

If anyone has a 19 levo in OC they just cant stand anymore, or wants to swap for a brand new Meta 29 Race + cash (large frame), lets talk...

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
No cafes to recharge where I ride. Thats a laugh. I'm miles and thousands of feet up from the nearest anything. Its wilderness. So its either levo time or carry a large chunk of lithium with me for the 4000 ft climb. Another benefit of the Levo here in OC is that it is more stealth than the Commencal. And e-bikes are "outlawed" in most areas around here, which was news to me.

If anyone has a 19 levo in OC they just cant stand anymore, or wants to swap for a brand new Meta 29 Race + cash (large frame), lets talk...

Bulls EStream Evo En di2 looks interesting to me with it’s dual-battery system; 375 Wh in each battery.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
What mode are you riding in? 4000ft should be achievable with the Shimano E8000/504Wh combo though you might run out of juice on the way back down depending on distance of the ride

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
What mode are you riding in? 4000ft should be achievable with the Shimano E8000/504Wh combo though you might run out of juice on the way back down depending on distance of the ride
Trial mode mostly, some eco.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Trail mode. Its all uphill without a break for several hours, rough stuff rocks for a lot of it

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles