Pole Voima swing arm CRACKED

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Both swingarms on my 2nd gen Voima crumpled landing a small jump but clearly there must have been cracks growing for a while. The rips in the failed swingarms started exactly where the problem spot is where the lower linkage bolts up.

Pole replaced swingarms and linkages just before they went under. Took about 3 months from warranty request to get the redesigned swingarms.

View attachment 139512

6’4” 235lbs. Guess you could say I’m hard on bikes as this is definitely not my first cracked frame.

Some POV video from our local to give an idea of what kind of riding led to the failure in case that’s helpful:

That fucken sucks. Now you have an expensive wall hanging.

What bike are you going to get next?

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
That fucken sucks. Now you have an expensive wall hanging.

What bike are you going to get next?
So far so good with the redesigned swingarms. Had planned to sell the Voima once they’d arrived and get a Crestline but I think I’d have to pay someone to take the Pole off my hands now that they’re done.

Hoping we’ll see more selection in the long travel ebike market in the next couple years. I’m tall so prefer a 29” rear and a longer chainstay to go with the longer reach. Only a few manufacturers have started offering chainstays that are actually proportional. Right now I think only Crestline ticks all the boxes, but after this experience with a boutique manufacturer I’m a little gun shy.

Curious what the next iteration of the Bullit and Kenevo (non-SL) will look like. They should be landing in the next year or so.

What’s your game plan?

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
So far so good with the redesigned swingarms. Had planned to sell the Voima once they’d arrived and get a Crestline but I think I’d have to pay someone to take the Pole off my hands now that they’re done.

Hoping we’ll see more selection in the long travel ebike market in the next couple years. I’m tall so prefer a 29” rear and a longer chainstay to go with the longer reach. Only a few manufacturers have started offering chainstays that are actually proportional. Right now I think only Crestline ticks all the boxes, but after this experience with a boutique manufacturer I’m a little gun shy.

Curious what the next iteration of the Bullit and Kenevo (non-SL) will look like. They should be landing in the next year or so.

What’s your game plan?
Oh that's better, I thought the broken bits were the new swingarm.

Crestline also. But it's expensive as feck in nz. About the same price as a whole complete voima just for the frame.

I'm about a year put from being able to swap out. Hopefully a Phoenix will rise from the ashes of pole in that time allowing for part replacements and a better resale value.

If the bike goes down in that time I'll be back full time on the mtb until the cash allows for a frame upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rudolf Diesel

May 15, 2023
The Nederlands
Oh that's better, I thought the broken bits were the new swingarm.

Crestline also. But it's expensive as fuck in nz. About the same price as a whole complete voima just for the frame.

I'm about a year put from being able to swap out. Hopefully a Phoenix will rise from the ashes of pole in that time allowing for part replacements and a better resale value.

If the bike goes down in that time I'll be back full time on the mtb until the cash allows for a frame upgrade.
I went crestline as well. get it underway before the pole cracked.
not to many options for long travel emtb's out there.

Durrti

Aug 22, 2021
California
I’ve gone the way of the Orbea Wild, and the lack of travel is made up in spades with the playful nimble way the Wild rides. Don’t miss my 190/190 at all.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I’ve gone the way of the Orbea Wild, and the lack of travel is made up in spades with the playful nimble way the Wild rides. Don’t miss my 190/190 at all.
I still want big travel for my e. Iove the playfulness of my 165/170 mtb. But also love smashing dh chunk on a big travel monster. Sooo much fun.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
I only know 2 people in my local markets that bought Poles (not Voimas). Both broke, one rear end and one was the frame. One broke after about 20 minutes of riding. It's just an inferior method of bicycle production, plain and simply.

Funny thing is that our terrain, while chunky and plenty of janky drops and g-outs, mostly isn't real big.

The Crestline is the best full power e-bike made right now and I'd be curious if they would sell you just the frame, without the Bosch motor, so that those with broken Poles can get something useful from their Voimas that end up 'totaled'.

Really sorry that this happened to you guys/ gals.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I only know 2 people in my local markets that bought Poles (not Voimas). Both broke, one rear end and one was the frame. One broke after about 20 minutes of riding. It's just an inferior method of bicycle production, plain and simply.

Funny thing is that our terrain, while chunky and plenty of janky drops and g-outs, mostly isn't real big.

The Crestline is the best full power e-bike made right now and I'd be curious if they would sell you just the frame, without the Bosch motor, so that those with broken Poles can get something useful from their Voimas that end up 'totaled'.

Really sorry that this happened to you guys/ gals.
It would be nice if I could by a motorless and batteryless Crestline. I doubt troyden would go for it. But maybe if enough people asked he would work a frame bail put package for pole owners than benefited both of Crestline and voima owners.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
It would be nice if I could by a motorless and batteryless Crestline. I doubt troyden would go for it. But maybe if enough people asked he would work a frame bail put package for pole owners than benefited both of Crestline and voima owners.
Unfortunately you wouldn’t be able to use your old Voima battery. Ours are vertical and the Crestline uses a horizontal battery. Also I don’t think you can order it with the swingarm sensor/rotor magnet so derestricting it would be harder to do. I also don’t like how the control unit is on the underside of the top tube and a Kiox display on top. I don’t want or need a Kiox display. I love my Voima and I’m going to keep on riding it until I can’t anymore. Then I’ll consider a new replacement. I’m still hoping they get bought out and can continue producing awesome bikes. Sure there have been some breakage, but all bike companies have had their issues with breakage. They’re unique, they are one of the few that make a long travel, full power Bosch race motor with great geometry that rips up as well as it does down. Having said that, I do like the look of the new Nicolai Saturn 16 MGU. It has the new Pinion MGU and belt drive so it should be virtually maintenance free. The problem for me is it’s only 160/160 travel. Awesome looking bike though. They also sell another model with the Bosch race motor and a regular drivetrain too, but also only 160/160.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles