Zeb Ultimate not hard to compress with HSC fully closed:

Ushtang

Sep 14, 2020
USA
Question for Zeb Ultimate owners, or other Zeb models with high speed compression damping. New owner here, literally just finished installing. I noticed fork isn’t hard to compress twhen HSC is fully closed. It feels almost the same whether fully wound open or closed.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or not.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
HSC is the "ramp-up" damping control before bottom out. The higher the setting the more aggressively the damper will start ramping up. The High-Speed bit is related to the speed at which the fork is being compressed towards bottoming. I doubt you'd notice any change compressing the forks at a standstill. Ride it down a bumpy trail with the HSC in fully open first, then try fully closed. You'll quickly notice the difference.
Here's a link explaining the operation and tuning.

Ushtang

Sep 14, 2020
USA
Thanks for the reply. Wasn’t sure as the 35 Gold I am replacing will be hard to compress when pushing down on the handle bars to compress the fork when HSC is fully closed. I also have another bike with a Lyrik that also behaves like the 35 Gold.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Full disclosure - I'm no suspension guru and I only know what I read and experience :)
Ride it and if it turns out to be awful, shake your fist at the sky and curse to the Gods.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Thanks for the reply. Wasn’t sure as the 35 Gold I am replacing will be hard to compress when pushing down on the handle bars to compress the fork when HSC is fully closed. I also have another bike with a Lyrik that also behaves like the 35 Gold.

I don't think the 35 Gold has hsc adjustment?

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
You may be confusing LSC & HSC. Low speed certainly does create a different feel but as Flatside says on the big drops is where HSC comes into play. You only really get HSC on high end forks

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The type of compression you can apply by hand on the bars is controlled by low speed compression. As the same suggests it controls impacts that compress the fork relatively slowly and affects mostly the top part of the forks stroke. It is designed to deal with trail scenarios like undulating ground or compression into a berm. High Speed Compression deals with more violent hits like landing off a jump or drop off or possibly a "G" out at speed. Typically it is most effective in the second half of the Fork travel and beyond. Both adjustments need rebound to be set appropriately and both are are dependant on the SAG you have set. So it sounds like you have the fork set to be pretty plush. Providing it ramps up enough to deal with the bigger hits without bottoming out all the time, you are fine.

Ushtang

Sep 14, 2020
USA
Guys you’re right. I was confusing the HSC adjustment on the Zeb with LSC on my Rockshox 35 Gold.

On the 35 Gold, when the LSC dial is fully closed, it’s noticeably stiff to compress the fork with my arms.

Turning in LSC all the way in (closes) with the Zeb does not make the fork stiffer to compress by with my arms. Is this normal?

Gman086

May 11, 2021
Portland, OR
The 35 Gold uses the old Motion Control damper which is a port orifice design... you will be able to tell some differences when doing the "parking lot" push down test. Modern high-end forks use a shimmed damper system... you will NOT notice anything when doing the parking lot test so don't go there. RIDE THE BIKE and then make adjustments as necessary.

There is a lot of good info in the mtbr.com suspension forum if you want to learn more... I think a lot of e-bikers are new to the sport so I'm not really seeing any in-depth info on emtbforums FWIW. Also if you really want to unlock the potential of the Zeb, get a Luftkappe... turns a good fork into an amazing fork! I was one of the first to get my hands on one for the Zeb and have a lot of miles on it. That setup never ceases to amaze which is saying a lot for those that know me.

Have FUN!

G MAN

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles