You've got a "Cheap Fork" - Okay... time to upgrade? - Riser bar??

PeterP

Jul 25, 2021
The Netherlands
Hi All,

Last summer, my girlfriend and I were riding in Austria and I noticed her bike had some "wiggle" in the front end of the bike.
I started tighting things up but without any results, walked into some local bikeshops and they said the wiggle was in lower part of the fork.
2 out of 3 shops litterally said "You've got a cheap fork, nothing to do about this." I had a guide with me and he knew the shops pretty good so I trusted their verdict. The fork also felt awfull during rides.

About the bike (hers)
Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 Pro 27,5 - Size 20" (2019) Cube Website
Upgraded the rotors to a larger size, dropper seat etc.

Replacement Fork
Last week, I had the chance to buy a second-handed fork, previous owner mentioned it was used for a year and he sold it for a nice price.
2021 Rhythm E-bike Series 34 FLOAT 29 150 Grip ( FOX ID code "D34y")
I think it's this one: Random shop specs

Will it fit?
Okay, so this is the first time I'm about to change a fork.
(I'm trying to learn as much as possible by doing it myself or by asking a shop if I can look with them). Please bear with me :)

Some measurements;
  • Axle to top of crown
    • SunTour = 54,5 Cm
    • Fox = 56 Cm
  • Stem
    • SunTour = 22cm
    • Fox = 19,5cm
  • Travel
    • Suntour = 140cm
    • Fox = 150cm
  • Wheelsize
    • Suntour = 27,5"
    • Fox 27,5+" / 29"??
PXL-20230331-194152862.jpg

As we bought this bike 2nd handed, the bike had quite a few spacers installed at the stem.
I don't know why TBH, I am still learning how these things affect geometrie and body position.

PXL-20230331-182942409.jpg
PXL-20230331-181752482.jpg

My Question:
  1. If I install this Fox FrontFork, I would expect that the bike geometrie changes in a way. Right?
  2. But, would she notice the difference? She is 1.85, 60 Kilo's and the bike is probably a bit too small for her.
  3. Would she get any negative effect here since we are lowering the handle bars? Or would this be canceled largely by the longer fork?
  4. OR would you say, better to spend money on a larger bike?

Geometrie.JPG

Thank you so much! Hope you can help me out.

Br,
Peter

Last edited:

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Yep, just bang the forks on and see how it rides, will definitely be better than some non-working Suntours!

The extra axle to crown height is only 15mm, albeit the stem/bars will be lower due to the shorter cut stem on the Fox forks.

PeterP

Jul 25, 2021
The Netherlands
Yep, just bang the forks on and see how it rides, will definitely be better than some non-working Suntours!

The extra axle to crown height is only 15mm, albeit the stem/bars will be lower due to the shorter cut stem on the Fox forks.
Thanks for this

140mm going to 150mm I doubt she'd notice any difference. Only really going to lift the front end slightly.
Thanks for this, is there anything that she could notice? Something that we can take into account while biking? Or something she would need to correct for? I don't know haha.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I thought it was a medium, but I dont think so. I can't see the translation from Inches to Sizes like Medium.

@Bummers Since it has 16" 18" 20" and 22" I think/assume it is an L.
I wonder if at 185cm she would be better on an XL frame.

PeterP

Jul 25, 2021
The Netherlands
I wonder if at 185cm she would be better on an XL frame.
Also my thought, I think we'll experiment a bit this season and rent some different bikes/geometrie.

In the meanwhile, I've installed the new fork. Had to go to the local shop for a different end-cap, but no biggie there.
Waiting for the brake caliper adapter, because the one I had didnt fit the 203mm rotors...

PXL_20230401_124941389.jpg

PXL_20230401_124532004.jpg

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire
Thanks for this, is there anything that she could notice? Something that we can take into account while biking? Or something she would need to correct for? I don't know haha.
Slightly more reach and more weight on the hands / front wheel. Not always a bad thing though, see how she finds it.
You can get a high rise bar if the front end feels too low or she's not comfortable.

PeterP

Jul 25, 2021
The Netherlands
In the meanwhile, the fork is fitted. Happy with the result. Hopefully we can ride coming weekend.

Its 27,5+" to 29" fork, but I assume that aint a problem. Bike has 27,5 rims with regular tires.

Thanks everyone for the advice

PXL_20230407_082614734.jpg

PeterP

Jul 25, 2021
The Netherlands
Hi All,

I could use your help once again with regard to this topic.
We're going out for 1,5 week of biking, and I would like to buy a Riser Handlebar just in case it doesn't work out.

currently she has a Newmen Evolution 318.20, 760mm (original) Link , If I am correct, that has a 20mm Rise.
Newman.jpg

I was looking for Renthal Fatbar handlebar, and thought I would need 40mm Rise (20mm more) since the cockpit got lowered at least that amount. Link

M186-AG-1000x1000.jpg

Is this a correct assumption?

(geometrie wise), I think with the adjustment so far, the reach got bigger, therefor the bike would probably feel larger, which could result in more stability. But because the cockpit got lowered, her body position would probably be send a bit forward. She noticed more pressure on her wrists (which is my biggest concern, because she had some problems with them). I think by installing the 40mm riser handlebar, the cockpit will come up a bit higher, which will release a bit of pressure.

Thanks!

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Hi All,

I could use your help once again with regard to this topic.
We're going out for 1,5 week of biking, and I would like to buy a Riser Handlebar just in case it doesn't work out.

currently she has a Newmen Evolution 318.20, 760mm (original) Link , If I am correct, that has a 20mm Rise.
View attachment 112203

I was looking for Renthal Fatbar handlebar, and thought I would need 40mm Rise (20mm more) since the cockpit got lowered at least that amount. Link

View attachment 112202

Is this a correct assumption?

(geometrie wise), I think with the adjustment so far, the reach got bigger, therefor the bike would probably feel larger, which could result in more stability. But because the cockpit got lowered, her body position would probably be send a bit forward. She noticed more pressure on her wrists (which is my biggest concern, because she had some problems with them). I think by installing the 40mm riser handlebar, the cockpit will come up a bit higher, which will release a bit of pressure.

Thanks!
Or you could keep the bar and take a longer adjustable stem with you which is very easy to change. And if you don't need it it's easy to return and get a refund. Something like the "HighFix OS" for 31.8mm bars from BBB cycling who are in Den Haag.

EDIT: but when fitting a longer stem make sure that the cables are long enough!

Last edited:

PeterP

Jul 25, 2021
The Netherlands
Or you could keep the bar and take a longer adjustable stem with you which is very easy to change. And if you don't need it it's easy to return and get a refund. Something like the "HighFix OS" for 31.8mm bars from BBB cycling who are in Den Haag.

EDIT: but when fitting a longer stem make sure that the cables are long enough!

Ah, that's also an interesting option. Seems like that highfix OS stem shoves over my stem? Not sure how that works, and also the handlebars move quite a lot forward. But that could also just be the image.

You have experience with this? @irie

Thanks!

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Ah, that's also an interesting option. Seems like that highfix OS stem shoves over my stem? Not sure how that works, and also the handlebars move quite a lot forward. But that could also just be the image.

You have experience with this? @irie

Thanks!
It fits over the fork steerer in exactly the same way as any other stem, it just replaces the stem you now have the handlebars bolted to. The handlebars are moved higher, and forward to compensate for the fact that the fork steerer is angled backward. There's a hinge which you use to adjust height/reach. I put one on my wife's Trek Rail to get it set up just the way she likes. Hers is made by Ergotec but the BBB HighFix OS stem looks identical.

Edit: just took a pic

20230421_184154.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles