Your opinion on best chain

• Thread starter Deleted member 7464
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7464

Right guys, this ain't so much of a question, more of a poll but what in your opinion is the best ebike chain for shifting and longevity? I'm thinking of using 3 chains so I change a chain after each ride and have the other 2 clean and lubed ready to swap. I did this on my unassisted bike and the drive train has lasted years. Ta in advance

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I can see where you are coming from on your 3-chain policy. It has been promoted and used in a variety of places and it seems to work for those that use it. But I have only seen it work on clockwork bikes with 10-speed or less. (That doesn't mean it's not a valid strategy in other circumstances). On my clockwork bikes, when I used 9 and 10-speed I got about 550 miles out of a chain before it was done. I got 3 chains out of a cassette and it would not run with a 4th new one. I changed the cassette at that point to run with a new chain, so as not to transmit damage to the front rings (2x and 3x at that time)
But with 11 and 12-speed, I'm getting many, many times the life out of one chain, I got 6x the life out of a 1x12-speed on my last clockwork bikes and so far I'm heading for 4x out of my 1x11-speed on my emtb. So I'm wondering if the chain changing hassle is worth it? :unsure:

The chain changing regime was based around switching at half life or a bit less and was reported to work well. I would suggest that changing after every ride is not required. But it's your bike and its your rules! Please report back as I'm sure there are many that would want to know the results. :)

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Right guys, this ain't so much of a question, more of a poll but what in your opinion is the best ebike chain for shifting and longevity? I'm thinking of using 3 chains so I change a chain after each ride and have the other 2 clean and lubed ready to swap. I did this on my unassisted bike and the drive train has lasted years. Ta in advance
Someone else recently posted a link to this chain test in another thread. Based on the results, yesterday I installed a SRAM XX1 11 speed on my ‘19 Levo. It came with a KMC ebike which I’ve replaced once with the same at 1100 miles. 700 more miles of muddy winter riding and it was already at .5%. Per the test results I’m not surprised. Time will tell on the SRAM.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Just use a brand new chain every ride. Have 7 bikes, one for each day of the week, but only ride the black one on Friday.

If you can’t do the above... Ask yourself.., Can I really afford to ride Mtb’s ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
My KMC didn't last very long, I think their life is very "conditions" dependent .. in the right conditions, they last quite well. In shite conditions they wear quickly.

Replaced with :

SRAM NX PC-1110 11 Speed Powerchain | Chain Reaction Cycles

Which is cheap, so you can put a new one on every ride ;) Or at least, not feel bad about buying three.

Shifts CONSIDERABLY nicer than the KMC on an SRAM cassette.

114 links as standard, with fits a 2019 Kenevo Large or Medium Levo - probably a medium and large of both thinking about it ...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles