Yeti Group

saione

Oct 19, 2020
Lerici
Do you accept also italian member from north west part of Italy ? :cool:
I received my new 160 E only a couple of week ago.

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed.jpg

AKAKTM

Apr 23, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
I hope we get some more traction on this thread...or is there somewhere else that's more active for the Yeti 160e?

I've had a 2021 Rail, 2022 Levo, 2019 Levo, 2022 Kenevo SL and just got this 160e. They've all been great bikes with unique strengths and weaknesses. I really liked the Kenevo SL, but wanted more power. The new Levo is hard to beat and expensive.

I built the Yeti two days ago and have one long ride on it. Loving it so far. It's the only bike I've ridden that has a better rear suspension than the Kenevo SL. The Sixfinity design is a winner for sure. I like the chassis, suspension and looks better than the Levo or Rail and like the power and overall design as much as or better than the Kenevo SL. Overall, it's a superb bike (just as Rob promised in his great review).

One place where it noticeably down relative to the G2 or G3 Levo and Rail is the EP8 motor. I love the compact and sleek design of the EP8, but after my ride the other day where I traded with guys on bikes with Bosch and Brose (Specialized), both those motors are as smooth or smoother than the EP8 and have significantly more punch. They accelerate harder and climb, particularly very steep climbs, better than the EP8.

Now I need to decide whether to keep the Levo or 160e. 160 easily wins on looks and suspension design and Levo wins on motor, display and integration. These are first world problems for sure! Both are amazing bikes and should be for what they cost!

Yeti - 2.jpeg
Yeti - 1.jpeg
Levo - 1.jpeg

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
I hope we get some more traction on this thread...or is there somewhere else that's more active for the Yeti 160e?

I've had a 2021 Rail, 2022 Levo, 2019 Levo, 2022 Kenevo SL and just got this 160e. They've all been great bikes with unique strengths and weaknesses. I really liked the Kenevo SL, but wanted more power. The new Levo is hard to beat and expensive.

I built the Yeti two days ago and have one long ride on it. Loving it so far. It's the only bike I've ridden that has a better rear suspension than the Kenevo SL. The Sixfinity design is a winner for sure. I like the chassis, suspension and looks better than the Levo or Rail and like the power and overall design as much as or better than the Kenevo SL. Overall, it's a superb bike (just as Rob promised in his great review).

One place where it noticeably down relative to the G2 or G3 Levo and Rail is the EP8 motor. I love the compact and sleek design of the EP8, but after my ride the other day where I traded with guys on bikes with Bosch and Brose (Specialized), both those motors are as smooth or smoother than the EP8 and have significantly more punch. They accelerate harder and climb, particularly very steep climbs, better than the EP8.

Now I need to decide whether to keep the Levo or 160e. 160 easily wins on looks and suspension design and Levo wins on motor, display and integration. These are first world problems for sure! Both are amazing bikes and should be for what they cost!

View attachment 89398 View attachment 89399 View attachment 89400
I came to the same conclusion on the EP8. After a year on a SC bullet I just switched to a KSL. I already have a gen2 expert Levo that I have had from new for the last 3 years and the EP8 is just not up to the competition.

The bullet was a great bike but not a great ebike due to the EP8, not sure if the yeti falls in to the same camp? I would love one but the EP8 is a non starter after struggling along for a whole year with range and punch issues.

AKAKTM

Apr 23, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
I had a KS Expert and loved it. Range was fine and even better than expected. Motor was a little loud and just could not deal with the power or lack of power when riding with my Levo and Rail buddies. Hope the Yeti works out. I like it and hope the ep8 is better for me. Time will tell.

BDADE0C2-1101-4484-9D11-60305734835D.jpeg

etoni

E*POWAH Elite
Sep 3, 2018
Thun Switzerland

keep the levo for sure! cant understand yeti that they go with ep8. ..🤔

FastFR

Apr 27, 2022
Nyon / Switzerland
Just got my Yeti on Thursday and had my first ride today. Downside: will change the tires on Tuesday and brakes asap. But this bike is just awesome ! Go uphill like crazy and downhill like a missile. My previous bikes were equipped with Brose motor (Levo) and Bosch. This EP8, when modes are properly setup is just great and feel quite similar in the use to the Brose motor. Love this bike

C7C01E08-7280-4B35-91AE-6490938D1562.jpeg

AKAKTM

Apr 23, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
I've ridden the 160e a good deal more since my past post. I'm at about 100 miles and had the chance to take both the Levo Pro and 160e out for a 22 mile ride with about 3000ft of climbing yesterday and thought I'd provide a brief update.

The Yeti chassis and suspension is superb, which was no surprise after seeing @Rob's review and all the other reviews. After riding the Levo, the Yeti has a unique seating position. Seated on the Yeti, you are far more forward on the bike and closer to the front wheel than the Levo. In addition, you are also higher above it since the post is at a 78º angle! It gives the perception of a front end that's not as slack as the levo and it seats you higher in the air above the bike than the Levo. To me, the Levo has a more leisurely and trail bike feel to it. The Yeti has a purposeful and aggressive feel. As with many other Yeti bikes, to make it perform, you need to work at it a bit and the more you put in, the better the Yeti feels. If you are lazy when standing and don't keep the front weighted, the front can easily push. The Levo is easier and more intuitive to ride and allows the rider to be a little lazier and still maintain traction, but when pushed doesn't seem to be as capable or aggressive as the Yeti. Both bikes are plenty comfortable for long rides, but the Levo has a slight edge for long trail rides and still does well when ridden aggressively. The Yeti shines the more you push and I expect would shine even more if I had greater capabilities.

As for motors, the best thing I can say about the Shimano is that it's compact and allows the Yeti to have a much trimmer and leaner profile. I love the small look of the EP8 around the bottom bracket. Otherwise, the EP8 simply does not compare favorably to the Brose or Bosch. If you compare the three motors in a parking lot, all feel fine. Once on the trail, the difference in the Specialized Brose and EP8 are stark. I find the Brose smoother. The Brose also have a broader tolerance for low and high cadence and more input torque. The Brose has a slightly higher speed cut-off (20 vs 18.2 for the EP8) and that makes a for a difference you can feel. When chasing my son on the Levo on rolling trails, I could not keep up no matter how much I tried. Of course my son is in MUCH better shape and he's a better rider so we swapped and he could not keep up with me when I was on the Levo. There's a lot of nuanced differences that would take too much time to explain, but the Brose and Bosch motors are more capable and more fun to me than the EP8.

All of this said, if you are not racing and want the motor in the ebike to get you up the hill to your next descent, the Yeti/EP8 are more than adequate. Battery life isn't bad and the motor has enough power and works well enough. If you ride with moto guys who Turbo up and down and ride ebikes like off-road moto, then the Levo or Rail or bike with a Brose or Bosch will be far more enjoyable. You can do it on the EP8, but you'll work much harder, shift more and have less fun on the climbs and rolling fast sections.

I plan to keep the Yeti and really like it...or even love it. I wish I could have this package including the size of the EP8 with the motor characteristics of the Brose or Bosch in the Yeti package!
Yeti - 1 (1).jpeg

FastFR

Apr 27, 2022
Nyon / Switzerland
Quite interesting to read your feeling.

This morning I went for my second ride with the Yeti with a friend with which I’m riding very often. We are weighing approx the same weight and quite similar technical level. He is riding a Levo with the 700W battery.

I also have to mention that I have setup my EP8 with the following settings that I did found on a different forum from a guy who’s spent a lot of time trying different settings to match his friend’s Bosch motors. Here are my settings:

eco: Nv4 - 42 Nm - Nv2
Trail: Nv6 - 70 Nm - Nv 3
Boost: Nv8 - 85 Nm - Nv4

Our ride was 46.47km (approx 30 miles) and elevation of 1’484m (4’500 feet) With some very steep uphill for which I was obliged to use the mode Turbo with my previous Bosch, but I did not used Boost at all with the EP8, only Éco and Trail, We have climbed faster than usually (I do have a track record of this trail in my Strava so can confirm that fact). The bike is just perfect (exception of the tires and brakes already mentioned) in all situations. i was faster than my friend going up with my EP8 than his Brose, and more surprisingly I entered the last 10% of my battery just 2 minutes before my friend. As a reminder I have a 630w battery Vs my friend’s 700w !?

So, with the right motor settings, I was able to keep the same performances than the Brose, and do quite a similar mileage with a smaller battery.

A55B1F22-66C6-4273-A2AC-7790A4AE5335.jpeg

Reactions: KSL

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK

If you haven't tried it yet try putting the Yeti Motor onto profile 2 a lot more punchy than profile 1. Coming from TL G2 I much prefer the Yeti for power and delivery TBH.

shakeystart

Jun 23, 2020
1617daY
I've ridden the 160e a good deal more since my past post. I'm at about 100 miles and had the chance to take both the Levo Pro and 160e out for a 22 mile ride with about 3000ft of climbing yesterday and thought I'd provide a brief update.

The Yeti chassis and suspension is superb, which was no surprise after seeing @Rob's review and all the other reviews. After riding the Levo, the Yeti has a unique seating position. Seated on the Yeti, you are far more forward on the bike and closer to the front wheel than the Levo. In addition, you are also higher above it since the post is at a 78º angle! It gives the perception of a front end that's not as slack as the levo and it seats you higher in the air above the bike than the Levo. To me, the Levo has a more leisurely and trail bike feel to it. The Yeti has a purposeful and aggressive feel. As with many other Yeti bikes, to make it perform, you need to work at it a bit and the more you put in, the better the Yeti feels. If you are lazy when standing and don't keep the front weighted, the front can easily push. The Levo is easier and more intuitive to ride and allows the rider to be a little lazier and still maintain traction, but when pushed doesn't seem to be as capable or aggressive as the Yeti. Both bikes are plenty comfortable for long rides, but the Levo has a slight edge for long trail rides and still does well when ridden aggressively. The Yeti shines the more you push and I expect would shine even more if I had greater capabilities.

As for motors, the best thing I can say about the Shimano is that it's compact and allows the Yeti to have a much trimmer and leaner profile. I love the small look of the EP8 around the bottom bracket. Otherwise, the EP8 simply does not compare favorably to the Brose or Bosch. If you compare the three motors in a parking lot, all feel fine. Once on the trail, the difference in the Specialized Brose and EP8 are stark. I find the Brose smoother. The Brose also have a broader tolerance for low and high cadence and more input torque. The Brose has a slightly higher speed cut-off (20 vs 18.2 for the EP8) and that makes a for a difference you can feel. When chasing my son on the Levo on rolling trails, I could not keep up no matter how much I tried. Of course my son is in MUCH better shape and he's a better rider so we swapped and he could not keep up with me when I was on the Levo. There's a lot of nuanced differences that would take too much time to explain, but the Brose and Bosch motors are more capable and more fun to me than the EP8.

All of this said, if you are not racing and want the motor in the ebike to get you up the hill to your next descent, the Yeti/EP8 are more than adequate. Battery life isn't bad and the motor has enough power and works well enough. If you ride with moto guys who Turbo up and down and ride ebikes like off-road moto, then the Levo or Rail or bike with a Brose or Bosch will be far more enjoyable. You can do it on the EP8, but you'll work much harder, shift more and have less fun on the climbs and rolling fast sections.

I plan to keep the Yeti and really like it...or even love it. I wish I could have this package including the size of the EP8 with the motor characteristics of the Brose or Bosch in the Yeti package!
View attachment 89686

This morning I went for my second ride with the Yeti with a friend with which I’m riding very often. We are weighing approx the same weight and quite similar technical level. He is riding a Levo with the 700W battery.

I also have to mention that I have setup my EP8 with the following settings that I did found on a different forum from a guy who’s spent a lot of time trying different settings to match his friend’s Bosch motors. Here are my settings:

Our ride was 46.47km (approx 30 miles) and elevation of 1’484m (4’500 feet) With some very steep uphill for which I was obliged to use the mode Turbo with my previous Bosch, but I did not used Boost at all with the EP8, only Éco and Trail, We have climbed faster than usually (I do have a track record of this trail in my Strava so can confirm that fact). The bike is just perfect (exception of the tires and brakes already mentioned) in all situations. i was faster than my friend going up with my EP8 than his Brose, and more surprisingly I entered the last 10% of my battery just 2 minutes before my friend. As a reminder I have a 630w battery Vs my friend’s 700w !?

So, with the right motor settings, I was able to keep the same performances than the Brose, and do quite a similar mileage with a smaller battery
View attachment 89687

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
I had a KS Expert and loved it. Range was fine and even better than expected. Motor was a little loud and just could not deal with the power or lack of power when riding with my Levo and Rail buddies. Hope the Yeti works out. I like it and hope the ep8 is better for me. Time will tell.

View attachment 89404

@AKAKTM

So I currently have this bike - Turbo Expert Kenevo SL and it's been good, but I'm a Yeti guy (my SB130LR feels great!). That said, my local shop has an 160E and I took it for a ride in the parking lot and it fit like a glove (remember I'm a Yeti fan), but would like to get your perspective comparing the Turbo KSL to the 160E? Yes, there's a weight penalty, but I was surprised how easy it was to loft the front end of the 160E (in the lot). It felt great, but without riding it on real trails, I'm trying to get a sense of how it stacks up withe KSL?

To me, the KSL has plenty of power to climb so I'm assuming the extra power of the 160E will feel like turbo mode on steroids. How about the handling of the two? I find with the KSL, if the seat is up, I always feel high on the bike heading into the twisties until I get the seat down, which it true of most bike I suppose, but the transition always seems a bit awkward on the KSL. What's your take? Also, the KSL rides like a planted bobsled downhill, but how does the 160E compare? Anything else?

I ride dusty Socal trails by the way, with a mix of everything, including 25% grades.

Look foward to your reply.

Thx

shakeystart

Jun 23, 2020
1617daY
@AKAKTM

So I currently have this bike - Turbo Expert Kenevo SL and it's been good, but I'm a Yeti guy (my SB130LR feels great!). That said, my local shop has an 160E and I took it for a ride in the parking lot and it fit like a glove (remember I'm a Yeti fan), but would like to get your perspective comparing the Turbo KSL to the 160E? Yes, there's a weight penalty, but I was surprised how easy it was to loft the front end of the 160E (in the lot). It felt great, but without riding it on real trails, I'm trying to get a sense of how it stacks up withe KSL?

To me, the KSL has plenty of power to climb so I'm assuming the extra power of the 160E will feel like turbo mode on steroids. How about the handling of the two? I find with the KSL, if the seat is up, I always feel high on the bike heading into the twisties until I get the seat down, which it true of most bike I suppose, but the transition always seems a bit awkward on the KSL. What's your take? Also, the KSL rides like a planted bobsled downhill, but how does the 160E compare? Anything else?

I ride dusty Socal trails by the way, with a mix of everything, including 25% grades.

Thx

Good place to be...can’t really go wrong. I have a large LSL and just got the Med 160E. Not extensive riding yet, but I will be selling the LSL.

AKAKTM

Apr 23, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
@KSL

Like you, I've had a KSL Expert and now this 160e (I also have a SB130LR and a Levo). In my opinion, if you like your KSL, you'll love the 160e. The 160 feels a little heavier and feels a little more robust, but it's still fun and 'poppy' if you take the time to set up the suspension well. It's important to note that I had an S4 Enduro a while back and an S3 KSL and both worked well, but with the 160, I had to have a Large. I demoed a Medium and it was too short in the cockpit. Funny you mention feeling of feeling high on or high above the bike in the seated position! Yes, the on the 160, due to the aggressively steep seat tube angle, you feel way up there. I notice it after riding the Levo and jumping over to the 160. It takes me a few minutes to get used to the 160 and then I don't notice it any more. Once you drop the saddle and turn downhill, the 160 is incredible and it's comfortable enough for riding around as a trail bike.

Obviously the power and climbing ability of the 160 is far better than the KSL. There's no comparison. As Rob says on this site, there just isn't a bike better going downhill than the 160 and I agree with you that the KSL is superb going down. I only sold my KSL because I ride with a good number of ex-moto riders on full power Levos and Rails and ride them fast in Turbo most of the time and in that situation, the KSL cannot keep up even when I run it in Turbo and put in my max effort.

I am also in SoCal (around Santa Clarita). You are welcome to take a look at my 160. As I mentioned, I have both that and a Levo and it's time to sell one of them. I have the Yeti for sale with 110 miles on it or I'd sell the Levo. Both are in showroom condition. Text me if you'd like to catch up or are interested in either bike. (nine zero 0ne) 4 0 nine - four 4 nine 8.

@AKAKTM

Thx

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Good place to be...can’t really go wrong. I have a large LSL and just got the Med 160E. Not extensive riding yet, but I will be selling the LSL.

Thanks for replying. Good stuff, but you just made it more difficult for me. :p How do I tell my wife I bought yet another bike!

I do moto as well, but never found the need to ride in turbo mode all the time like your buddies. I like using assistance only when needed, but do understand them wanting to "moto" along in turbo mode as it more emulates moto speed and flow. No question here, but I like to workout too!

I'm too far south of you - San Diego, but would have connected with you for sure. Thanks again for posting - very helpful. The 130LR is still a great bike!

Last edited:

AKAKTM

Apr 23, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Cool. Is that a 350SX or XCF? Looks like a 19 rear so SX I guess.
Sell the KSL like I did. Keep the 130LR. Get a Yeti 160! I get to San Diego often. I have a few friends who started medical companies there. I’m 2-3 hours north.
If you get interested in a 160 reach out to me. I’ll make you a deal. I have way too many bikes and motos! One needs to go. Tony

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I came to the same conclusion on the EP8. After a year on a SC bullet I just switched to a KSL. I already have a gen2 expert Levo that I have had from new for the last 3 years and the EP8 is just not up to the competition.

The bullet was a great bike but not a great ebike due to the EP8, not sure if the yeti falls in to the same camp? I would love one but the EP8 is a non starter after struggling along for a whole year with range and punch issues.

to be honest I agree
I would love a yeti if it didn’t have a ep8 In it

Chiefworm

Dec 27, 2021
United Kingdom

So, with the right motor settings, I was able to keep the same performances than the Brose, and do quite a similar mileage with a smaller battery.

View attachment 89687
Hi FastFR, just looking to try these motor settings on my new Heckler. Does the Nv mentioned mean LV on the app? Cheers

T6yeti

Jul 2, 2022
Ireland
New to the forum I’ve just come off a heckler 2019 with the goal to buy a Bosch driven bike after having a go on one, found it extremely difficult to find a bike I loved ! Took a chance on the yeti, e160 as I thought the trade-off was well worth it for the handling of the bike, even though it had a ep8 after riding it now for a few months I have zero regrets what an amazing bike I have been biking since the 90s . Having more fun and this one just keeps pushing me forward enjoying up hill technical as much as downhill technical however, I did change the region on the bike to US which has made a massive difference did not want to chip it. If you’re looking for the best handling ebike yeti is it I think!

9EB88024-3E81-43E3-901E-66763B240998.jpeg 29A59389-A37E-418B-A993-903B5DE6C01F.jpeg 47793314-B3CC-41B7-B4D8-C9D8F08F8995.jpeg D9D42FA7-2571-41A5-AC75-58112C9105FB.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles