Yamaha PW Upgraded Chainring

SteveS

Aug 5, 2018
Colorado
In my first few months of ownership of my 2017 Sduro FullNine 6.5, I have managed to break a couple of teeth on the front crankset, especially the large chainring. I am going to take the bike back to my dealer to get a full tune up, brake bleed, and have the chainrings replaced, but I'm hesitant to replace with the factory rings - they seem a bit cheap. On that note, looking at the rear cogs I see teeth with different profiles, but I'm not sure if that's a result of wear or an engineered design. My main concern is those forward chainrings: They just don't inspire any confidence that they'll continue to hold the torque applied by my 243 lb (110 kilo) body, especially when standing. Any advice on upgrades to the drivetrain?

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Different teeth profiles on the cassette is normal.

Some upgrade to a larger chainring because the load is distributed on more teeth.
I don't know anything about the best brands or what constitute a good chainring.

I have a new factory-like fsa chainring ready to be swapped with the original when it's cooked but so far mine is alright, 4-5 months in. I only have one 38 chainring.
I had to replace the cassette tho, I used the smallest cogs too much and too hard on the highest setting.

Do you often change gears under load? Ever checked if your chain is stretched?

Hope that someone with more knowledge reply to this thread!

SteveS

Aug 5, 2018
Colorado
Different teeth profiles on the cassette is normal.

Some upgrade to a larger chainring because the load is distributed on more teeth.
I don't know anything about the best brands or what constitute a good chainring.

I have a new factory-like fsa chainring ready to be swapped with the original when it's cooked but so far mine is alright, 4-5 months in. I only have one 38 chainring.
I had to replace the cassette tho, I used the smallest cogs too much and too hard on the highest setting.

Do you often change gears under load? Ever checked if your chain is stretched?

Hope that someone with more knowledge reply to this thread!

Thanks for the notes! I think the problem initiated when I did change gears (up) in the rear under a moderate load- the rear XT derailleur was in the “off” position and I think that caused the chain to misalign to the point where I slipped the chain off the chainring. Since then it’s been acting up. There’s just a lot of slop (noise when pedaling hard, motor engagement seems to have a ‘clicking’ when transitioning from coast to pedal) in general around the crank and chainrings, so maybe it’s a deeper problem.

My service appointment is next week, so I’ll report back with their findings.

SteveS

Aug 5, 2018
Colorado
Got the bike back. The chainring was not damaged enough to warrant replacement, however the motor mounts were discovered to be loose and slopping. The tech removed and retorqued the bolts. A quick test ride and everything felt firm again, so I think the next step is taking it to the trails and giving it a beating!

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Great news I'll keep the loose motor mounts in mind if that clicking noise happens to me.
So your chainring wasn't missing some teeth after all?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles