Yamaha 2018 PWX Walk Mode Disabled in US

John Locke

May 14, 2018
Yorba Linda, CA
I'd like to have walk mode enabled on my Xduro AllMtn 6.0 Haibike. I'm wondering if stock European bikes with Yamaha PWX motor enable "walk mode"? If yes, maybe US dealers have the ability to enable walk mode.

It's odd the walk mode button on the Yamaha 2018 PWX motor is disabled on bikes sold in the US. Haibike or Yamaha disables it, claiming it's a US regulation issue. However Bosch motors on Haibikes sold in the US have walk mode enabled. It's really strange that Yamaha disables it, but Bosch doesn't, both coming from the same Haibike manufacturer.

Has anyone in the US been able to hack the Yamaha system to enable walk mode? Sometimes this would be really handy to have a walk mode option, given the weight of the bike and the gnarly environments we ride in California. Having to walk the bike in tight uphill sections through brush and trees would be nice to have a helping hand, from the motor. The walk mode button is there, and discussed in the manual, but no worky.

Last edited:

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
I find it ridiculous that walk mode gets disabled.
I just bought a 2019 Giant Fathom E+ and walk mode is enabled. It has the Yamaha Sport motor. I live in Canada.
What is the reasoning behind disabling it?

John Locke

May 14, 2018
Yorba Linda, CA
What's even more weird is the same Haibike with a Bosch motor has walk mode enabled. Keep in mind it's a completely different display and electronics. Why do you think Bosch enables it and Haibike disables it? This doesn't seem to be a regulatory issue (like they claim) as much as a feature that's potentially broke, or a feature Yamaha can't figure out after committing to the button on the thumb control. Explainable.

Hai Volume

Jul 9, 2018
USA
What's even more weird is the same Haibike with a Bosch motor has walk mode enabled. Keep in mind it's a completely different display and electronics. Why do you think Bosch enables it and Haibike disables it? This doesn't seem to be a regulatory issue (like they claim) as much as a feature that's potentially broke, or a feature Yamaha can't figure out after committing to the button on the thumb control. Explainable.

I've heard/read that the UL, which certifies e-bikes for sale in the US, will not allow walk-assist to be activated because it is considered another "power mode", and apparently e-bikes can only have 5 power modes, which the Yamaha bikes already have with ECO+, ECO, STD, HIGH, and X-PWR. I'm not 100% certain that this is accurate, but it would logically explain why it's disabled in the US (even though that rule is ridiculous).

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
I came to the end of a trail the other day, and the best way out was up a 30' embankment to a road above.
It was very steep and rough indeed, and walk mode helped immensely. My first real world use of it. Excellent!

John Locke

May 14, 2018
Yorba Linda, CA
If the disabling of walk mode is really related to the number of power modes, it would be wise for Haibike to have only 4 pedal assist modes and enable the walk mode, not because walk mode is used much, but because there's a physical button for it and it makes them look really lame, as if it's broke. 5 pedal assist modes is too many anyway IMO. They need a new firmware release with this option.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles