Yak 25 (25mm) - Schürmann Yak25

RickDale

Aug 24, 2023
Queeny, Bradford
Hello, my EMBT came with 27.5 x 2.3 Ranger tyres on Schürmann Yak25 rims. I've not had the tyre off yet but according to the spec this is a 25mm rim . After 1100 miles the back tyre is almost bald. I've been looking at wider tyres and picked out Michelin E-Wild MBT 27.5 tyres. These come in 2.6 or 2.8 width. Anybody out there running 2.6 or 2.8 tyres on 25mm rims?

Thanks

Rick

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@RickDale Try this tyre and rim width guide from WTB.

Tire & Rim Fit Chart

Page down to the second chart for MTB tyres
Rim widths across the top, tyre width down the side (both in mm)
Black square indicates Optimal, black dot indicates Compatible, grey square not recommended.

25mm internal rim width has Optimal tyres from 47mm - 60mm (1.85" - 2.36")
Compatible ones up to 70mm wide (2.76")

Therefore 2.6" and 2.8" tyres are in the Compatible category. The widest tyre you would get away with in the Optimal category is 2.4" (who cares about the extra 0.04").

If you corner hard, then you may find the larger tyres you want to fit will wallow in the corners. They may even come off the rim! You may have to increase the tyre pressure firmer than you would like to offset the likelihood of that happening.

Personally, I would stick with 2.4" and ride with absolute confidence that low pressure tyres are not going to come off the rim. If you consider yourself an aggressive rider, I would definitely not fit the 2.8".

It's a while ago now, but the only time I have fitted tyres larger than recommended was a 2.4" on a 19mm internal rim width. From the chart you can see that combo is just inside the "Compatible" area. On my first hard corner, the tyre collapsed on the rim, I went down and the big guy behind me ran me over. The tyre had stayed on the rim, but it had burped a bit and had lost pressure.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles