World's toughest derailleur?

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Very interesting design, I like it when things are examined from a design perspective.

What I hate those is the language used
"The unreliability of derailleurs" Er.... those things that have hardly changed for the last 50 years, which itself is a sign of a proper design, one that has stood the test of time.
The vid then talks about drag factors when in use while at the same time showing the rider freewheeling downhill and not turning the pedals. That to me seems a bit disjointed.
Next thing I question is the upper..is that a jockey wheel or a chainring ?, either way its the ring that has a hell of a lot of the main driving forces on it and that it seems to me look a little floppy to be able to stand up to years of use.

The presentation vid is 4:30 mins long, most of that is of him riding a trail. One thing is clear though int he vid which is the way the chain bounces all over the place, I mean its rattling about and that is something that was addressed by the addition of a clutch, so rather than keep the chain from bouncing about, this design has it acting crazily, I dont see that staying on rings without the need for redesigns and the later edition of keepers etc.

He also talks about changes to the frame itself, which I dont see manufacturers going for. I like the placement of it tucked inside the frame but I think this is more of a concept set up than anything thats going to replace Sram or Shimano any time in the future.

Dont get me wrong, new design is always interesting,I love the creativity of us Humans, but I think this is just a step too far.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles