Who's had COVID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I'm rolling into my second week with the virus and it's spread through my household With wife and 8 year old daughter getting it soon after. Only my 4 year old boy is holding strong right now. I had my second jab in June, I most certainly brought this home from work ( I work in a High School). Its become rife since going back in September with pupils not having to wear masks any more. Three weeks in and the inevitable has happened to me. It's strange that here in Wales I work in a school with 2500 pupils all mingling without masks but if I stroll out of the school gates I need a mask on in every other indoor space in the country.

Anyone else had the virus, and did it linger? I've lost all taste and smell, and after an initial feverish period I now just feel weak, clammy and rundown, with a raw chest.
Im just hoping it doesn't linger too long.

Last edited:

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I think I had it early March last year but it was pre testing & since I'm vaxxed up I have no way of knowing. All I know is it was the worst I've ever felt. Had the flu a couple of times but this was on another level. Hot, cold, weak, coughing for weeks. Can't say it was fun.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Sorry to hear you're going through that @apac. What a serious bummer to get the vaccine and still get sick regardless. :(

I had *something* really bad last March just like RustyMTB describes - I caught whatever it was when I was working in a tiny conference room with a sick colleague trying to meet a deadline. Worst fever I had since I was a child, though it broke in one day. The cough lasted for close to a month. At the time there were no tests available to the general public. I was able to ride my bike just fine after the fever broke, so no shortness of breath or anything like that.

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Hope you all get better soon. Managed to avoid it so far, which is good as we both have health issues. The rest of the family is not so lucky though. My nephews brought it home from their school, so going through their family this week. Other sister had the same. Have another sister who's a teacher, only a matter of time I reckon. Minimal protection in schools seems nuts to me.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My elder daughter and her partner got it last year, both in their 40's. He said it was like a bad hangover and didn't last long. She said it was like a bad flu. Neither had any long Covid or other after-effects. This year my younger daughter got all the symptoms, but repeated tests said it was not Covid. Nobody in my village in Lincolnshire, nor anyone else I know has had it. My wife and I feel very lucky.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
All the best and heal fast @apac - the kids need you more than ever and thanks for what you do!
@apac have you seen the symptoms have changed since last year? Not widely reported by government, but you can read it here from the authoritative ZOE Symptom Study App Do I have COVID or a cold? How to tell the difference
I’m certain I had it March ‘20. No testing then, so can’t be certain. My Dad (94yr) and in a care home had it last July (test +ve and was fine (?+?).
Mine was like a bad cold with headaches and really obvious loss of smell and taste which seemed odd until it started being reported. Rough for about 7 days and didn’t ride for 2 weeks, then fine. My wife says she didn’t get it. But I recon she must have as she had one day feeling a ‘bit off’ about a week after me starting. Vaccinated now etc.
GP rang with my date for the Flu jab yesterday, so that’s booked in next week ?

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Cheers for the replies, it's obviously a myth that once you're vaccinated you are covered. All I can say is, god knows what it must be like without antibodies fighting on your behalf. It started like I had a hangover, and then I thought I was just getting a cold and a raw chest. I did a lateral flow test and it was negative. Next day did another and it was positive. PCRtest confirmed. Same with my wife and daughter, both had negative flow and PCR tests after my result and then retested two days later and both positive. It seems to me that as long as the NHS isn't overwhelmed and most people are vaxed then the government and health boards want it to spread around so everyone gets it so we have some natural immunity to it. Which I suppose has got to be a good thing in the long run.

Last edited:

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
All the best and heal fast @apac - the kids need you more than ever and thanks for what you do!
@apac have you seen the symptoms have changed since last year? Not widely reported by government, but you can read it here from the authoritative ZOE Symptom Study App Do I have COVID or a cold? How to tell the difference
I’m certain I had it March ‘20. No testing then, so can’t be certain. My Dad (94yr) and in a care home had it last July (test +ve and was fine (?+?).
Mine was like a bad cold with headaches and really obvious loss of smell and taste which seemed odd until it started being reported. Rough for about 7 days and didn’t ride for 2 weeks, then fine. My wife says she didn’t get it. But I recon she must have as she had one day feeling a ‘bit off’ about a week after me starting. Vaccinated now etc.
GP rang with my date for the Flu jab yesterday, so that’s booked in next week ?

started like a was getting a cold and maybe raw chest. Coughed just a little but not persistent. Then got a bit of a fever with shivering and sweats and with headache for about 3 days which have now gone. A little achy, but mainly feel now like I'm weak and I get the sweats if I do anything at all strenuous. It's not killer bad.... like man flu at present.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Hope you’re feeling better soon pal. And the family are ok ??

Had it in December. No loss of smell or taste. Just flu / hangover like symptoms for about 5 days….

Ached real bad, super tired and fever etc. Slept loads.

Felt bit knackered for couple weeks after but then fine.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Hope you’re feeling better soon pal. And the family are ok ??

Had it in December. No loss of smell or taste. Just flu / hangover like symptoms for about 5 days….

Ached real bad, super tired and fever etc. Slept loads.

Felt bit knackered for couple weeks after but then fine.
Yep, sounds familiar, been sleeping loads this week.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Only 1 person in my extended family has caught it and that was likely due to an ill advised attendance at a group watch of a footy match on a big screen in an office somewhere. My son's family with 3 boys all at school has avoided it so far as well. Outside of my family I dont know of anyone that has caught the virus, so maybe we are all lucky, although we all live in the West Country where the infection rate is low, or was until we were invaded with groccles this summer!

I am not sure the vaccines were ever touted as providing 100% protection but they have been effective at reducing hospitilisations and deaths. Personally I continue to take the same safeguards as when this pandemic started avoiding crowded indoor venues where possible etc.....but then I am retired/old, so lucky not to have to do anything or go anywhere I dont want! I will not be dropping my guard until at least next spring when I hope this virus will have run its course.

Sorry to hear about those that have contracted the virus and suffered and I hope you all fully recover very soon............. although pleased to hear none of the above needed to go to hospital.

Since the only protection we have ( apart from social distancing) is our own immune system (further suppported by the vaccines) I also ensure I do all I can to reinforce it. For me that consists of avoiding stress, keeping fit, a good diet, and daily supplement of Vitamin D.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
...............................Since the only protection we have ( apart from social distancing) is our own immune system (further suppported by the vaccines) I also ensure I do all I can to reinforce it. For me that consists of avoiding stress, keeping fit, a good diet, and daily supplement of Vitamin D.
I do all of that plus daily vitamin C and also Zinc. Plus daily alcohol of course to kill any bugs before bed. :)

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I contracted it just prior to Christmas last year ( got the result Christmas Day )..which meant a massive reorganising of the day ..supposed to be at my partners sisters for our dinner ..
I dodged a bullet and only got mild symptoms ..but it felled my missus when unfortunately she tested positive a few days later ..lasted a good couple of months for her ..
Hope things improve soon for you and the family Apac ..

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Cheers for the replies, it's obviously a myth that once you're vaccinated you are covered. All I can say is, god knows what it must be like without antibodies fighting on your behalf. It started like I had a hangover, and then I thought I was just getting a cold and a raw chest. I did a lateral flow test and it was negative. Next day did another and it was positive. PCRtest confirmed. Same with my wife and daughter, both had negative flow and PCR tests after my result and then retested two days later and both positive. It seems to me that as long as the NHS isn't overwhelmed and most people are vaxed then the government and health boards want it to spread around so everyone gets it so we have some natural immunity to it. Which I suppose has got to be a good thing in the long run.

Just out of interest (read: nosiness ?), did you get any reaction to your two jabs when you had them?

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Just out of interest (read: nosiness ?), did you get any reaction to your two jabs when you had them?

only mild after a few days of the first jab. I had the AZ vaccine. Felt a little run down. My wife had the same vaccine and had flu like shivers for 24 hours. We are both currently unwell with similar symptoms. Although my daughter has a positive result she seems full of beans. She had a slight cough for a day or two. My son has had a chesty cough but so far has been negative.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
did you get any reaction to your two jabs when you had them?
Do you wonder if effectiveness may relate to reaction ?

Like Le Hodge, first jab (Pfizer), arm was a bit numb. But then had 5 night of sweating and 5 days of getting really hot really quickly doing anything physical.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I did some reading around vaccine side effects, introducing a virus to the body stimulates the immune system into producing antibodies as we all know but the thing I found out is everyone's reaction is different & it's not possible to read anything much into them.

My medical qualifications: I can change a dropper cable in under thirty minutes.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Do you wonder if effectiveness may relate to reaction ?

Like Le Hodge, first jab (Pfizer), arm was a bit numb. But then had 5 night of sweating and 5 days of getting really hot really quickly doing anything physical.

Often wondered just that. I had zero response to my first Pfizer jab and then was a right mess for 3 days after having the second. My wife's reactions were the exact opposite.

I did some reading around vaccine side effects, introducing a virus to the body stimulates the immune system into producing antibodies as we all know but the thing I found out is everyone's reaction is different & it's not possible to read anything much into them.

My medical qualifications: I can change a dropper cable in under thirty minutes.

Same as my qualifications, then... (although it usually takes me two goes to get the dropper post to function) :ROFLMAO:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
only mild after a few days of the first jab. I had the AV vaccine. Felt a little run down. My wife had the same vaccine and had flu like shivers for 24 hours. We are both currently unwell with similar symptoms. Although my daughter has a positive result she seems full of beans. She had a slight cough for a day or two. My son has had a chesty cough but so far has been negative.

Sounds truly awful. I wish you all a full and rapid recovery.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
My wife had an "unidentified viral infection" back in December '19 which displayed all the symptoms of covid. She had adverse reactions to both vaccinations (AZ) which is an indicator that she's had covid according to her doctor. As far as I know, I haven't had covid and I had no adverse reactions to the Pfizer vaccine.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Just out of interest (read: nosiness ), did you get any reaction to your two jabs when you had them?

My first jab of AZ, I felt a little weaker that day, I had one small glass of wine in the eve and I got very drunk(?) the next day hangover, and all good again.
My second AZ jab, I have not noticed anything that day, no C2H5OH that eve and no residual effects

millemille

Feb 21, 2020
Peak District
My wife, a care home worker, caught it late March last year, most likely when she was taken in to A&E with a suspected bleed on the brain. There was no quarantining, separation, PPE etc in evidence in the hospital at the time. I was down in Plymouth with work and she, at home in the Peak District, rang me saying she couldn't breathe and had a cough.

I set an all time record getting back in time to pick up a load of food shopping from a decimated supermarket and then we, and the whole country, went into lockdown. My wife had it pretty bad - but she is an asthmatic - and we had ambulances to the house twice during the 9 weeks she was off work. The ambulance crews were fantastic and were adamant she wasn't going in to hospital because as far as they were concerned that was where you went if you were going to die...

So oxygen administered at home, several courses of steroids and precautionary asthma meds and antibiotics and she was well enough to go back to work after 9 weeks.

However, "long covid" has been something else for her. Absolutely broken after any physical activity, sleeping when she wasn't at work, chronic shortness of breath that wasn't due to her asthma. To their credit the NHS, from GP to consultants, have been fantastic and have left no stone unturned up to and including lung profusion testing in the nuclear medicine department at the local hospital.

It appears that covid has damaged her heart, enlarging the aortic root, and that is why she struggles to breath and becomes light headed during exercise.

The good news is she has made slow and steady progress in her recovery and is nearly back to where she was before she was infected.

I had it late February/early March this year. Starting feeling a bit run down, coughing and running a temperature, on a Sunday afternoon. Tested positive the following day. Had 48 hrs of feeling like shit and then 8 days of boredom, working from home, and then a couple of weeks of fatigue.

I know about 20 people who've had it and their experience has ranged from not knowing they had it and being found during random background testing to within 72 hours of testing positive dying in ICU (and that person was a similar age, 50 ish, to me and was fit and healthy with no pre-existing comorbidities)....

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had two Pfizer jabs with only a sore arm after the first jab, but that was because the guy was so busy joking about it all that he tore my skin and caused bruising. Zero after effects of any other kind. My wife and daughters both had the AZ and all three had 24 hours of shivers and my wife had what she calls "creeping skin" I still have no idea what that is, but she gets it at least once per year.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
My wife, a care home worker, caught it late March last year, most likely when she was taken in to A&E with a suspected bleed on the brain. There was no quarantining, separation, PPE etc in evidence in the hospital at the time. I was down in Plymouth with work and she, at home in the Peak District, rang me saying she couldn't breathe and had a cough.

I set an all time record getting back in time to pick up a load of food shopping from a decimated supermarket and then we, and the whole country, went into lockdown. My wife had it pretty bad - but she is an asthmatic - and we had ambulances to the house twice during the 9 weeks she was off work. The ambulance crews were fantastic and were adamant she wasn't going in to hospital because as far as they were concerned that was where you went if you were going to die...

So oxygen administered at home, several courses of steroids and precautionary asthma meds and antibiotics and she was well enough to go back to work after 9 weeks.

However, "long covid" has been something else for her. Absolutely broken after any physical activity, sleeping when she wasn't at work, chronic shortness of breath that wasn't due to her asthma. To their credit the NHS, from GP to consultants, have been fantastic and have left no stone unturned up to and including lung profusion testing in the nuclear medicine department at the local hospital.

It appears that covid has damaged her heart, enlarging the aortic root, and that is why she struggles to breath and becomes light headed during exercise.

The good news is she has made slow and steady progress in her recovery and is nearly back to where she was before she was infected.

I had it late February/early March this year. Starting feeling a bit run down, coughing and running a temperature, on a Sunday afternoon. Tested positive the following day. Had 48 hrs of feeling like shit and then 8 days of boredom, working from home, and then a couple of weeks of fatigue.

I know about 20 people who've had it and their experience has ranged from not knowing they had it and being found during random background testing to within 72 hours of testing positive dying in ICU (and that person was a similar age, 50 ish, to me and was fit and healthy with no pre-existing comorbidities)....

jesus, that's quite heavy. fatigued is exactly where I'm at right now. I hope it passes over the next week or two. I've done a few circuits around the block today. First time I've left the house since getting unwell.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
2 AZ jabs...no reaction from either. My wife had a sore arm for a couple of days but nothing else. I have no idea whether having no reaction to the jabs is a good or bad thing!!

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.

You all deserve some better times after all that savage 18 months…. Wishing your family well ?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
jesus, that's quite heavy. fatigued is exactly where I'm at right now. I hope it passes over the next week or two. I've done a few circuits around the block today. First time I've left the house since getting unwell.
How you feeling now matey, hope you and family are getting through things okay!

Im on day 8, not vaxd, don’t believe that makes a difference either way, plenty are very ill whatever decisions their making, I just hope everyone gets through it okay as it’s the most cowardly virus ive stumbled across so far!

Day 1 was just feeling man flu, I wanted to go night riding but had to say no!

Day 2 in bed until 3pm, zonked! Still even slept at night even though I was an absolute sweaty mess!

Day 3-4 tons of aches and pains, it hunts the weak areas like slipped discs or injuries and sets them ablaze as though they just happened!

Day 5 smell went, thats when I realised it was covid!!

Day 6 chronic back pain again

Day 7-8 back pain and general unwel feeling, best way I can describe is feeling like you have high blood pressure a lot

Ive started taking ivermectin and a battery of vitimins etc, I have some doxycycline should the lungs go south but getting any help of uk gps about this stuff is a most impossible, he just laughed at me earlier on the phone giving it ‘Carl, you have Covid, I’m amazed your even discussing other things like back surgery/injections xyz’…..he didn’t discount the drugs I have though

one of the kids has it, she’s totally solid zero symptoms ores remarkable, other one hasn’t caught it again, remarkable! My other half seems like she hasn’t got it either

all I want to do is get out on the bike :), I can’t see a recovery from this thing in hurry or that the process is only temporary days!

someone please go give covid a big kick in the dick for me!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles