Who is this company Commencal?

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
I know I'm exposing my US ignorance, but I've never heard of this company before. Is it a respected company in europe? How long have they been selling in the US? Anybody on this forum, in the US buy one? It looks like they don't have any dealers, but they sell online.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
In US mtb terms, that's somewhere between "who are transition" and "who are Santa Cruz".

Commencal have been around since about 2000, based out of Andora, a country about the size of NYC. They probably fall into the second tier of popularity in the UK, you see quite a few out at trails and bike parks here. A mate rode a 160mm Commencal Meta for a few years, it was one of the most fun bikes I've ridden and it took a lot of abuse, including a couple of weeks at whistler.

No idea what dealer support is like in the US, I would check before buying one.

Some history is here: https://www.commencal-store.co.uk/Mobile/MBCPPlayer.asp?ID=1349639

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Recently read commencal have opened a second us based wing . Not heard of Commencal , check out the world enduro series they have winning bikes or should I say winning riders on their bikes

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
Commencal was founded by Max Commencal, he was with Sunn before he started his own brand.
They used to sell their bikes the usual way, with import company's and a dealer network but switched to internet selling some years ago. That may be the reason that they are very competetive in the price to quality department.

The Meta 650 is supposed to be a really good descender, and they have a 29er version coming soon. Looking good too I think.
I just bought a Merida, the Commencal was the only alternative on my (very) shortlist ;)

If the fact that they don't have dealers isn't a problem for you and you like the bike I don't see a reason not to buy a Commencal...

smokey_jo

Patreon
Jun 28, 2018
Uk
My normal bike is a commencal hip hop, handling is great, suspension action is very good for only 120mm, sorted geometry and pictures and bushings rarely need attention. If only they hadn't made the bottom bracket push fit and made it impossible to convert to screw in it would be spot on.

Heard rumors of mid 2000 meta seatstays cracking but things have changed there I think. The new meta non e-bike looks just right.

Oh and they are direct sales now just like Canyon, might be worth checking service and warranty procedures in case things do go wrong

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Max Commencal was the former head of Sunn bikes. Sunn had some of the greatest riders in the world riding for them, Christine Leveque a BMX world Champ, Anne Caroline Chauson a multiple world champion, Nicolas Voullioz need I say more?

Don’t know the details, but somehow Max was forced out and he started Commencal. I believe Cedric Gracia was part owner at one point.
They were at one time distributed in the USA by BTI-USA and then I think they tried to do it themselves. After awhile they pulled the plug on the whole thing and now are using a direct to consumer model. I have mixed feelings about direct to consumer brands but I do understand the benefits of it.

Direct to consumer brands were not much of a threat to us brick and mortar shops in the US because most of these brands offered mediocre product.

Now there are very good brands like Canyon, YT, Commencal and now even Intense are all consumer direct. These are all very good bikes. Our shop will assemble any of these bikes, because we need to open minded and look to the future of our business.

Commencal is a very good brand, not going to lie

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Max Commencal was the former head of Sunn bikes. Sunn had some of the greatest riders in the world riding for them, Christine Leveque a BMX world Champ, Anne Caroline Chauson a multiple world champion, Nicolas Voullioz need I say more?

Don’t know the details, but somehow Max was forced out and he started Commencal. I believe Cedric Gracia was part owner at one point.
They were at one time distributed in the USA by BTI-USA and then I think they tried to do it themselves. After awhile they pulled the plug on the whole thing and now are using a direct to consumer model. I have mixed feelings about direct to consumer brands but I do understand the benefits of it.

Direct to consumer brands were not much of a threat to us brick and mortar shops in the US because most of these brands offered mediocre product.

Now there are very good brands like Canyon, YT, Commencal and now even Intense are all consumer direct. These are all very good bikes. Our shop will assemble any of these bikes, because we need to open minded and look to the future of our business.

Commencal is a very good brand, not going to lie

I like that your shop will assemble the bike etc , I think that’s the concern of so many who can’t do it themselves . I think lost of of shops don’t see past the original sale , maybe you don’t sell the bike but you can still get a loyal customer who buys parts and gear etc and has servicing done .

I think I see so most of the direct sales brands you mention at rave events mainly enduros , I guess that because most of those riders are experienced and sorting their own mechanics out etc . Plus not all have a huge budget but need A bike that performs .
I notice chain reaction selling a few commencal bikes at good prices too , and they are current models , so not sure what’s going on there with the direct sales model But also good to know you could go via a dealer and chain reaction are amazing for warranty help

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I like that your shop will assemble the bike etc , I think that’s the concern of so many who can’t do it themselves . I think lost of of shops don’t see past the original sale , maybe you don’t sell the bike but you can still get a loyal customer who buys parts and gear etc and has servicing done .

I think I see so most of the direct sales brands you mention at rave events mainly enduros , I guess that because most of those riders are experienced and sorting their own mechanics out etc . Plus not all have a huge budget but need A bike that performs .
I notice chain reaction selling a few commencal bikes at good prices too , and they are current models , so not sure what’s going on there with the direct sales model But also good to know you could go via a dealer and chain reaction are amazing for warranty help
In the US it’s a direct sales model, because Commencal doesn’t have much of a following here

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
In the US it’s a direct sales model, because Commencal doesn’t have much of a following here

I read on their website they are opening a us branch of the company , there was one already I believe it moved to a better mtb area and is now bigger .
But deffo seems to be a more European brand

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles