Who here was asking for suspension set-up advice again?

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Seb Stott does a pretty good job of making it fairly easy to understand in this video

The previous baseline set-up vid if you're more of a noob to suspension set-up

Nice one ?? Thanks ??

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
For anyone who does geek out about suspension and has a good understanding of how to tune it. This is pretty funny...

But I've always loved when a super fast incredible rider just doesn't really GAF.

:LOL:

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Seb Stott does a pretty good job of making it fairly easy to understand in this video

The previous baseline set-up vid if you're more of a noob to suspension set-up

I used the basic video technique today and got a new level of smooth. I am only using 80% of travel with about 25% sag, should I drop the pressure? 2018 Levo with 94kg rider with full kit, 90psi front 210psi rear.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yes. try less pressure (it'll give you more sag though)
I run way less sag than most. As described in both videos. it's personal preference too.

you haven't said which fork, what travel it is or how many volume spacers you are running so quoting your pressures and weight is irrelevant
Same with your shock

EbikeTom

Sep 23, 2018
Annecy, France
I used the basic video technique today and got a new level of smooth. I am only using 80% of travel with about 25% sag, should I drop the pressure? 2018 Levo with 94kg rider with full kit, 90psi front 210psi rear.

I think it depends on the terrain you’re riding and how aggressive you are, generally you’re better with less pressure more bottomless tokens. If you can get your hands on a shock wiz for a weekend it really helps. You should definitely be getting more than 80% travel (and especially on the rear where you want max grip). I wouldn’t worry too much about sag, it’s only a starting point.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
generally you’re better with less pressure more bottomless tokens.
better in what way though?
Remember with suspension set up there is no "generally". Personal preference and rider style comes into it too much for there to be a general rule. even on spring rate, leverage curve and sag. Which is all tokens and air pressure alone actually affect

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Yes. try less pressure (it'll give you more sag though)
I run way less sag than most. As described in both videos. it's personal preference too.

you haven't said which fork, what travel it is or how many volume spacers you are running so quoting your pressures and weight is irrelevant
Same with your shock

2018 Levo Al comp, so 150 Reba front and 140 Monarch back, I have not added any tokens and am not sure if the bike comes preloaded with any?
I am not doing any jumps or drop-offs more than 50cms but a lot of steep root gardens where I don't want the fork to dive if I cock it up. I am trying to reduce the "chatter" coming back from the front end when I hit roots or ruts 100mm deep at speed.

EbikeTom

Sep 23, 2018
Annecy, France
2018 Levo Al comp, so 150 Reba front and 140 Monarch back, I have not added any tokens and am not sure if the bike comes preloaded with any?
I am not doing any jumps or drop-offs more than 50cms but a lot of steep root gardens where I don't want the fork to dive if I cock it up. I am trying to reduce the "chatter" coming back from the front end when I hit roots or ruts 100mm deep at speed.

Sounds like we’re riding similar terrain, I’m in Annecy and had similar dilemmas with the rock gardens and the super steep trails when I moved out from the UK.

I’m riding 160 lyriks and have gone to 3 bottomless tokens, with the pressure set so they feel plush in the lower 1/2 of the travel and I’m almost using full travel on the big hits (but never completely). I was told not to use air pressure to hold the front up, because you’re effectively turning your trail fork into and xc fork. If you’re feeling a bit over the bars in the steep stuff, try another spacer under the stem or high rise bars to lift you up.

You definitely want to be using as much of the rear full travel as possible as well, the last thing you want in rocky terrain is a steeper head angle than necessary.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I was told not to use air pressure to hold the front up, because you’re effectively turning your trail fork into and xc fork.
Who told you this?
I ride a lot of very steep trails so want my fork to sit up in it's travel for front end support, stability and to retain geometry (ie. less fork dive) and run higher pressure/less sag than most which also allows me to run no tokens at all and reach *almost* full travel on the harshest of hits. This also means my fork is far more linear than a fork filled with tokens towards the end of the stroke(Being air it'll never be linear). too soft a fork in the first half of it's travel will give greater small bump performance but to me is the definition of fork dive and not what I'd ever want on super steep terain.
See? We're all different, eh?

One rider's 160mm Lyrik settings are massively irrelevant to another's. Nevermind when the other rider's using a completely different travel and fork.

eg. my Lyrik is 170mm travel so naturally ramps up more towards the end than the same fork at 160mm. Put the narrower air chamber and shorter travel of the Reba into the equasion and you can see how irrelevant my settings wouldn't be suitable. Nevermind for a different rider of different weight, skill level and riding style.

Sharing how your settings work is helpful. Sharing actual settings not so much.

EbikeTom

Sep 23, 2018
Annecy, France
Who told you this?
I ride a lot of very steep trails so want my fork to sit up in it's travel for front end support, stability and to retain geometry (ie. less fork dive) and run higher pressure/less sag than most which also allows me to run no tokens at all and reach *almost* full travel on the harshest of hits. This also means my fork is far more linear than a fork filled with tokens towards the end of the stroke(Being air it'll never be linear). too soft a fork in the first half of it's travel will give greater small bump performance but to me is the definition of fork dive and not what I'd ever want on super steep terain.
See? We're all different, eh?

One rider's 160mm Lyrik settings are massively irrelevant to another's. Nevermind when the other rider's using a completely different travel and fork.

eg. my Lyrik is 170mm travel so naturally ramps up more towards the end than the same fork at 160mm. Put the narrower air chamber and shorter travel of the Reba into the equasion and you can see how irrelevant my settings wouldn't be suitable. Nevermind for a different rider of different weight, skill level and riding style.

Sharing how your settings work is helpful. Sharing actual settings not so much.

Interesting, I ran that way when I had 36’s and they felt great, moved to Lyriks, set them up similar and it felt like i wasn’t getting the same front wheel grip, they felt wooden. I got chatting to a guy in one of the shops in Chamonix and he convinced me to try a couple of tokens and drop the pressure a few psi. I’ve had a shock wiz on too and it’s not made any recommendations or picked up any bad detections, so I feel fairly confident for my riding style and where I’m riding they’re set up right for me.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Clue: We probably don't ride the same

no electronic valve pressure data measuring devive can know how I want my fork. (I do know there are settings for rider style/pref)

My Lyriks may well feel wooden to you (or many others), they aren't the most active small bump compliant set up possible but the harder they're ridden the better they feel.
I simply couldn't get the same pop/support off the front if I were to drop the presure and fill them up with tokens either.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
FWIW I'm not actually arguing with your advice here, I'm simply trying to get you to realise that even two almost identical weight riders on the same bike with the same suspension components can have completely different set-up preferences. Neither rider's settings are necessarily wrong. Infact both may be running optimum settings for themselves and how they ride. And because of this giving out suspension advice to strangers on the internet is an absolute minefiled. explaining what each adjustment does and letting them figure out what their own pref is is far more helpful.

EbikeTom

Sep 23, 2018
Annecy, France
FWIW I'm not actually arguing with your advice here, I'm simply trying to get you to realise that even two almost identical weight riders on the same bike with the same suspension components can have completely different set-up preferences. Neither rider's settings are necessarily wrong. Infact both may be running optimum settings for themselves and how they ride. And because of this giving out suspension advice to strangers on the internet is an absolute minefiled. explaining what each adjustment does and letting them figure out what their own pref is is far more helpful.

Point taken.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Can you put them in the thread as a rolling summary ? I can't really be bothered reading all the thread to get the information I need.

Oh, and if I'm using a backpack when setting sag, is it better to have it traditionally mounted on your back or front slung instead ?

And maybe if people can stop using percentages as this is confusing, maybe we could set sag with say, two fingers ? or a finger and a thumb ? Or a toe might be better ? Then you could balance on the bike and reach forward with a naked foot and measure it like that ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you're using a backpack to set sag. I'd assume you're planning to let the backpack ride the bike without you.
Seems a weird idea but I suppose It might improve your bike's riding ability ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles