Which fork should I keep/sell & fork trail/offset

Plutohora

Oct 16, 2022
UK
Currently I have Lyrik Ultimates which are also 150mm which I didn't I didn't realise, I always thought they were 160! Now. The Lyriks are 42 trail, the Orbea Fox 44mm. Which is ...better trailwise?

Which will be more sellable, I feel the Fox will. New and possibly high retail etc. Whereas the Lyriks are 'lived in'.

I must admit I've been bamboozled by the numerous adjustments on the Lyrik.

Thoughts. I'm stuck.

Screenshot_20221023-180422_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20221023-173859_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Currently I have Lyrik Ultimates which are also 150mm which I didn't I didn't realise, I always thought they were 160! Now. The Lyriks are 42 trail, the Orbea Fox 44mm. Which is ...better trailwise?

Which will be more sellable, I feel the Fox will. New and possibly high retail etc. Whereas the Lyriks are 'lived in'.

I must admit I've been bamboozled by the numerous adjustments on the Lyrik.

Thoughts. I'm stuck.

View attachment 99921 View attachment 99922
Plutohora,

The Rockshox Lyric is a very good fork. Several of my friends who have Rises are using the Lyric. My buddies tell me the Lyric has better small bump compliance when compared to the Fox 36.

I personally use a Fox 36. I like Fox products simply because that's what I know and understand. I'd have no issues with riding either fork, they are both very good and serve the same purpose well.

Life is about choices, I'd stick with the Lyric and spend the money you save on a SRAM AXS shift system or range extender. In regards to resale value, Fox or Rockshox? It depends upon the buyer, some people swear by Rockshox and some like Fox. Lastly, if you do buy a new Fox fork, this a good possibility you'll hit it on a rock and there goes your resale value.

Increasing Travel:
If you are not aware, you can easily and cheaply increase the travel on your Lyric from 150mm to 160mm. All you will need to do is replace the 150mm air spring shaft with a 160mm air spring shaft. The air spring coasts about $45. There are a number of videos on YouTube which show how to make the change.

You can find the part number for the correct air spring shaft in the Rockshox parts catalogue:

Fork Offset:
There are several good articles online which explain what "Fork Offset" means and how it works. Here's a down & dirty quick explanation:
Screenshot 2022-11-01 08.53.07.jpg

Reduced Fork Offset = Increased Trail:

Increasing trail improves straight-line stability. The front wheel feels harder to turn but also harder to knock off line.

Increased Fork Offset = Reduced Trail:
Decreasing trail improves agility. The front wheel feels easier to turn and it can make a bike feel more nimble.

As you've noticed, Orbea uses Fox and Marzocchi forks with have 44mm fork offsets. The Rockshox Lyric has a 42mm offset. Theoretically, the Fox with it's 44mm offset means "Trail" has been increased and therefore it should offer a slightly more nimble steering feel. The Rochshox with it's 42mm offset increases "Trail" and therefore it offers a more stable steering feel.

Orbea considers the Rise a "Trail" bike. However, forum readers know that with a few tweaks in suspension, the Rise makes an incredible hard hitting trail bike. If you do go with the suspension modification route, you may want a 42mm offset. In truth, I highly doubt you would even notice a difference between the two fork offsets. The difference between 42mm and 44mm isn't that great.

Be safe,
Rod

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles