• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Which E-bike for my brother?

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
He wanted pretty much the same bike as mine, but they are few and far between second hand, and I’m not spending £4500 on a new one. On my current budget, two new bikes have caught my eye:

There’s the Cube Stereo Hybrid 120 HPA 27.5 SL 500 EBike 2017, with a Bosch CX, which has a cheap fork the Fox 34 rhythm, and the tyres leave a lot to be desired (Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.8s), as I would prefer top of the range pair of Maxxis Minions. It also has crap XT brakes (see latest E-Mountain Bike Magazine review on brakes).

And then there’s hardtail, the Vitus E Sentier VR 2018... pretty much the same issues, except it’s got decent tyres. £900 cheaper though... Now I could get a top end fork with that money, and no need to spend any more on a rear shock (as it has none).

I would be looking at an overhaul of both bikes in the future... change the fork, brakes, even getting a new group set.

I haven’t tested them, so I don’t know if I would change any other parts. This is ending up being Trigger’s broom... sigh.

I could wait a while and save up for something top spec (except I wouldn’t chip in for a carbon frame, not at today’s price point), but it would be a long wait, and he wants an E bike as soon as possible, really. The E Sommet VR would have just scraped in my price range, but they sold out months ago.

If pushed, I would be leaning on getting him the Vitus because it will satisfy him for now, while I gather the funds to get him something top spec.

I don’t know what the next-best-value-for-money-top-spec-e-bike would be after the E sommet VR, so any suggestions welcome. I don’t mind second hand, but it would have to be either mint top spec, or something that had a decent frame and motor, but everything else needed upgrading (and be cheap enough for it to be worth it in comparison). Sorry for waffling on.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have the Sommett VR and the Sentier VR.

Two very different bikes, but both lots of fun - The Sentier VR does not really need much upgrading, if any IMO, as the kit it comes with is good and it can take a pounding. The stock Sentier you would upgrade.

IMO the Sentier VR is probably the best hardtail EMTB out there, so you wouldn't be getting your brother a cheap bike, just a bargain one. You can of course upgrade parts on it, but from my riding of mine there is nothing that needs upgrading.

The only thing it would say is that its obviously a hardtail, so you do not get he plush ride up the hills etc that you get from an FS, and if he's test ridden lots of FS it may be shock.

Vitus E-Sentier - EMTB Forums

IMG_1982.jpg

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Yeah I meant the VR... corrected.

The VR I can get for £1800 down from £2900 and the Cube £2700 from £4300. The cube looks like the winner there.

Specs for the cube:

• Frame: HPA Ultralight, Advanced Hydroform, Triple Butted, ETC 4-Link, ATG, Boost 148mm, Tuned Drive Position, AXH
  • Fork: Fox 34 Rhythm, 2-Position Sweep-Adjust GRIP Damper, Tapered, Boost 15QR, 120mm
  • Shock: Fox Float DPS Performance, 184x44mm, Open/Medium/Firm Mode, EVOL Air Sleeve
  • Shock Hardware: Top: 30x8mm, Bottom: 30x8mm
  • Headset: FSA Orbit Z-t, Top Zero-Stack 1 1/8" (OD44mm), Bottom Integrated 1 1/2"
  • Stem: Cube Performance Stem Pro, 31.8mm
  • Handlebar: Cube Rise Trail Bar Pro, 740mm
  • Grips: Cube MTB Grip
  • Front Derailleur: N/A
  • Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT RD-M8000-DGS, ShadowPlus, 11-Speed, Direct Mount
  • Shifters: Shimano XT SL-M8000
  • Brake System: Shimano XT BR-M8000, Hydr. Disc Brake
  • Crankset: FSA CK-745, 16T
  • Cassette: Shimano XT CS-M8000, 11-46T
  • Chain: KMC X11e, EcoProTeQ
  • Wheelset: Answer Plus Atac, 15mm Boost/X12 Boost, Tubeless-Ready 40mm Rims
  • Tyres: Schwalbe Nobby Nic Kevlar 2.8, TrailStar, Apex, Tubeless Easy
  • Saddle: Selle Royal MTB
  • Seatpost: Cube Dropper Post, Handlebar Lever, Internal Cable Routing, 31.6mm, 458x150mm (400x120mm for smallest frame size)
  • Seatclamp: Cube Screwlock, 34.9mm
  • Engine: Bosch Drive Unit Performance CX (75Nm) Cruise (250Watt)
  • Battery: Bosch PowerPack 500
  • Display: Bosch Purion
  • Weight: 23.5kg
Specs for the Vitus:

• Frame: Mechanically formed Triple Butted 6061-T6 Aluminium
  • Forks: RockShox Revelation RC, 150mm travel, DebonAir spring, Motion Control RC Damper, External Rebound adjuster, Low Speed Compression to Lock, Ø35mm Alloy stanchions – fast black coating, tapered aluminium steerer, Boost 15x110mm axle, 46mm offset, Maxle Lite
Groupset:

• Chainset: Shimano E8000, 170mm, 34T, Boost
  • Motor: Shimano Steps E8000 eMTB motor system
  • Shifters: Shimano SLX SL-M7000-IR Rapid Fire Plus, I-Spec II, 11-Speed
  • Chainguide: Shimano Steps
  • Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT RD-M8000 Shadow Plus
  • Cassette: Shimano CS-M7000, 11T-42T, 11-Speed
  • Chain: KMC X11E, 11-Speed
Wheelset:

• Wheelset: DT Swiss M1900 Spline 30 – Tubeless Ready
  • Tyres:
    • Front: Maxxis Minion DHF Maxx Grip, 3C/TR/DD, 27.5” x 2.5”
    • Rear: Maxxis Minion DHF Maxx Grip, 3C/TR/DD, 27.5” x 2.5”
Components:

• Front Brake: SRAM Guide RE Hydraulic Disc, 200mm rotor
  • Rear Brake: SRAM Guide RE Hydraulic Disc, 200mm rotor
  • Handlebars: Nukeproof Neutron, Double Butted Alloy, 25mm rise; 780mm wide (S/M) or 800mm wide (L/XL)
  • Headset: FSA Orbit 1.5 Zero Stack (No.57), 1.1/8” – 1.5”
  • Stem: Nukeproof Neutron stem, 45mm extension
  • Saddle: Nukeproof Neutron
  • Seatpost: Brand-X Ascend XL Stealth Dropper, 31.6mm x 150mm drop (120mm Drop on size S)
  • Seatclamp: Nukeproof Bolt

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Hmm that cube is good, but I like the CRC 0% finance spread over two years via PayPal. Does anywhere else offer that kind of finance? It would cost me 75 quid a month for the Vitus, so I could make him pay... he earns 30 quid a week for going to school this year, leaving him 45 quid leftover every 4 weeks. Even with the Cube he could still technically pay as it would cost £112.50 per month. He gets free room and board, so he’s not going to starve.

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Bump. I didn’t get the Vitus in the end, partly because I missed the best deal, and partly because I found another bike on EBay. However, the bike on EBay was de-listed, so I am in the market again for another bike.

The Ghost Kato FS S6.7+ E-Bike 2018 is down to £3024 from £4800 for me. The spec is more like it, but now that I know about the 2019 E Sommet VR coming in November, I may just wait for that.

Spec of the Ghost :

• Frame: Hybride Kato FS AL
  • Forks: RockShox Yari RC Debon Air, Travel: 140mm
  • Rear Shock: RockShox Deluxe RT Air, Travel: 140mm
Groupset:

• Chainset: Shimano FC-E8000 34T
  • Shift Levers: Shimano SLX SL-M7000
  • Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT RD-M8000 Shadow Plus 11 speed
  • Cassette: Shimano SLX CS-M7000, 11-46T
Wheelset:

• Wheelset: DT Swiss H 1900 Spline 35mm, Front: 15x110mm; Rear: 12x148mm
  • Front Tyre: Maxxis Minion DHF 3C MaxxTerra Exo 27.5x2.6"
  • Rear Tyre: Maxxis Minion DHR II 3C MaxxTerra Exo 27.5x2.8"
Components:

• Brakes: Magura MT 5 4/4 piston, 203/203mm rotors
  • Handlebars: Ghost Low Riser MTB, Width: 760mm; Rise: 15mm; Diameter: 35mm
  • Stem: Ghost MTB, Diameter: 35mm
  • Saddle: Selle Italia X-Base
  • Seatpost: JD Dropper Post 31.6mm
  • Display: Shimano SC-E8000
  • Motor: Shimano STEPS DU-E8000, 250W, 70 Nm
  • Battery: Shimano BT-E8010 504 Wh
  • Charger: Shimano EC-E6000

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles