• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Which D lock should I buy?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I know it’s a trade off between security and weight but I’ve heard that bolt cutters can’t get through steel of at least 16mm. You would need an angle grinder for this. Quite heavy some of these at over 2kg. What are the rest of you using to secure your bikes?

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Always a gold rated lock (based on UK Sold Secure ratings).

Even 'gold' rated locks vary a lot in terms of price, weight and security. So I actually have a range of them.

A krypto mini, which is plenty light to carry around, even when I do long epic rides (if needed).
A krypto New York as my 'heavy' lock that I leave at work and also use to lock up for longer periods in town.
A krypto EVo2 chain, which is my super heavy chain for chain a number of bikes together to a ground anchor.

I have *even more* locks than this which are mostly bronze/silver rated Abus that are secondary locks, cafe locks, etc etc. Plus, I have cables to thread through to secure wheels, seats etc.

I always use multiple levels of security, some you can see, some you cant, but starting with one of those three locks as the foundation, depending on where and when I am locking up.

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Generally, I've found the cheaper/mid-range (bronze/silver rated) Abus to be far better value than Krypto. But the higher end Krypto seem better value than Abus.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
All very useful info. I quite like the look of the krypto 16mm extra long D lock (gold rated) to secure the frame and back wheel to a bike post.
I could also use my current cable combination lock to secure the front wheel rather than buying 2 new locks.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
Depends what you are using the lock for. I carry a light cable lock for when I am locking the bike in plain sight (coffee shop, nipping for a pee for 2 mins.. etc). If I was leaving the bike alone locked up for a while I was away from it I would want to use a good heavy chain or D Lock, but I never do this TBH. For lock up overnight in an outside garage or similar then a good heavy D Lock with a ground anchor (ABUS) if possible.
I would expect to pay £100+ for a good lock.
Also if buying a D-Lock make sure it will go around your frame if that's where you want to use it, my New York will but my Forgetaboutit won't.

Seven best bike locks 2019: a buyer's guide - Cycling Weekly

Last edited:

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
I quite like the look of the krypto 16mm extra long D lock (gold rated)

I have the long kypto evo2. It's really good for my boost rear end mtb and my cargo bike. On the other hand it's bulky to carry and not as secure as more expensive dlocks, if used on its own. It's good, but not great.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Always a gold rated lock (based on UK Sold Secure ratings).

Even 'gold' rated locks vary a lot in terms of price, weight and security. So I actually have a range of them.

A krypto mini, which is plenty light to carry around, even when I do long epic rides (if needed).
A krypto New York as my 'heavy' lock that I leave at work and also use to lock up for longer periods in town.
A krypto EVo2 chain, which is my super heavy chain for chain a number of bikes together to a ground anchor.

I have *even more* locks than this which are mostly bronze/silver rated Abus that are secondary locks, cafe locks, etc etc. Plus, I have cables to thread through to secure wheels, seats etc.

I always use multiple levels of security, some you can see, some you cant, but starting with one of those three locks as the foundation, depending on where and when I am locking up.

I like the reviews of the Abus granite 540 X plus. Difficult to get hold of the long version (300mm) plenty of 230mm available.
Is the 230mm version able to lock both the back wheel and the frame to a bike stand or is this asking too much? The bike is a reaction hybrid hardtail with quite big 2.6 wide tyres. Will any part of the frame do or does it have to go through the back wheel and thickest part of frame?

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
I like the reviews of the Abus granite 540 X plus. Difficult to get hold of the long version (300mm) plenty of 230mm available.
Is the 230mm version able to lock both the back wheel and the frame to a bike stand or is this asking too much? The bike is a reaction hybrid hardtail with quite big 2.6 wide tyres. Will any part of the frame do or does it have to go through the back wheel and thickest part of frame?

Depends on the frame. My 2017 Reaction HT is fine with a 230mm dlock. I assume if you have 2.6" tyres on yours you might have a later version with boost spacing? My other boost rear end bike struggles to get a 230mm through the frame/wheel and a typical bike stand.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Depends on the frame. My 2017 Reaction HT is fine with a 230mm dlock. I assume if you have 2.6" tyres on yours you might have a later version with boost spacing? My other boost rear end bike struggles to get a 230mm through the frame/wheel and a typical bike stand.

Yeah it’s a boost version with 2.6 tyres. I’ve found an Abus granite 540 X plus online which is a 300mm version. That will hopefully be long enough to do the job. I’ve got a combination cable lock i can use for the front wheel. Not sure what to do about the seat as I usually use a £50 gel seat which I wouldn’t want taken.

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
U-lock are too easily overcome, go for an Almax or Pragmasis 19mm (or now 22mm) chain, squire lock and torx ground anchor, heavy and expensive* but then bikes are bloody expensive, so why skimp on keeping them safe?

*a one off payment that you 'll use for years with the knowledge no scrote is gunna easily walk away with your pride and joy

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
U-lock are too easily overcome, go for an Almax or Pragmasis 19mm (or now 22mm) chain, squire lock and torx ground anchor, heavy and expensive* but then bikes are bloody expensive, so why skimp on keeping them safe?

*a one off payment that you 'll use for years with the knowledge no scrote is gunna easily walk away with your pride and joy

I’ve no doubt that is high quality gear but is that what you would use at home? Seems a bit heavy to carry around on trips. What would you use if going into town shopping for a few hours?

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
Yes home use, as you suspect it’s very heavy and no simply no, I wouldn’t leave my e-mtb in town for a couple of hour full stop, as that not what I bought it for. But if I was commuting to work or somewhere regularly, then yes I leave one there too. What 10% of you bike value, spent on a lock, vs having it stolen because you bought something ‘cheap’?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
For out and about a cable lock sold as a suitcase lock. Cheap and light. When with my mates in the Alps, we all had one and we linked all the bikes together in a random way. To get one bike free would have required at least three cables to be cut. It's more about slowing down the thief.

For home, as well as a secure garage, I have the Kryptonite New York Noose. The "Noose" effectively increases the length of your chain, see the picture. That is locked to a Kryptonite ground anchor with a Kryptonite key lock. All "gold" rated.
Kyrptonite in situ.jpg

I now have a towel between the chain and the bike because the tough chain covering might abrade the frame and/or shock.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
For out and about a cable lock sold as a suitcase lock. Cheap and light. When with my mates in the Alps, we all had one and we linked all the bikes together in a random way. To get one bike free would have required at least three cables to be cut. It's more about slowing down the thief.

For home, as well as a secure garage, I have the Kryptonite New York Noose. The "Noose" effectively increases the length of your chain, see the picture. That is locked to a Kryptonite ground anchor with a Kryptonite key lock. All "gold" rated.
View attachment 17532
I now have a towel between the chain and the bike because the tough chain covering might abrade the frame and/or shock.

Interesting. I’ve recently built a Trimetals bike storage shed. It has a thin metal floor and I have a concrete patio underneath. I guess I could put one of those ground anchors straight through like you have there and get a similar heavy chain.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Interesting. I’ve recently built a Trimetals bike storage shed. It has a thin metal floor and I have a concrete patio underneath. I guess I could put one of those ground anchors straight through like you have there and get a similar heavy chain.
The ground anchor requires three 5/8" holes in concrete. Don't even think about using a small drill. Get a heavy duty SDS impact drill. Beg borrow or steal one, if you have to. You can thank me later. I tried four different power drills before I managed to borrow the proper kit for the job. The problem is the pebbles in the concrete. If the drill is under-powered, the pebbles defect the tip of the drill and you end up with a hole that is 5/8" dia all the way down, but not straight - so the Rawlbolt won't slide down it. I tried tapping it in but it jammed and it would not pull out. I had to dismantle the Rawlbolt whilst it was still in the hole, lots of essential bits fell to the bottom of the hole and I had to use a piece of inner gear cable to hook them out. The came the job of rebuilding the Rawlbolt...... This happened twice! The job took ages. With the proper tool I had no such problems with the third hole.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles