Which bikes can be used with only a range extender, no internal battery installed?

scm007

Mar 23, 2022
Seattle
Which bikes can be used with only a range extender, no internal battery installed?

Shimano and Trek both sell a 160wh extender that can be used with theie bikes and power them in isolation. 2x these and you can fly with a usable ebike. The problem is that I want a FF bike with a similar characteristic. Im ok with aftermarket batteries (trailwatts etc). Ideas?

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Unfortunately the limit for flying is 100 wh per battery. That’s why no laptops have batteries larger. You can’t take range extenders.

EDIT: as pointed out below, this is incorrect. Sorry!

Last edited:

Psythepie

Nov 28, 2022
UK
1686217031333.png

The reason range extenders are a max' 160wh is precisely so that you can fly with them in hand luggage up to a maximum of 2.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Unfortunately the limit for flying is 100 wh per battery. That’s why no laptops have batteries larger. You can’t take range extenders.
the limit is 160wh in europe at least( same in the US I think) - which is why the range extender for the fuel exe is sized at 160wh.

for the op - the trek fuel exe can be used with only the range extender - if you can actually find a range extender in stock somewhere

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
the limit is 160wh in europe at least( same in the US I think) - which is why the range extender for the fuel exe is sized at 160wh.
You're right! I'd not realised that they were allowing that in carry-on. Interesting...

The CAA note that you need airline approval to carry the 100-160 range batteries. Anyone know how this works?

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
I’m riding a Trek EXe 9.7. I took it for a 20 mile ride, with the battery in but I left it turned off. The ride had one steep climb, about 800 feet of elevation in about 3/4 of a mile. The rest of the ride was slightly down hill on the way out and slightly uphill on the way back, with that steep, short descent on the way out. I was surprised at how well it pedaled, turned off. I wouldn’t hesitate to take the battery out, travel on a plane and ride it in analog mode.

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
anybody have experience building their own range extender?
anybody have experience building their own range extender?
Yes.

Here is a link to my custom build 700wh range extender. About the size of a 2l bottle

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles