Whew, that was exhausting!

Tom Scott

Jan 24, 2024
San Francisco
Hi, I'm Tom and I live in San Francisco. I've ridden bikes most of my adult life for transportation and exercise/pleasure. (I spent the 90s on my awesome Bridgestone MB4, my first real bike love. It was a "hardtail," or what was back then simply known as a "mountain bike." ) Anyhow, about 6 or 7 years ago my bikes were stolen from my basement and I thought, "Ok, maybe I'm too old for this bike stuff." So I held off replacing them. Eventually, I thought "Screw that, I'm not dead yet" so I bought a Trek Hybrid and fell in love with biking again, mostly on long rides around San Francisco. Employing the same "Screw that, I'm not dead yet" logic, a year or two later I bought my first proper mountain bike since my Bridgestone—a full-suspension Ibis Ripley AF. What a difference in technology 30 years makes. I love it.

Earlier this year, though, I noticed my endurance had dropped significantly when riding up giant hills. I've never been a strong or skilled rider but hill grinds are something I used to like, or at least not mind. But now it's becoming onerous and not fun at all. Then I got Covid and my energy dropped even further. Then I had a heart scare and I was limited from cardio for about 3 months.

Luckily my heart is fine and healthy and on Thursday my cardiologist cleared me to "Go for it, Don't Hold Back." Yesterday was my first time back on my Ibis in 3 months. Um, yikes.

So after somewhat exhausting months of casual research, weeks of circling finalists, and many days of hemming and hawing I've finally decided to take the e-MTB plunge. I think.

So unless I flip-flop again in a few hours I'm going to my local bike shop and order the Fuel EXe 8 GX AXS T-Type in Keswick Green. I was contemplating requesting tan sidewalls but my wife said it would "look like a girl's bike." So I think I'll just keep to the black tires. $7,400 is $1,500 over my max budget but I did some calculations (selling my Ibis, selling my Bruce Springsteen ticket, etc.) and I can justify it. Just to make sure I'm not a bad spouse I cleared this all with her.

Other contenders were the various versions of the aluminum Trek Fuel Exe's, and the various Orbea Rise options. But I've made my choice.

Wish me fortitude.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Hi, I'm Tom and I live in San Francisco. I've ridden bikes most of my adult life for transportation and exercise/pleasure. (I spent the 90s on my awesome Bridgestone MB4, my first real bike love. It was a "hardtail," or what was back then simply known as a "mountain bike." ) Anyhow, about 6 or 7 years ago my bikes were stolen from my basement and I thought, "Ok, maybe I'm too old for this bike stuff." So I held off replacing them. Eventually, I thought "Screw that, I'm not dead yet" so I bought a Trek Hybrid and fell in love with biking again, mostly on long rides around San Francisco. Employing the same "Screw that, I'm not dead yet" logic, a year or two later I bought my first proper mountain bike since my Bridgestone—a full-suspension Ibis Ripley AF. What a difference in technology 30 years makes. I love it.

Earlier this year, though, I noticed my endurance had dropped significantly when riding up giant hills. I've never been a strong or skilled rider but hill grinds are something I used to like, or at least not mind. But now it's becoming onerous and not fun at all. Then I got Covid and my energy dropped even further. Then I had a heart scare and I was limited from cardio for about 3 months.

Luckily my heart is fine and healthy and on Thursday my cardiologist cleared me to "Go for it, Don't Hold Back." Yesterday was my first time back on my Ibis in 3 months. Um, yikes.

So after somewhat exhausting months of casual research, weeks of circling finalists, and many days of hemming and hawing I've finally decided to take the e-MTB plunge. I think.

So unless I flip-flop again in a few hours I'm going to my local bike shop and order the Fuel EXe 8 GX AXS T-Type in Keswick Green. I was contemplating requesting tan sidewalls but my wife said it would "look like a girl's bike." So I think I'll just keep to the black tires. $7,400 is $1,500 over my max budget but I did some calculations (selling my Ibis, selling my Bruce Springsteen ticket, etc.) and I can justify it. Just to make sure I'm not a bad spouse I cleared this all with her.

Other contenders were the various versions of the aluminum Trek Fuel Exe's, and the various Orbea Rise options. But I've made my choice.

Wish me fortitude.
Welcome to your next obse$$ion. Your wife was right! Enjoy your new bike :)

Tom Scott

Jan 24, 2024
San Francisco
I picked it up Thursday afternoon! Unfortunately it’s too stormy to take it out on dirt but I did take it out on Friday around my hilly neighborhood . Any apprehension about my decision quickly faded away (whew!). It’s not so powerful that I felt like I was on a toy, but it was powerful enough to get me up a few 20% grade streets. Mostly it sort of feels like there’s a hand on your back giving you a subtle boost. I even rode a bit with no assist and it was fine. Basically I’ll be able to get as much exercise as I want. I can’t wait until the rain stops and the trails dry out a bit—probably in a week or two.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Just did the same today. Short test ride…can’t believe the power/weight ratio. Bigger ride tomorrow.

Had a little issue with the rear axle but Trek fixed that up right away. I did the ride wrap myself …it’s dry now and dry here now so I have no more excuses for a ride.

This is such a great bike (Fuel EXE 8 medium) .

Have fun!🤩

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I picked it up Thursday afternoon! Unfortunately it’s too stormy to take it out on dirt but I did take it out on Friday around my hilly neighborhood . Any apprehension about my decision quickly faded away (whew!). It’s not so powerful that I felt like I was on a toy, but it was powerful enough to get me up a few 20% grade streets. Mostly it sort of feels like there’s a hand on your back giving you a subtle boost. I even rode a bit with no assist and it was fine. Basically I’ll be able to get as much exercise as I want. I can’t wait until the rain stops and the trails dry out a bit—probably in a week or two.
Regarding my rear axle issue on the new drive train for the Fuel EXE 8. Something didn’t seem right. I noticed this while I was installing the ride wrap and then reinstalling the rear wheel.

There appeared to be a clearance issue between the upper and lower triangles where the axle enters on the drive side. When the axle was torqued to spec(10nm) things didn’t move freely.

It turns out the the axle nutt was installed backwards during the assembly process at the factory. There is a thin plastic spacer that needs to be positioned between both triangles in order to prevent crushing or lockup. (My explanation is bad). There’s also a procedure for setting up the derailer properly (YouTube). Anyways, I learned a few things for this new type of “T” derailer. There’s no high/low/B-screw needed for fine tuning. Tuning is done through the app for this AXS derailer.

Everything is good now. I’m glad I noticed this before my first “real ride”. It was an easy fix but I was unable to find the exploded view for comparison. I went to the LBS and 4 of us diagnosed the problem and the three mechanics learned the intricacy and setup procedure of this “T” type mech.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
While I was at it, I figured I might as well install a rear fender. The Muddhugger spare fender that I have is typically for the front. With a few modifications it fits nicely on the rear.

Thin Velcro strips protects the paint from rubbing by the sip-ties. The lower portion of the fender must be slightly cut to fit (prevents buzzing). Four 3/16” holes were carefully measured and drilled through the main plastic fender body.

It’s tight, quiet and protects the seat tube, dropper and me. (Kinda).
IMG_7396.jpeg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
After a 2 1/2 hour ride I depleted the battery to40% remaining. Made some adjustments and I will probably make some more in the next few days.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles