Where’s my bike gone...

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
Went to Wind Hill bike park today. I have to say it was excellent, really enjoyed it. Must have got 30-40 runs in. So before I start, I have to say I’m more of a fast flowing bermy single track kind of guy as opposed to jumper, I don’t mind a little air but I’m not comfortable with big ones. Normally a red run is on my limit basically. So today started slow, got faster throughout the day. Eventually was getting quite a bit of air, a couple of times i came off the pedals a bit while jumping (I have flats). Thought that was odd never happened on my old non ebikes. Then caught a big jump, this time I left the whole damn bike behind! Felt like it was a metre below me! (Was probably 20-30cm in reality) I was convinced I was heading for a big off, somehow I managed to land back on the bike, then land the bike. So I’m thinking it’s probably crap technique on my behalf. But I’ve jumped similar heights on non-ebikes and never done that before. I wonder if all the weight and suspension on the bike means it drops away quicker? Or do I just need to learn some technique? :rolleyes:

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Well, my physics training (nearly 40 years ago) tells me that it must be your technique as objects of different mass would accelerate due to gravity (fall) at the same rate. Wind resistance could account for very small differences but I would expect that to be negligible.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Or do I just need to learn some technique? :rolleyes:
This.

A heavier bike simply needs greater pre-load in order to gain pop.
Pre-load is not just about pop though. it's what keeps the bike in contact with your feet. (contrary to the beliefs of too many spidermen using ugly stealth rubber soled mtb shoes)
Timing is slightly different on super long or super heavy bikes as well. but ultimately you need more practice.

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
Hmm, yes, need to think about Newton’s “action and reaction are equal and opposite”. Or I’ll follow your advice and just get some more practice. I’ll try pre-loading more and play around with the timings. Cheers guys :)

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Get your preload technique sorted ...
Then you and the bike will fly together .

I was having similar feelings . Felt like I was going one direction the bike another . Learnt to pre load and pop . Life was better .

Your suspension is doing what it wants when it wants . You need to be the Captain now .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles