When is an ebike not an ebike?

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
...when it's the new Marin Mount Vision, which seems to be taking the whole stealth ebike thing from the opposite end - it looks like an ebike, but is actually analog!
1551806867369.png

Not completely new I know (the Wolf Ridge and Polygons all use the same NAILD suspension design), but on this the chainstay swingarm and BB seem to come together that much tighter giving the impression there might be a motor down there. Veronique Sandler can sure shred on it though...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I was thinking the NAILD system might work pretty well on an EMTB, as from all the reports I have seen it makes a bike float over stuff, and the suspension hug the ground which is kind of how EMTB's ride anyway due to the weight, except of course the NAILD system layout means you likely can't fit a motor, due to how the stanchion/bb locate.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It shows you what assumptions can do. I looked at the picture assuming that I was looking at a very lightweight emtb with a minimal battery and a small motor. It took me more seconds than I'd like to admit to work it out!

Contrariwise, I told my mate I'd bought a new bike, but neglected to tell him it was an emtb (Focus Jam2). When he first saw it he loved the look of it, then he started to comment on the size of the downtube. It was then I told him about where the battery was, not realising that he didn't know it was an emtb! He was surprised to say the least. But the more he looked at it the more elements of "e" he saw. He loved his test ride, absolutely loved it - he had the grin! :love:

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
That seat tube angle makes me giggle
My eyes went straight to that too.
It is not as laid back as it looks - draw the effective seat tube angle from the BB to the saddle and it is a lot steeper. The problem though is the more you extend the seatpost the further back you will end up - certainly getting the right size must be even more important on these bikes, particularly for tall riders who are in danger of sitting way back over the rear wheel.

Last edited:

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
That'll be me then @ 6'3. That picture the seat is not even level with the bars. I've probably half that whole seat post exposed before the dropper. I'd be level with the hub coaster wheelies should be well easy

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Joe Murray was in on that design and also a skunk test rider for the E8000 during development. I asked him if there were any plans for an assisted version as it looked to me like it wouldn't be easy and he didn't say no.....

Gasser

Feb 6, 2019
Sidmouth Devon
Saw one of these at the FOD carpark before the forum ride, genuinely thought it was an e-bike and assumed the owner was there for the forum ride, when I asked, it was clear he had been asked many time before about his "e-bike" opps. But did look absolutely stunning and would love the chance to have a ride on one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles